You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

True Detective.

Kevin D

Farrell and McAdams are superb. Her jeans should get an award as best actress supporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This season is best when it's just them 2 onscreen. There are way too many characters this time around who add nothing to the story, it lacks any real focus.

I think they've done a pretty good job with world-building; the sleaze and corruption are both palpable and suffocating. Farrell has been pretty good, too. However, I think with only 4 hours to go, by now I should know what the stakes are and care about the outcome for our heroes. Neither of these are true.

• Upvote 1

This thing is almost completely incomprehensible; I've got no idea what's going on.

I really like Colin Farrell though; he's moody as fuck. Taylor Kitsch is also very charismatic and Rachel McAdam is doing well with a rare female role that isn't cliched to fuck.

That shoot out scene was fucking awesome, but I haven't got clue one why they were there or who those dudes were.

• Upvote 1

I don't actually know what the fucks going on either. I know all the subtexts for each character like Frank is a former drug kingpin trying to mask his criminal past by becoming a legitimate business mogul. Bezzerides hates her guru of a father and her mother died when she was a kid and she lives with her sister. Ray's wife was raped and he's fighting for custody of his son, Woodrugh is gay but he enrolled in the army and subsequently the police force to turn himself straight. But i don't actually know what the case is beyond the dead guy on the bench in the first episode that took Frank's money and the crow shooting Ray in the second episode.

What the fuck is going on? They've spent so much time on the microcosms of each character that the macrocosm of the story is being lost to long winded monologues and the general overriding tone of nihilism. I find myself drifting into abstract fantasies about bumming Rachel McAdams all over the shop when greeted with another scene of solemn musing. Someone called it perfectly earlier in the thread saying it's like they took the concept of Rustln Cohle, who was the one existentialist philosopher in the first series surrounded by otherwise linear characters and made every character Rustin Cohle in the second series....that was spot on.

• Upvote 5

Got to the shoot-out and realised that I have no idea who they were fighting or why. I've been vaguely flicking through the Internet whilst watching this and it clearly hasn't held my attention at all. Either I start watching it again or bin it off. Think my decision will be based on the end of the series reviews

Someone called it perfectly earlier in the thread saying it's like they took the concept of Rustln Cohle, who was the one existentialist philosopher in the first series surrounded by otherwise linear characters and made every character Rustin Cohle in the second series....that was spot on.

That was me.

I've not seen this weeks episode yet, but I've been finding it Ok to follow the story so far. I do tend to

watch each episode twice though.

When you think about it though, the first season didn't really make much sense either. However, people were so entertained by Rust & Marty, nobody really cared about the plot as we were happy just watching them.

• Upvote 2

Just watched episode 4 again, and that final scene was just fantastically done. Really exhilarating, brilliant telly.

Also, the scene with Bezzarides and her hippy dad, he whips out an old photo with 5 blokes in it : him, Mayor Chessani, the dead guy Ben Caspere, the creepy plastic surgeon Dr. Pitlor...and one other. Who ?

• Upvote 1

It's getting better and more understandable. The plot still makes huge leaps though and I'm just not having Vince Vaughan. Colin Farrell though is brilliant.

I think Farrell is good too (sometimes I think his Oirish accent is bubbling just a little too close to the surface), but Vince Vaughn is just a fucking appalling actor. His chemistry with his (extremely fit) missus is just non existent. The scene where they'd just made love and were all loved up again was just frigid.

I think many people overrated the first series and are guilty of underrating this. Just my opinion like.

Got to the shoot-out and realised that I have no idea who they were fighting or why. I've been vaguely flicking through the Internet whilst watching this and it clearly hasn't held my attention at all. Either I start watching it again or bin it off. Think my decision will be based on the end of the series reviews

I was about to post exactly the same thing. I've found myself rewinding after missing entire scenes. The missing girl/last episode feels like Season 1 when it stopped being in flashback, but 4 episodes to set up what feels like the real mystery is way too much.  

I think Farrell is good too (sometimes I think his Oirish accent is bubbling just a little too close to the surface), but Vince Vaughn is just a fucking appalling actor. His chemistry with his (extremely fit) missus is just non existent. The scene where they'd just made love and were all loved up again was just frigid.

I think many people overrated the first series and are guilty of underrating this. Just my opinion like.

The firsts season was genuinely good (until the last episode, which I liked but it was a cop out) and interesting. Now yeah, the second season had a level of expectation that it couldn't possibly live up to but it's been bordering on incoherent for most of it's running time. It's like someone made a rip-off of True Detective, there's no real clarity of what the crimes are and the main characters are lacking the level of interaction that season one had.

I don't think anyone, critics or general public, have overrated season one or underrated season two. It's just that season two isn't that good as a television show, let alone as a follow up to season one. The only people who are having a problem with rating this season properly are the people who are trying to convince themselves that it's good. It's average at best but Farrell and McAdams are doing the best they can, whereas Kitsch and Vaughn are drowning.

• Upvote 1