You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

We're signing Pogba lads!

Riaola on Pogba: "It's not a secret. Every year I meet with Madrid, but also with United, Barcelona, City, Liverpool, Chelsea."

No point wasting too much time talking about Zielinski.

He's going to be a squad player he joins a squad full of squad players.

Or you could say assets on a balance sheet.

Who else could we talk about? Some German journalists confirmed that Dahoud isn't going anywhere this summer. Chilwell is 18. Götze's deal looks dead. Mané though a decent player, seems a bit uninspiring.

There is still an outside chance of Mario Gotze. Sadio Mane is another option. #lfc (Ben Smith)

If it is either/or on these two options, then we need a player like Mane more than Gotze. The latter is below what he was, and you get the impression Klopp can help rekindle something there, so I wouldn't be against it. However, with Klopp usually playing one striker up top, we need some variety in the three behind, and right now it's crying out for pace and width, obviously with a goal threat too. Mane fits the bill.

I suggested ages ago that the price would be something like £25M plus Ibe. If they don't fancy Ibe we might have to go all the way to £40M. Part of me doesn't want to do that, but on the other hand we are not in the driving seat, and with the new tv deal you get the impression that £40M is last season's £25M.

Get it done and move on.

• Upvote 1

If it is either/or on these two options, then we need a player like Mane more than Gotze. The latter is below what he was, and you get the impression Klopp can help rekindle something there, so I wouldn't be against it. However, with Klopp usually playing one striker up top, we need some variety in the three behind, and right now it's crying out for pace and width, obviously with a goal threat too. Mane fits the bill.

I suggested ages ago that the price would be something like £25M plus Ibe. If they don't fancy Ibe we might have to go all the way to £40M. Part of me doesn't want to do that, but on the other hand we are not in the driving seat, and with the new tv deal you get the impression that £40M is last season's £25M.

Get it done and move on.

Lets not.

• Upvote 1

Get it done and move on.

Only if you're stupid enough to shop in the premier league.  When we're up against five richer clubs in our own league it'll make it even more ridiculous than previous seasons to piss away money.

If we sign Mane for £40m then the club's gone batshit insane. There are players better than him available for half that, 1/4th in some cases. Boufal is a better player and he's touted at £11m. 

We could buy Mahrez for that, Lucas Moura or maybe even Reus. It's crazy money. Fuck no to Mane for £40m on 125,000 a week, i'd be absolutely disgusted if we paid £25m for him, let alone £40m.

• Upvote 10

I could only work with what I have. I don't have time to watch Empoli games. I've seen like 4-5 of those videos which show like his every touch. I didn't say he was never ever going to make it with us. I said I was "far from convinced" that he would. Those videos coupled with the fact that he's struggling to get a look in for their national side. As I said previously, if you or Red House could point to a game which convinced you that he was going to be a very good player for us, then I'm more than happy to download and watch it.

There wasn't a game that "convinced" me. A single performance shouldn't convince anyone of anything. When I've watched him, It's just been clear to me that he has ability, that's it. 

He'll most likely start against Ukraine tommorow so that will be your chance to actually watch him in a game. I think you'll be impressed with him given that all he'll have to do is match the play of the great Jeff Hendrick to gain your approval.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There wasn't a game that "convinced" me. A single performance shouldn't convince anyone of anything. When I've watched him, It's just been clear to me that he has ability, that's it.

He'll most likely start against Ukraine tommorow so that will be your chance to actually watch him in a game. I think you'll be impressed with him given that all he'll have to do is match the play of the great Jeff Hendrick to gain your approval.

How many Empoli games did you watch for you to come to the conclusion that he's gonna be great for us?

Hendrick in the two games certainly showed as much if not more than Allen and Henderson over the whole of last season. Whether that's great or not that depends on how highly you rate Allen and Hendo. I don't rate them particularly highly at all, not as much as you do anyway.

How many Empoli games did you watch for you to come to the conclusion that he's gonna be great for us?

Hendrick in the two games certainly showed as much if not more than Allen and Henderson over the whole of last season. Whether that's great or not that depends on how highly you rate Allen and Hendo. I don't rate them particularly highly at all, not as much as you do anyway.

I'm shaking my head at you right now

We may be surprised at some of the fees people will go for this summer. Ridiculous as it sounds, a number like £40M is not what it once was! As for Boufal, very skilful player, but I'm not convinced about the pace or power. We already have a couple of smaller, skilful types behind the striker. I think we need pace and power to get the balance right, and obviously they need to be able to weigh in with goals too. For me Mane fits the bill.

Leroy Sane looks like he will go elsewhere. I would prefer him to Mane. Dembele went to Dortmund. I would have preferred him to Mane too. Both of these players are young, but the potential upside is very high. I'm not suggesting Mane is the only one we could sign, but we certainly need his type.

I'm not thrilled by the likely price, but again, we are not in the driving seat and prices are going to go through the roof this summer. I would do the deal for £25M plus Ibe.

I expect we will sign 4-5 players this summer who will go straight into our so called best eleven (there will be other deals too, but I expect to see 4-5 go straight into the 'first' team). I suspect that we have already signed two of them in Matip and Karius at an outlay of only £5M or so. This leaves us some wiggle room to pay more on others.

For arguments sake, if we pay over the odds to bring Mane and Dahoud here, if indeed they are the players Klopp has identified, then boxing clever on other deals enables us to do so.

My main comment on transfers is that I'm chilled about the whole thing. We have the right man at the helm so I'm confident that whoever we sign will be a player he wants, and the thinking will be joined up, so there will be a plan for how the player will fit into the overall team and system.

If we sign Mane for £40m then the club's gone batshit insane. There are players better than him available for half that, 1/4th in some cases. Boufal is a better player and he's touted at £11m. 

We could buy Mahrez for that, Lucas Moura or maybe even Reus. It's crazy money. Fuck no to Mane for £40m on 125,000 a week, i'd be absolutely disgusted if we paid £25m for him, let alone £40m.

Hard to disagree with any of that.

Also, I'm not sure if we're still after him, but I don't think Gotze is the type of player or personality that we want or need. Pace, power and staying fit don't seem to be his strong suits.

Repped for inventing a plural for "Vigouroux".

I'd say the plural of Vigouroux is Vigouroux. Bit like sheep and fish. Also while we're on that subject it fucks me off to hear people say 1 euro and 10 euros. The plural of euro (currency) is euro so its 10, 11 euro not euros. Also the plural of 1 euro cent is cent too. Anybody that uses the plural of euro as euros needs taken out and shot. Its plain wrong and sounds fucking stupid.

Feel better now.

• Upvote 2

This. No way should we be bent over and dry bummed 40 million times for Mane.