You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd rather we brought in Ramsey on a free in January than forked out for Fekir. 

Sell Sturridge and sign a boss striker with the Sturridge/Fekir money. 

Yeah, as soon as Sturridge goes we need to make sure we bring in somebody like Ramsey to fill his space on the physio bench. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Compare our starting line up and bench now to Klopp’s first game in charge, though. Notwithstanding the Coutinho-shaped hole behind the front three, a lot of great, sensible work has been done. We’re better everywhere (again, Coutinho’s position excepted). 

Don't disagree but its a moving target winning the league and it's annoying that we couldn't get Fekir when he was so obviously high on Klopp's bucket list. 

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Even had Fekir not started every game we may well have been better placed to make a change earlier in games with him on the bench. 

We were reluctant to use Shaqiri though against City & Napoli.

Ultimately none of us know.

But I definitely back Klopp, Edwards & the club on that deal.  They have the information about his knee.  Doesn't matter how much we like the player or if he would improve us or not.  The club have the medical information on whether his knee was worth the risk or not.  Which it appears it wasn't or not at that price.

We've had a brutal set of fixtures.  I can see Keita, Fabinho & Shaqiri getting more of a look in now they're over.  Keita & Shaqiri are two players who can help our creative issues.  The front three can play better too as they've had plenty of possession to do so & last season they were creating a lot of their chances.  Plus I also think Lallana can play a key role, if he can stay fit. 

I think it's a myth that January transfers usually make any kind of real positive difference to the rest of the season, but it does feel like if there's a deal on for an offensive midfielder that we like, then we should not wait. It's what this team is missing the most and we need to give ourselves every chance to contend for this title.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it's a myth that January transfers usually make any kind of real positive difference to the rest of the season, but it does feel like if there's a deal on for an offensive midfielder that we like, then we should not wait. It's what this team is missing the most and we need to give ourselves every chance to contend for this title.

tumblr_p25p2pixAf1ry6w4ro2_400.gif

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, LF:D said:

We were reluctant to use Shaqiri though against City & Napoli.

Ultimately none of us know.

But I definitely back Klopp, Edwards & the club on that deal.  They have the information about his knee.  Doesn't matter how much we like the player or if he would improve us or not.  The club have the medical information on whether his knee was worth the risk or not.  Which it appears it wasn't or not at that price.

We've had a brutal set of fixtures.  I can see Keita, Fabinho & Shaqiri getting more of a look in now they're over.  Keita & Shaqiri are two players who can help our creative issues.  The front three can play better too as they've had plenty of possession to do so & last season they were creating a lot of their chances.  Plus I also think Lallana can play a key role, if he can stay fit. 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bbe5a846a2f55494d

1 hour ago, etho said:

I reckon Klopp might have a hunch he has a creativity gap in our midfield, Post Coutinho and with no Ox 

Agreed. I was hoping Keita would fill that gap, but he doesn’t look like he’s even close to what Ox offered us pre-injury. Let’s hope he lifts his form sharpish. We need him to.

• Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Nah, I’ve been far too been watching old episodes of Treasure Hunt on Betamax.

I’m sick of philistines like you. Get yourself down to Woolworths or Radio Rentals for one of these new VHS players. They just released Crystal Maze and Games Master. Well worth the money. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

Agreed. I was hoping Keita would fill that gap, but he doesn’t look like he’s even close to what Ox offered us pre-injury. Let’s hope he lifts his form sharpish. We need him to.

But he's offering us more than chamberlain was through this same period last year. He's clearly a good player, he's just still settling in. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

But he's offering us more than chamberlain was through this same period last year. He's clearly a good player, he's just still settling in. 

Good point, I’m sure he’ll make it with us, I was just talking more in the mean time. Perhaps until then we could throw in another attacker or Shaqiri, and play Salah and Mane as more traditional wingers i.e. having 4 attacking players as opposed to 3.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Good point, I’m sure he’ll make it with us, I was just talking more in the mean time. Perhaps until then we could throw in another attacker or Shaqiri, and play Salah and Mane as more traditional wingers i.e. having 4 attacking players as opposed to 3.

We are clearly short in midfield and I think some of the difficulties we're having with the front 3 are in part due to the lack of support from midfield. Personally, I just don't think we have the players to solve the problem. Maybe as you say shaq, but the sub from klopp against Southampton for tactical reasons suggests klopp doesn't see it as a solution. Last season we had Coutinho till Xmas and chamberlain after. We've decided for whatever reason to just not be arsed about replacing that midfield driving force or just crossing our fingers it'll just be alright with Keita and lallana. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

We are clearly short in midfield and I think some of the difficulties we're having with the front 3 are in part due to the lack of support from midfield. Personally, I just don't think we have the players to solve the problem. Maybe as you say shaq, but the sub from klopp against Southampton for tactical reasons suggests klopp doesn't see it as a solution. Last season we had Coutinho till Xmas and chamberlain after. We've decided for whatever reason to just not be arsed about replacing that midfield driving force or just crossing our fingers it'll just be alright with Keita and lallana. 

Of course, another option is to pull Bobby back a bit and play Sturridge as our number 9.

• Downvote 1