You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Is that not a valid fucking excuse? We've had the heart ripped out of our team, replaced with shit, I agree. However we lost more than goals from Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard - we lost our identity.

No, frankly. I think most people accepted we wouldn't score as many goals this season, they accepted we generally wouldn't be as good. But there is no excusing the sheer scale of difference. We should have planned better, knowing Sturridge is injury prone, knowing Suarez was off, and knowing Gerrard would be 34. We should have bought better, knowing that the most crucial signings would be to replace the goals that we were inevitably going to miss from those three players, rather than sign Lambert, and then scratch around in the last few days of the window ending up with a Balotelli or nothing option. We spent plenty of money, just on players that either aren't good enough, aren't good enough yet, or simply don't play in positions that were absolutely key to strengthen.

We knew it was going to be a difficult season, or more difficult anyway, but then a club our size should be capable of dealing with it better. It should have experienced football men in the board, in the coaching staff, and in the playing staff, to pull the club through these sort of seasons. But we don't. Which is why we're not very good.

It looks like missing Flanagan will be going in Rodgers end of season report/excuses as well.

Tony BarrettVerified account ‏@TonyBarretTimes

Rodgers on Jon Flanagan: "He's been a huge miss for us. There was a time last season when he was arguably the best full back in the league."

I dont remember anyone on here even running with that one.

No, frankly. I think most people accepted we wouldn't score as many goals this season, they accepted we generally wouldn't be as good. But there is no excusing the sheer scale of difference. We should have planned better, knowing Sturridge is injury prone, knowing Suarez was off, and knowing Gerrard would be 34. We should have bought better, knowing that the most crucial signings would be to replace the goals that we were inevitably going to miss from those three players, rather than sign Lambert, and then scratch around in the last few days of the window ending up with a Balotelli or nothing option. We spent plenty of money, just on players that either aren't good enough, aren't good enough yet, or simply don't play in positions that were absolutely key to strengthen.

We knew it was going to be a difficult season, or more difficult anyway, but then a club our size should be capable of dealing with it better. It should have experienced football men in the board, in the coaching staff, and in the playing staff, to pull the club through these sort of seasons. But we don't. Which is why we're not very good.

Yeah that.

We've lost the philosophy that made us what we were, from the top to the bottom.

Every season, something of us disappears, for whatever reason, it gets diluted.

I obviously disagree. It doesn't excuse the abject shitness of our season but it paints a picture and goes a long way to helping people understand why we were so shit. Lamenting what we didn't/don't have is pointless when looking at the causes. Hindsight is always 20/20, we should've recruited better - there's only so many times we can go over that, everyone is in agreement.

I obviously disagree. It doesn't excuse the abject shitness of our season but it paints a picture and goes a long way to helping people understand why we were so shit. Lamenting what we didn't/don't have is pointless when looking at the causes. Hindsight is always 20/20, we should've recruited better - there's only so many times we can go over that, everyone is in agreement.

But we never learn from it.

We knew what we wanted going into the summer, we pissed the money up the wall.

We knew what we needed in the winter, we didn't spend a penny.

How many times have we gone into a transfer window knowing what we needed, yet getting everything but what we needed.

We're stuck on repeat.

I can't believe you're suggesting the opposite, etc. He's a slightly worse player, playing in a considerably worse side. He was shit at defending last season, that hasn't changed. But he could play the role last season because he had Sturridge, Suarez, and an in form Sterling to hit with long passes. Now he looks up and sees Balotelli talking to the corner flag, or Lambert not running at all. Now the emphasis is placed on his inability to track runners, because we aren't scoring the goals to mask it. Or rather, we aren't scoring the goals for it to not really be a problem. 

The idea that Sturridge's injuries have come as a surprise is utterly absurd. Part of the reason why people aren't as accepting that last season was evidence of Rodgers' managerial ability is because Sturridge staying injury free for 6 months was a huge stroke of luck. One of many.

Yes.

Fair point. Would you not agree we were very naive on the day though, and the same in the following game?

I wouldn't agree with that at all Zig. It's not like we were throwing the kitchen sink at them and got caught out. We were playing to win the game, as we definitely should have. I simply don't believe that people wouldn't have called it cowardly to not try and win that game given the situation (and the Chelsea side) after the event. I probably would have. 

