You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

34 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I still don't really see it with this kid. Not sure he's outstanding enough in any area of his play to make it here as a starter long term. I love his attitude and despite being about 4 foot 9 and six stone wet through he gets stuck in. Worth giving him proper minutes to see if he can kick on I guess. But that lack of pace and physicality is always going to hamper him, and right now his touch and technique aren't quite there to make up for it.

I'd give him time yet, I reckon he's a still a serious talent. 

He's had a bad injury and had to play in a malfunctioning and ever-changing midfield this season with an often dodgy defence behind it. Even still, he's been our star man on a few occasions and has chipped in with a few goals. 

On the pace and strength thing, having neither has ever bothered Luka Modric, and Bernardo Silva doesn't even have shoulders. 

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

I still don't really see it with this kid. Not sure he's outstanding enough in any area of his play to make it here as a starter long term. I love his attitude and despite being about 4 foot 9 and six stone wet through he gets stuck in. Worth giving him proper minutes to see if he can kick on I guess. But that lack of pace and physicality is always going to hamper him, and right now his touch and technique aren't quite there to make up for it.

What are you watching and where are your expectations for a player of his age and experience?

There are literally only handfuls of players who are playing at the level he is playing at by his age, for a big, successful team. He affects the game more often than not, and rarely looks out of his depth alongside players who are somewhere on a scale between experienced international players through to world class superstars.

Trent came through at a similar age and was incredible. Who else? Foden at City. I’m not sure there’s many others I’d list as making a stronger mark and looking more the part than him at his age and stage of development.

I think (and correct me if I’m wrong) that @VladimirIlyich is saying he shouldn’t be a regular starter for us because WE should have better to call on to start for us, rather than because we do have better and so he shouldn’t be playing over some of the others. If I’m right on that, then that’s a fair view to hold, but to write off the lad at this stage, and say his touch and technique aren’t there - I just can’t see anyway to get behind that.

• Upvote 6

I'm not writing him off as a footballer, or even as a Liverpool player. I think even at his current level he's worthy of a place in the squad. But I'm sceptical he'll ever hit the heights of someone like peak Thiago as a centre mid, and that's the level we should be aiming for. (Don't think he'll reach the level of Bernardo, Modric etc either.) He might get there, but very few do, and right now I can't see it happening. Would be very happy indeed for him to prove me wrong.

19 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

What are you watching and where are your expectations for a player of his age and experience?

There are literally only handfuls of players who are playing at the level he is playing at by his age, for a big, successful team. He affects the game more often than not, and rarely looks out of his depth alongside players who are somewhere on a scale between experienced international players through to world class superstars.

Trent came through at a similar age and was incredible. Who else? Foden at City. I’m not sure there’s many others I’d list as making a stronger mark and looking more the part than him at his age and stage of development.

I think (and correct me if I’m wrong) that @VladimirIlyich is saying he shouldn’t be a regular starter for us because WE should have better to call on to start for us, rather than because we do have better and so he shouldn’t be playing over some of the others. If I’m right on that, then that’s a fair view to hold, but to write off the lad at this stage, and say his touch and technique aren’t there - I just can’t see anyway to get behind that.

Agree with this. Ideally he shouldn't be starting every minute, but it's hardly his fault. 

I was going to mention that people are maybe comparing him unfairly to 'Foden and....' but couldn't think of another example at a big club, which is a compliment to him. 

49 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I'm not writing him off as a footballer, or even as a Liverpool player. I think even at his current level he's worthy of a place in the squad. But I'm sceptical he'll ever hit the heights of someone like peak Thiago as a centre mid, and that's the level we should be aiming for. (Don't think he'll reach the level of Bernardo, Modric etc either.) He might get there, but very few do, and right now I can't see it happening. Would be very happy indeed for him to prove me wrong.

When was the last time we had a peak level Thiago type in midfield? Thiago aside.

50 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bernado Silva at age 21-23 was still playing for Benifca B team, he didn't even hit their first team before moving to Monaco.

3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

When was the last time we had a peak level Thiago type in midfield? Thiago aside.

Yes, it seems an odd requirement. Our young players must become one of the best in the world or they won't be of use. 

We spent £85m on Keita and Chamberlain. Surely bringing through some youth players to replace these types of turds is more than good enough. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, it seems an odd requirement. Our young players must become one of the best in the world or they won't be of use. 

We spent £85m on Keita and Chamberlain. Surely bringing through some youth players to replace these types of turds is more than good enough. 

Oh yeah the two who should be in their prime replacing Henderson and Wijnaldum, what a joke. I wanted Keita, shows what me and Jurgen know.

We won the league and the European Cup under Klopp without an Alonso/Thiago type. 

While it's great to have Thiago on the days that he's fit, I think we miss the energy and insane pressing of 2018-20 Fabinho/Henderson/Wijnaldum more than anything else. Milner was a few years younger too and often played his part. The fall-off since then affects both defence and attack.

In fairness, the club tried to freshen things up with the £50m+ Keita, but he should have been replaced long ago given our financial limitations. 

It will be diminishing returns with Hendo at this stage given his age, but hopefully Fabinho will have a return to form.

Still need to bring in a durable, energetic midfielder this January. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Exactly. Even if the best he has is what he's shown this season, I'd still expect him to have a decent career here. 

13 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Bernado Silva at age 21-23 was still playing for Benifca B team, he didn't even hit their first team before moving to Monaco.

And for me this is the crux of it all. He's 19, we should expect very little of him and he should be getting very little game time.

Personally, I think he's done fine for a player of his experience, but let's not kid ourselves, he's getting a game because our midfield is fucking wank, injured or both. If we had our midfield of a few years back, he'd barely get a kick. 

But being ahead of where Silva was at 19 means nothing for the club. We need players at Silva's level now. Man city weren't trying to play the lad at Benfica B. It's not Elliot's fault he's 19 but it's Liverpool's fault we're exposing him when he clearly isn't ready for the amount of time we're giving him. He'll be a good footballer somewhere. But we've seen nothing yet that can show us he will end up a bernando Silva or a Bernard Diomede. (And yes I know he was in a world cup squad that won the world cup!)