You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

2 hours ago, TheSire said:

That's the thing, not every youngster has to be the next Owen or Gerrard etc. Nothing wrong with some being squad players that can contribute over years to come, ones who don't quite make it can be sold to recoup £££ for the first team transfer budget.

It depends on the lad himself,ultimately. If he's happy enough to be a stand in and Cup player then we can do a lot worse. I wish we didn't play him on the right though as he isn't skilled enough to make up for the extreme left footedness,at least not yet.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It depends on the lad himself,ultimately. If he's happy enough to be a stand in and Cup player then we can do a lot worse. I wish we didn't play him on the right though as he isn't skilled enough to make up for the extreme left footedness,at least not yet.

I think he's better when he's a little deeper, he's a little one footed but he's very willing to run at defences from the midfield and defenders do back off him which opens up space and room for a shot or gives him more time to pick out a ball in behind. I think he'd be happy to rotate, he seems to genuinely love the club and has a level head on his shoulders.

10 minutes ago, TheSire said:

I think he's better when he's a little deeper, he's a little one footed but he's very willing to run at defences from the midfield and defenders do back off him which opens up space and room for a shot or gives him more time to pick out a ball in behind. I think he'd be happy to rotate, he seems to genuinely love the club and has a level head on his shoulders.

He's definitely better deeper. As a midfielder, he is more dangerous and creative than the majority, whereas, as a forward, he is less dangerous than the majority. Think it's really that simple. 

He'll lose duels in midfield due to his physicality, but in general Klopp seems comfortable with his defensive work. If he wasn't, he'd never play, and definitely not in midfield.

The problem really other than being small is that he isn't very safe with the ball. If you compare him with someone like Bernardo Silva, the big difference is that if you play him in midfield, he will produce, and then if you play him in attack, you can use him as a possession outlet because he simply doesn't lose the ball. It makes him very versatile. We can't do that with Elliott yet.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Kev’s caught a couple of big fish with this one. 

I don’t hate him or think that he’s evil. 

He’s a pretty handy player to bring off the bench when the opposition are tired. He’s just not very effective when he starts against grown adult men, particularly in away games, and I’m surprised at the lavish praise he draws on here.

It’s easy to forget because we had a good 2021/22 season but for the first few games that year he was keeping Thiago Alcantara out of the team on merit, until we played Leeds and they left him with his foot hanging off.  

I don’t think we’d ever see Thiago again if he got a proper injury like that. 

Harvey Elliot gives 100% whenever he plays for us, that is without dispute.

He and his family are Reds, and he’s living his dream out.

He is, however, limited in certain areas, despite his willingness to put everything on the line when he has the shirt on. 
For some, he will improve as he gets older and gains more experience, for others, he won’t improve enough to be considered a first team starter, but it’s what Jurgen Klopp thinks that will decide his Anfield career and, certainly currently, Klopp loves him and his contribution.

Ultimately, if he’s happy to stay and play when he’s needed, then he could be here for several years, but if he decides he wants/deserves more than he’s getting then that’ll be a very different scenario and could end up with him going elsewhere to get regular games.

I’m sure everyone hopes he can develop into an integral part of the first team squad and that he remains.

Time will tell though.

Brilliant squad option and great little player at his age, making a real contribution for a team that’s top of the league is no mean feat. Definitely good enough to be a squad player here, we shall see whether he kicks on and what his ceiling is. He’s played a lot of football for someone so young

18 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I’m sure everyone hopes he can develop into an integral part of the first team squad and that he remains.

Time will tell though.

What??? I hope his career slides into oblivion very soon and he cant even make his local school team!

PS Am I getting this internet thingy right yet?

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's definitely better deeper. As a midfielder, he is more dangerous and creative than the majority, whereas, as a forward, he is less dangerous than the majority. Think it's really that simple. 

He'll lose duels in midfield due to his physicality, but in general Klopp seems comfortable with his defensive work. If he wasn't, he'd never play, and definitely not in midfield.

The problem really other than being small is that he isn't very safe with the ball. If you compare him with someone like Bernardo Silva, the big difference is that if you play him in midfield, he will produce, and then if you play him in attack, you can use him as a possession outlet because he simply doesn't lose the ball. It makes him very versatile. We can't do that with Elliott yet.

Agree with all of this tbh. He's gained a bit of weight as he's obviously going to be on a physical training routine and obviously as you hit your 20s you fill out a bit so I think that'll get gradually better with time. I think he'll definitely improve each year as he's absolute not the type of young player to just reach the first team and put their feet up, you can tell he's hungry and up for it each game so he won't stand still imo.

1 hour ago, TheSire said:

Agree with all of this tbh. He's gained a bit of weight as he's obviously going to be on a physical training routine and obviously as you hit your 20s you fill out a bit so I think that'll get gradually better with time. I think he'll definitely improve each year as he's absolute not the type of young player to just reach the first team and put their feet up, you can tell he's hungry and up for it each game so he won't stand still imo.

I'll say he's hungry! Maybe he should plump (see what I did?) for the Pasta instead of the Cheeseburgers!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheBitch said:

57 appearances for Liverpool at the age of 20. 
I reckon Klopp knows a bit more than @Kevin D 

I wouldn’t dare compare my record to Klopp’s.

He has me comprehensively beat when it comes to moaning about Liverpool fans and bottling cup finals.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TheBitch said:

57 appearances for Liverpool at the age of 20. 
I reckon Klopp knows a bit more than @Kevin D 

And that's the bit we all need to keep in mind when judging him, he's 20. Wasn't that long ago people were saying jones wasn't good enough, now he's proving he is. I'm not saying Elliott will make it but we need to cut him some slack and see if he can.

4 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

And that's the bit we all need to keep in mind when judging him, he's 20. Wasn't that long ago people were saying jones wasn't good enough, now he's proving he is. I'm not saying Elliott will make it but we need to cut him some slack and see if he can.

That's not the way the internet works. We have to hound him out and say 'I told you so' constantly so we can win the internet and swagger around. 

Perish your thought!

• 4 weeks later...

It's a shame as I like him, he's obviously gives everything hes got and loves it here, but still don't see him as a starter in the current set up. Don't think he is fast or strong enough for midfield and his end product amd pace isn't there to play on the right. 

Good squad player and sub but don't really see a way for him to start games

He's good in that space on the right but when players are ahead of him. He's technically very good and has a good football brain but he can't win a foot race and is easily knocked off the ball. Time and space he's quality, he gets more of it later on in games. His work rate and determination just can't be questioned. He's a good option without being first choice, he's 20 years old fucking 20!

• Upvote 1