You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Misunderstanding Suarez (ESPN Article)

dave u

suarez2_460.jpg

So he does love the fans after all, and what's more is that he's happy to stay at Anfield and even wants to sign a new contract. All's well that ends well as they say. Presumably we can just chalk this summer up to one big misunderstanding then, eh?

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if Luis Suarez can actually hear himself when he speaks. The latest reports coming out of Uruguay almost beggar belief. Respected journalist Martin Charquero reported that "Luis Suarez has confirmed to me that he will not be leaving Liverpool. The support of the fans in the last few weeks has influenced his decision. Suarez sees it as probable that he will renew his contract with Liverpool."

So there you have it, it was the support of the fans that influenced his decision. Nothing to do with discovering that his agent had dropped the ball when trying to insert an escape clause into his contract. Nothing to do with John W. Henry putting him over his proverbial knee and spanking him like the naughty child he is. And certainly nothing to do with Europe's elite clubs shunning him in favour of other, less volatile, transfer targets. No, it was his "affection" for the fans that forced this decision. And call me a cynic, but this new contract wouldn't happen to involve a handsome pay raise and a watertight release clause, would it?

Read the full article here

I've seen the stories about the 'denial'. Questionable source though.

And that Uruguayan who ran the initial story is the top man over there, he's not going to just pluck some quotes out of his arse like that.

Don't know whether Suarez has denied the story or not, but if he has it'll be because Pere has had a word and told him to shut the fuck up as he's still trying to engineer a move and get his 10% of any transfer fee.

Well all the papers reported it, it was on every major football website and Kolo Toure commented on it. What were you expecting?

Well given every substance less development regarding Suarez, Rooney and Bale has been plastered all over skysports news all day and twitter etc for the past few weeks I'd have expected a bit more from a seemingly concrete development, for example the thread on here hasn't had much reaction considering how big it is for us, Sky had some bollocks article on their website where they focused more on the past few weeks than the story itself, the BBC had nothing at all til tea time when they put a story saying he hasn't told us anything on.

I have no reason to disbelieve you when you say this Uruguayan bloke is usual spot on but it just doesn't some right to me that its barely got out in relation to the size of the story if indeed it is true

Just me who doesnt see this as a win then?

Assuming he is staying due to a "new and improved" contract, (again assuming the story is true) who does it benefit other than LS?

Yes we get an amazing player for maybe another season, but, he has to play as he has/can, who judges he has or will do that?

He scored some amazing goals, and blew a lot of chances last season (when he wasnt banned etc) so who is to say he wont play a blinder one minute, and assist us in losing the next?

Sorry, I just dont trust the two faced cunt any more.

"I want to go now, what do you mean I cant? oh the fans made me want to stay" ??

Once bitten twice shy is the term, and to be honest, he has bitten more than most.

Torres Mk II

There is a direct quote: "I didn't say that, maybe someone else did and the main thing is that I am here now with the national team," citing Japan's Kyodo News

Kyodo is one of Japan's biggest and oldest press services. It's the equivalent of PA - The Press Association in the UK. It's a wire service with over 1000 journo's working for it.

Guess we just wait for something official as there may be a few more swings left in this roundabout.

So he didn't say it publicly, he said it to that journo who then repeated it and now clearly Suarez is just not wanting to comment on it (which is fair enough as he'd said he wasn't going to talk publicly about any of it and he hasn't).

Nothing in that Japanese report makes me doubt what the Uruguayan journo reported.

Just posted this in the Suarez mammoth thread, but thought I might as well chuck it in here as well.

When he joined up with the Uruguay squad he said he wasn't going to answer questions about his future, and that's what he appears to be saying after the game.

He hasn't denied he's had a change of heart - he hasn't actually said anything...

The comments coming from the Uruguayan journo who broke the initial story bear all the hallmarks of an off-the-record conversation, one the journo has considered too juicy to keep off-the-record.

Just posted this in the Suarez mammoth thread, but thought I might as well chuck it in here as well.

When he joined up with the Uruguay squad he said he wasn't going to answer questions about his future, and that's what he appears to be saying after the game.

He hasn't denied he's had a change of heart - he hasn't actually said anything...

The comments coming from the Uruguayan journo who broke the initial story bear all the hallmarks of an off-the-record conversation, one the journo has considered too juicy to keep off-the-record.

So the theory is he's denying saying he's had a change of heart.

I'm curious as to whether he will still want to leave if by chance we start off like a house on fire and keep it up throughout the season getting in the Champions League.

Honestly couldn't care less whether he stays or goes, but for this season he certainly gives us a much better chance of getting into the Champions League. If that happens and we get a 50 mill+ bid, he can go. We'll be able to attract top players in that case.