You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

On 10/11/2022 at 20:24, Jairzinho said:

In Bellingham, Rice, Foden, Elliott, Trent and Maddison they could be a side that plays really good football. They won't like, but they could. 

Can you shit on Southgate for being too conservative?

The nature of international football doesn’t lend itself to having a team of strangers playing expansive football.

He was a cunt hair away from winning a major tournament by just going full Burnley with a world class striker, in Kane.

The best managers in the business are in club football drilling their players weekly, so I don’t know that he’s wrong to keep it tight and reckon Kane will dive or score.

• 2 months later...

so what has the club done to this kid in the 12 months since we were all raving about him after his injury return and first goal?

What a difference a year makes. Who’s responsible? Pep or Jurgen or someone else? Now ‘he’s lost’ ‘not good enough’ ‘not ready’ ‘a kid in a man’s game’ etc etc.

Where do I get the answers?

2 hours ago, Red Shift said:

so what has the club done to this kid in the 12 months since we were all raving about him after his injury return and first goal?

What a difference a year makes. Who’s responsible? Pep or Jurgen or someone else? Now ‘he’s lost’ ‘not good enough’ ‘not ready’ ‘a kid in a man’s game’ etc etc.

Where do I get the answers?

He was never that good to begin with and he's likely not as bad as he looks now either. He just doesnt seem to have any pace at all though,which fits right in with our tortoise like midfield.

Unfortunately for Elliot, he’s playing in a team now that is so different from the team he made his debut and return from injury in.

Then, he was assisted by superior play around him, now he’s not and his deficiencies are glaring.

He isn’t on his own there of course, and there’s still the chance he can develop into the player we hoped he would, but the situation isn’t helping him at all and his confidence won’t be helped either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I understood the deal for Carvalho more than Elliott. I mean Carvalho looks like he's made of plasticine but fast and has an eye for goal. While Elliott looks chunky and has an eye for a sausage dinner.

I don't make much of either of them to be honest. They might come good but we've been here before, countless times over the last 30 odd years. 

Remember le gems? Fuck me.

The ONE time we've bought established quality like Virg and Alison it's improved the side immeasurably. Why, oh please god why, can't we just keep doing that?

Feel sorry for both him and Carvalho. Highly rated, came to a side that looked like a well oiled machine, then moved about and struggling to make an impact in a new position whilst everyone else is floundering.

He looked very good when he first switched to midfield; coincidentally that was when the team wasn't permanently drunk. 

15 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Feel sorry for both him and Carvalho. Highly rated, came to a side that looked like a well oiled machine, then moved about and struggling to make an impact in a new position whilst everyone else is floundering.

He looked very good when he first switched to midfield; coincidentally that was when the team wasn't permanently drunk. 

Both are technically very,very good but when a Klopp side is in full flow you need pace in attacking areas,except midfield and that is why Henderson,Milner,Fabinho,Can also to a degree,did well. The attacking areas are full when fit(no idea how OC is even starting there though atm?) of pace and while Carvalho has it Elliott doesn't. I think Klopp sees Elliott in midfiel long term,if he matures at the required level. The jury is out for him at present even at his young age. Decisions are made on these lads much quicker than ever before at big teams like ours.

Said it in another thread, his passing is shocking. If you're that small and have no pace you better be a damn good passer to play central midfield for a big club. His range of passing is so limited and he gives the ball away cheaply far too much. He also can't tackle or intercept anything. 

Him and Carvalho aren't struggling because of Klopp, they are struggling because of the jump up in level between the championship to the premiership and the jump from playing for a bottom tear club with low expectations to a top club expected to win every game.

Who parks the bus against Fulham? They got more space and time to create and were probably playing on the counter themselves. We don't play like that. The spaces in championship games are much bigger and the standard of players much weaker. Premiership is the top 0.1% along with elite coaches. You have to be a special player to make it at a top 4 club aiming to win the league and champions league every season. Elliot doesn't have enough attributes on his side, in my opinion. Carvalho probably has a better chance to make it here because he has more pace and technical ability. 

He's a talented player, anyone saying otherwise is just frustrated, but he might become a casualty of all the other bad shite at the club. 

Klopp absolutely believed in him. He made him a focal point of this tactical shift we made, along with Henderson. The role of the right side midfielder is the biggest tactical change we made, but that tactic is looking misguided, which in turn, makes Elliott look useless. The long term plan is obviously to have Bellingham and him play that position. That probably will not work out now, on both counts. 

What you can criticize him for is that he hasn't risen above the shite, whatsoever. As much as I'm not a huge fan of Darwin, he has to some extent been able to play his own game and flash his qualities. Elliott just looks like he's being dragged down permanently and there might not be a way back. I hope it isn't the case because I don't care what people say; he's good at football, but this is a bad situation. 

Carvalho, who can say. He knows where the goal is but tactically he looks unusable. 

• Upvote 2