You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 07/03/2022 at 19:46, 3 Stacks said:

I think they're completely different. Wijnaldum would generally never show up on the stat sheet, but you could easily tell when he was good or not and he had a very clearly defined role as the kind of midfield balance player. . Keita is the opposite

Keita is the opposite of player.

• 2 weeks later...

The first 5 minutes he was immense and then steady after that. He's a clearly confidence player, starts well and he'll be ok, start a bit dodgy and he goes within himself. I'm sure a confident Keita wouldn't have missed so many games through injury. He's winning me over but I'd still get rid.

1 minute ago, A Red said:

The first 5 minutes he was immense and then steady after that. He's a clearly confidence player, starts well and he'll be ok, start a bit dodgy and he goes within himself. I'm sure a confident Keita wouldn't have missed so many games through injury. He's winning me over but I'd still get rid.

Like most players, he needs to be fully fit over a period of time, and play matches, to perform at his best,

He’s hardly ever been doing that the time he’s been here, and that’s his main problem,

Extremely few players are able to perform at this level if not 100% fit and sharp. Matip seems to be a very rare exception.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Like most players, he needs to be fully fit over a period of time, and play matches, to perform at his best,

He’s hardly ever been doing that the time he’s been here, and that’s his main problem,

Extremely few players are able to perform at this level if not 100% fit and sharp. Matip seems to be a very rare exception.

I just don't think he has the confidence or self belief to play for us. I imagine him to have been happy to be injured and not to have to prove himself. Its not that I don't think he's good enough its just that he hasn't got what it needs mentally.

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

I just don't think he has the confidence or self belief to play for us. I imagine him to have been happy to be injured and not to have to prove himself. Its not that I don't think he's good enough its just that he hasn't got what it needs mentally.

You may be right, I have absolutely no idea what is going on inside his head. All I know is he’s struggling to stay available for selection over a period of time. And on the rare occasions he manages to do that it’s not very hard to see his potential. Thankfully today was one of those days.

• Upvote 1

He was outstanding today. I haven’t been his biggest fan and I think that’s more to do with his potential and the frustrations that he hasn’t been available as much as he and we’d like.

He can play in tight spaces, good on the turn, combines well, sees the pitch and works hard.
The stats bear that out and when he plays we tend to do very well. Let’s hope he can put a run of games together as he could become a key player in the midfield.

I thought he was less bad today. But never in a million years was he anything approaching a first team pick. In no particular order it goes Hendo, Thiago, Curtis, Fab, Milly and Harvey. If they are all injured, I'd pick Karius next. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

He’s been good most games this season, same can’t be said for many of our midfielders.  His injury record however has remained not good enough.

Midfield needs shakes up badly, there’s something wrong with most of them.

For a midfield where 'something is wrong with most of them' they aren't doing too badly.

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He's looking a useful player, but I thought Owen's post-Benfica analysis of his positioning was spot on. He has a tendency to wander, trying to half press, at the wrong times, and can end up in no man's land.

He has a tendency to be the player doing most pressing, in the games our pressing works the best.

And pressing is key to our team working, both defensively and not least in attack. I do agree that he seems to end up in some strange positions sometines, but most of the time he’s brilliant in the pressing and it’s probably the main reason Klopp rates him so highly.

10 weeks ago I was well up for selling him but he was superb in the league cup final & has been much improved since, yesterday was his best game in a red shirt IMO.

No idea what's going on with him but the jumping out of tackles thing he did has stopped completely & he's now starting to look like a bit of a monster, he didn't give those cunts a second on the ball yesterday.

I think that three is probably our best midfield at the moment. I'm converted.

• Upvote 2