You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Liverpool have emerged as favourites to sign Dani Ceballos after reports in Spain deemed it not possible to make a return to his former club Real Betis.

It was suggested earlier this week that Ceballos is desperate to leave Real Madrid this month after he struggled to make an impact since his €18million switch from Betis over the summer.

The player is tipped as one of the next big things in Spanish football but the move has failed to live up to expectations with the central midfielder consigned to just two appearances in La Liga for Zinedine Zidane’s side.

While Liverpool have been touted as a potential destination, his former club Betis had also stated their intentions to move for the player this month.

“In football it is difficult to say if something can happen or not, as anything can happen,” Los Verdiblancos president Angel Haro told Canal Sur.

“Yes I have heard a lot of rumours but right now we are focusing on planning but I cannot give out more information, but we do have certain budget limitations.

“We are trying to reinforce our most important positions and want to strengthen but in football it is not always possible for everything to work out as you want it.”

However, it has since emerged that Betis will be forbidden from making a move for Ceballos due to player registration laws in Spain.

According to reports, the  21-year-old has already been registered with the Seville-based club this season – despite sealing his switch to the Bernabeu in July.

And Marca report this is will prevent the Andalucian club making an approach for the dynamic midfielder, with La Liga rules forbidding a player to be registered twice in the same season with the same club.

Furthermore, reports in the Spanish press claim Liverpool have moved ahead of their rivals by meeting with the player for talks in a Madrid hotel.

Diario Gol said his agent has been locked in talks with the Reds, though four other unnamed clubs are keen to snap him up.

It was suggested earlier in the week that Ceballos believes a move to Liverpool can reignite his career and allow him to fulfill his early potential.

Ceballos has a €500million exit clause in his Real Madrid contract, although such has been his struggle to make an impact, it’s believed Real could sell for just £25million.

Why aren't we signing David Luiz? We could get him for £20m, if that, and he was the best centre back in the league last season. Still only 30 years old. He's got another 3 years in the top flight left in him.

Better idea is Everton buy him. That way we get a fellow Brazilian around Bobby to keep tha latter happy, and we dont have to let Luiz play for us.

In other words, I dont think he’d fit us, and definately not at this stage in his career.

Liverpool are set to spring something of a transfer surprise by swooping for Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman, according to reports in Italy.

Fresh from selling Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona for a fee that could reach £142million, the Reds are in no mood to rest on their laurels with R.IT Sports, via Calciomercato, claiming Jurgen Klopp is ready to activate the €45million buyout clause in Strootman’s contract.

Although nothing is confirmed at this stage, the news will come as something of a surprise given the player has long been linked with a move for Manchester United, and in particular, during Louis van Gaal’s time in charge.

The Holland midfielder, however, has struggled with injuries during his time in Serie A, having only made 108 appearances during his five seasons with the Giallarosi.

But with Emre Can looking increasingly likely to leave the club on a free transfer at the end of the season – with Juventus his preferred destination – Klopp needs a solid midfielder to come into the midfield to compliment and provide cover for incoming arrival Naby Keita.

Liverpool have already poached Roma over the past year with Mohamed Salah arriving at Anfield for a bargain £36.9million.

You're boss you Naby 

Liverpool have emerged as favourites to sign Dani Ceballos after reports in Spain deemed it not possible to make a return to his former club Real Betis.

It was suggested earlier in the week that Ceballos believes a move to Liverpool can reignite his career and allow him to fulfill his early potential.

Ceballos has a €500million exit clause in his Real Madrid contract, although such has been his struggle to make an impact, it’s believed Real could sell for just £25million.

If Ceballos and Alisson come, we're actually a better team than we were going into the window.

Don't think Real Madrid would sell Ceballos for £25m, though. But even at £30-35m that'd be a very interesting deal. Great passer and dribbler for his age and I don't hold this weird season at Real against him. Needs to contribute a bit more in pure numbers for goals and assists but he's 21 and would allow us to spend much bigger money elsewhere (like goalkeeper).

• Upvote 1

Just been sniffing around the internetz to see if I can't detective out who this "mystery player" we're meant to be after could be.

I conclude ... it's Dries Mertens from Napoli.

Before you laugh at the idea of us getting a player who will be 31 by the end of the season, consider this:

- he's rumoured to have a very low release clause that Napoli are desperate to remove (possibly as low as £25m) 

- they are rumoured to be in for two attacking players with deals expected any day (Ciciretti and Deulofeu), and might be in for Younes from Ajax as well, an unusually busy January for them

- he has scored 34 goals in all comps last season and already has 14 this season

- he's fond of a nutmeg and we all remember Suarez fondly for that (I'm starting to reach a bit here)

Anyway, I reckon this is practically a done deal. When he signs you can all pull this up and henceforth refer to me only as Sherlock Holmes.

Just been sniffing around the internetz to see if I can't detective out who this "mystery player" we're meant to be after could be.

Before you laugh at the idea of us getting a player who will be 31 by the end of the season, consider this:

- he's rumoured to have a very low release clause that Napoli are desperate to remove (possibly as low as £25m) 

- they are rumoured to be in for two attacking players with deals expected any day (Ciciretti and Deulofeu), and might be in for Younes from Ajax as well, an unusually busy January for them

- he has scored 34 goals in all comps last season and already has 14 this season

- he's fond of a nutmeg and we all remember Suarez fondly for that (I'm starting to reach a bit here)

Anyway, I reckon this is practically a done deal. When he signs you can all pull this up and henceforth refer to me only as Sherlock Holmes.

MoNeYbAlL

Does not compute.

- he's rumoured to have a very low release clause that Napoli are desperate to remove (possibly as low as £25m)

That's all very well reasoned but as a counter balance I've always thought that Dries Mertens is a whingeing diving little turd of a man. Used to easily prefer Tadic to him in the Eredivisie. Scores loads in Serie A like but maybe that's because it's a bit shit now.