You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Fun fact: mandatory reselection was normal practice in the Labour Party until Kinnock scrapped it in 1990 (and replaced it with a system whereby the central party hierarchy could parachute any friendly face into a safe seat, whether the constituents and CLP wanted them or not).

Here's an interesting little opinion piece from a few years ago.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/12/labour-mps-should-welcome-return-mandatory-reselection

"Reselection is undoubtedly a blunt instrument, but it was never used that much, and when it was, it was generally either to oust MPs who had sat for decades and let corruption set in, or to give unhappy constituents more say in a parliamentary democracy that generally only courts the wishes of its voters every five years. Neither of these are unreasonable goals, and the PLP's fears are founded on evidence that they might not have the full support of their constituencies...

Almost no-one wants a purge and one isn’t on the cards; most Labour MPs on all sides are conscientious, loyal and popular with their local parties, but when certain individuals can’t help themselves from enfilading their own party, or maintaining profitable columns in unfriendly newspapers, reselection must be considered as a deterrent...

If these types really believed they had the support of their own CLPs, they’d willingly submit to reselection – it’d be definitive proof that their way is the right way. That they’re not tells you everything you need to know."

So you’re making the decision on behalf of the constituents? I get confused between when and how you can decide what’s good for people.

If i get it right it’s;

- not for Muslim women as I’m a white man

- can decide what and what isn’t anti Semitism (despite being the same white man)

- for a myriad of different labour voters in constituencies I’ve never visited.

No wonder I find it hard to keep up with you intellectual heavyweights.

You're such a bellend at times.

I'm not making any decisions for anyone; I'm saying people should have the freedom to make the decision for themselves.

CLPs should decide who they want as their candidate (rather than have one foisted on them by the NEC) and then the constituents decide who they want as their MP.  

Women - even Muslim women; even white Muslim women (yeah, such creatures exist; who knew?) - should decide for themselves how they dress.

No individual gets to decide what words mean and whether or not they are, for example, racist or anti-Semitic.  These things are determined culturally and are usually contested.  Fortunately, in the case of anti-Semitism, the IHRA have produced a Working Definition as a guide that people can refer to, to decide whether or not words or actions can legitimately be considered anti-Semitic.  (It's flawed and imperfect - as you would expect from a "working definition" - but it's better than nowt and it's probably the best definition we've got.)

Doesn’t the local constituency choose who to nominate as a candidate in the GE?

I was always under the impression that that’s how it worked. That way the local party get to decide either to re-endorse a sitting MP or some can decide to challenge them.

That’s how it should work anyway. How can anyone argue against that?

You're such a bellend at times.

I'm not making any decisions for anyone; I'm saying people should have the freedom to make the decision for themselves.

CLPs should decide who they want as their candidate (rather than have one foisted on them by the NEC) and then the constituents decide who they want as their MP.  

Women - even Muslim women; even white Muslim women (yeah, such creatures exist; who knew?) - should decide for themselves how they dress.

No individual gets to decide what words mean and whether or not they are, for example, racist or anti-Semitic.  These things are determined culturally and are usually contested.  Fortunately, in the case of anti-Semitism, the IHRA have produced a Working Definition as a guide that people can refer to, to decide whether or not words or actions can legitimately be considered anti-Semitic.  (It's flawed and imperfect - as you would expect from a "working definition" - but it's better than nowt and it's probably the best definition we've got.)

So no Macpherson principle then? Ok.

I was always under the impression that that’s how it worked. That way the local party get to decide either to re-endorse a sitting MP or some can decide to challenge them.

It's how it used to work in the Labour Party and I think it's how it still works in other parties.

But now it's an evil Stalinist purge, apparently.

So no Macpherson principle then? Ok.

The MacPherson Principle isn't "if a person feels racially abused, then it's definitely racial abuse".  

It's "if a person feels racially abused, then it should be investigated as a legitimate allegation of racial abuse".

And, if it's an investigation into anti-Semitism, I would expect the investigation to make reference to the IHRA Working Definition.

Right wing cunts gonna right wing cunt.

Mightn't be the right thread to post this in, but I read this yesterday and had to chuckle at how strikingly accurate it was!

"the popular image of the Jew as someone who is neurotic, obsessive, a tad narcissistic. Someone who in the real world might well be grappling with a fairly serious mental health issue.

Think about it. Who is the Jewish man of popular culture? He's invariably a know-it-all, his intellectual superiority matched only by his condescension, but it's a mask. He is actually a worrier, plagued by insecurity - and able to talk anyone else under the therapist's couch."

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Downvote 2

I agree. Has anyone checked that statement against the definition of AS?

Check it all you want.

It might fall into the category of making stereotypical comments about Jewish people.

Like that they're all brainwashed. Oppressed. Incapable of exercising free will.

Oh, my bad. That's the stereotypical stuff you've been saying about Muslim women. I'm glad that you've finally admitted to being a bigoted Islamaphobe though. Not that you had to admit it...