You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

On 18/08/2022 at 12:50, VladimirIlyich said:

Coutinho also won the CL as part of a Bayern team on loan there.

On 18/08/2022 at 12:49, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

2014-18 when we won nothing, he was good for us but better for the team when he went.

The £145m helped no end.

I'd be a damn sight more hopeful going forward if we'd  got him back here .

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Everyone waxing lyrical about Ben Doak, no one showing love for wee Harvey.

Call yourselves fans.

He's one of those few players I get soppy about on a personal level. It warms the cockles of my heart to see things like Salah hugging him when they were waiting for VAR to confirm his goal and the massive hug he gave Queef at the end last night.

• Upvote 2

He shouldnt be near the first team as a starter on current ability, but his experiences now should improve him a lot quicker than he normally would. I dont see much more than potential yet. I do like Calvin Ramsay as a potential right side option very soon,either as cover for Trent or as a wider midfielder or RB with Trent in front.

41 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He shouldnt be near the first team as a starter on current ability, but his experiences now should improve him a lot quicker than he normally would. I dont see much more than potential yet. I do like Calvin Ramsay as a potential right side option very soon,either as cover for Trent or as a wider midfielder or RB with Trent in front.

He absolutely should be, last night showed the levels he's above the others,  himself and Bobby came on and instantly looked head and shoulders above everyone else, and not just the kids, I include Kostas, Darwin and Ox too.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was keeping Thiago out of the team for the first few games of last season until that horrific injury. 

Now he’s keeping Henderson out of the team. 

He’s absolutely there on merit and current ability. His ceiling is unreal. If he had pace he’d already be a fucking megastar. Even still, when he gets the ball he moves it quickly, be it a pass or a quick burst of dribbling. 

Yeah, he's not been getting enough credit. I was saying the same a few weeks back. Again, it's worth remembering that he's 19, barely played at all last season, and now he's starting most weeks in a position that he's never really played before. Even if you think he's nothing special or whatever - that remains to be seen - he's actually helped us out of a massive hole by being competent and available. 

As for last night, he was great when he came on. 

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

If the World Cup was at the end of this season he'd make the squad.

Great young player with massive potential which was clear when we signed him and I get flabbergasted at some the luke warmness against him.

That's not certain. The manager is Gareth Southgate and he's just picked Maguire and someone who has played about 12 minutes of football in the last year. 

Just now, manwiththestick said:

True, Should have said that under normal circumstances in which the manager isn't an out of his depth, negative minded, boring yes man.

In Bellingham, Rice, Foden, Elliott, Trent and Maddison they could be a side that plays really good football. They won't like, but they could. 

18 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

He was keeping Thiago out of the team for the first few games of last season until that horrific injury. 

Now he’s keeping Henderson out of the team. 

He’s absolutely there on merit and current ability. His ceiling is unreal. If he had pace he’d already be a fucking megastar. Even still, when he gets the ball he moves it quickly, be it a pass or a quick burst of dribbling. 

'If he had pace' is a pretty big prerequisite too. You are already admitting a big weakness in his game given his current role. I think Firmino made a difference but Elliott was ordinary again. Not bad,not great.

He is getting better thanks to the minutes on the pitch. Still seems to be in that weird halfway house where his relative lack of pace doesn't make him ideal to play as a wide forward, and his attacking instincts mean he's not ideal as an 8 in Jürgen's midfield 3. Suso with work rate, but plenty of potential to get better if his attitude is anything to go by.

Just to add balance,neither do I think Carvalho should be near starting in the first team and should be getting minutes from the bench,like Elliott should. Carvalho looks technically better but Elliotts build should stand him in good stead going forward. And as for the age thing,if you are not getting some games or minutes with a PL first team by around 20/21 then it looks like you wont be at that club too long anymore. These lads have been playing organised football almost every week since they were 8/9/10 years old. They are forced to grow up in football much sooner now.

I still don't really see it with this kid. Not sure he's outstanding enough in any area of his play to make it here as a starter long term. I love his attitude and despite being about 4 foot 9 and six stone wet through he gets stuck in. Worth giving him proper minutes to see if he can kick on I guess. But that lack of pace and physicality is always going to hamper him, and right now his touch and technique aren't quite there to make up for it.