You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

He played wide right for Blackburn and looked really good. Yes, he isn't rapid, but him getting ten minutes at the end of games in Salah's position would have been far better than trying to make him a central midfielder. 

Should have just been loaned out again really. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He played wide right for Blackburn and looked really good. Yes, he isn't rapid, but him getting ten minutes at the end of games in Sarah's position would have been far better than trying to make him a central midfielder. 

Should have just been loaned out again really. 

Sarah? We are playing like women so I'm not surprised.

He could become a Brian Hall-style player. But at the moment I watch him and have no idea what he's trying to do most of the time. He's definitely lost confidence, but he's obviously good technically. At the moment, thanks to Salah having zero interest in using his right foot and Trent going more and more for early long balls from deep, we've a pocket of wasted space down the right side of the opposition's penalty area, so for the short term I'd like to see Elliott told just to attack that area as much as possible, and shoot rather than try to find Salah through several sets of legs.

I've never been massively impressed with him but the stick he's getting at the moment is over the top. Still plenty of time for him to be a big player for Liverpool.

Two other points.

1 I think he's got a great pass on him

2 He needs to sort that fucking hair out

I dont buy into the idea that he’s not a midfielder. He’s definately not a winger, he’s simply too slow for that. 

Current top players that are similar to him I’d say are  Bernardo Silva and Odegaard. Not very fast and definately not the tallest (which some seem to think is a great quality for a footballer), but technically gifted, hard working and with great vision and passing.

The question isn’t whether he’s fast enough, tall enough or suited to be a midfielder. The question is simply whether or not he is, or ever will be, good enough. And that may take time. Looking at Odegaard he was some sort of wonderkid, making his full international debut at the age of 15 and his Real Madrid debut as far back as 2015 at the age of 16. After that it would take 7-8 years before he established himself as a regular midfielder at a top team in a top league, which is what we’re asking Elliott to do. Odegaard made it at the age of 23-24, Silva a bit earlier. Whether or not Elliott will ever make it that far remains to be seen, but drawing conclusions now, when he’s 20 and playing in a team where nothing works, and the player many said was the best in the world some 18 months ago is now putting in mediocre to shit performances twice a week, is far too early.

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I dont buy into the idea that he’s not a midfielder. He’s definately not a winger, he’s simply too slow for that. 

Current top players that are similar to him I’d say are  Bernardo Silva and Odegaard. Not very fast and definately not the tallest (which some seem to think is a great quality for a footballer), but technically gifted, hard working and with great vision and passing.

The question isn’t whether he’s fast enough, tall enough or suited to be a midfielder. The question is simply whether or not he is, or ever will be, good enough. And that may take time. Looking at Odegaard he was some sort of wonderkid, making his full international debut at the age of 15 and his Real Madrid debut as far back as 2015 at the age of 16. After that it would take 7-8 years before he established himself as a regular midfielder at a top team in a top league, which is what we’re asking Elliott to do. Odegaard made it at the age of 23-24, Silva a bit earlier. Whether or not Elliott will ever make it that far remains to be seen, but drawing conclusions now, when he’s 20 and playing in a team where nothing works, and the player many said was the best in the world some 18 months ago is now putting in mediocre to shit performances twice a week, is far too early.

I agree it's far too early to make decisions on him,but he really shouldn't be a first teamer yet and especially in a struggling team. But ultimately it's the economics of the situation which will decide things.

9 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

David Beckham says hello.

18 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

In fairness he's been terrible for ages, like the rest of the team so the "I told you so's" can get to fuck but he was superb tonight. More of the same please Harvey. Well pleased for him. 

He has been poor, but he was excellent tonight in his preferred position.  Really good, committed, exciting performance.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, an tha said:

He simply isn't a midfielder and it is such a big ask to ask a kid to learn a new position in a team with problems and perform well whilst doing so playing against teams at the highest level.

His best work is in the final third.

Wasn’t tonight was it really? Missed one sitter and a couple of other decent chances.  
Passing was all over the place as well so not his best game. Still works his arse off so hopefully better to come.

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Wasn’t tonight was it really? Missed one sitter and a couple of other decent chances.  
Passing was all over the place as well so not his best game. Still works his arse off so hopefully better to come.

He looks like he’s working because he’s out of position.   Against a team who move the ball quickly he’s more of a liability. 

We should only play him if we play with two sitting deep and he plays ahead of them at the point of the triangle. 

Its just horrible with him on the right of a flat midfield three. Shape of the team just looks shit