At palace it might have been naive but it had gone by then. We can do what ifs about City but for me it had gone. Seeing Suarez running to get the ball was a brilliant moment and encapsulated just what that team thought they were capable of.

United also finished 20 points below us last season.

Reverse the situation, would you have expected us to leapfrog them in one season?

Nope, because their second place finish wouldn't have been such a spectacular over-performance from where they were in the pecking order.

The bookies expected us to get passed by Utd. They expected all four of the teams that have passed us to pass us. 

Can we stop making shit up please. Rodgers has spoken about being interested in Coutinho for a long time before we signed him. The narrative seems to be shit signings = Rodgers. Not so shit signings = committee.

A lot of people are also forgetting we lost 3 of our best 4 players from last season, plus Flanagan.

Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge must've had about 65 goals between them never mind assists. What other manager has had to cope with loss like that? Obviously the recruitment has been very disappointing but please look at the bigger picture. Anyone would find it difficult losing 3 absolutely key players.

Where would Chelsea be if you took out Costa, Hazard and fabregas? And they don't even come close to the impact Suarez, Sturridhe and Gerrard had on our team.

Setting transfers, injuries and ageing legs aside, because they're all givens and I don't think any of us even remotely disagree that they all hurt us ...

Can you honestly say in your heart of hearts that we made anywhere close to the best of what we had left, in terms of tactics or effort this season? I can't, and in fact I'm pretty disgusted by what we've put on the pitch all season, even when we did scrape a patch of form.

To me the one question that decides his future is this,'Do we need a major clearout?'

If you feel the answer is Yes then I'd suggest our current manager has failed and its better for the club if a new man takes over. If you think No then the manager most likely deserves another season to allow the new signings to gel and put right any mistakes from this one.

Yeah, that's been alarming and disappointing in equal measure. But we turned up for big game after big game last season. We've got to give him next season.

This season was next season.

You are like child who lost bet and wants another shot at it. The time was then.

Lets give him another go assured we can rest our best players in the CL if we ever get back there.

Ged finished 2nd. Sacked.

Rafa finished 2nd sacked.

Dalglish won the league 2 different clubs gets us two finals wins one. Sacked.

Rodgers 7th 2nd 8th not a sniff of a cup final in his life with a large CV of fail. Lifes too short for winning cups lets just play fancy dan newcastle fan fleecers, therez plenty of clowns around to tell us in heaven lfc have won every cup lets not get too bogged down with earthly matters till then take drugs dream and imaginate rodgers being a winner like the top managers and click our heels together 3 times cos you just never know when tom will say he told you so.

• Upvote 5

Setting transfers, injuries and ageing legs aside, because they're all givens and I don't think any of us even remotely disagree that they all hurt us ...

Can you honestly say in your heart of hearts that we made anywhere close to the best of what we had left, in terms of tactics or effort this season? I can't, and in fact I'm pretty disgusted by what we've put on the pitch all season, even when we did scrape a patch of form.

I don't think anyone is saying that Zig. In fact most of the people who are being called fundamentalists or apologists for Rodgers by other people are actually pretty open to replacing him. They just want a bit of balance in the discussions and not a load of mentals making shit up because discussing the nuance and grey areas is too much like hard work.

• Upvote 1

A new justification I am hearing, the bookies did not fancy us.

What?

You might want to learn the meaning of the word justification so you don't look like a cretin. Maybe get a Norwegian to English translation book?

We were talking expectation. So I made a point about the bookies expecting us to drop back. Because they don't care about how many European Cups there are in the cabinet; just the facts, and the money, and keeping their jobs.

It's called making relevant points in a discussion with someone.

So a man who says he is being attacked and called a fundamentalist (when no-one is saying that).

A classic misdirect some would say, is attacking others when they are using a very poor example.

I thought you was an intellectual, the bookies did not see us as top four, very poor indeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think he should be given another season, but I really can't be arsed with the way he'll inevitably treated by the fans if he stays and doesn't have us playing like Barcelona after 5 matches next season. So for my own sanity (and less importantly Brendans), I'd just replace him.

Too many gobshites to revel in his failures and turn every match into oneupmanship between supporters.

• Upvote 2

So a man who says he is being attacked and called a fundamentalist (when no-one is saying that).

A classic misdirect some would say, is attacking others when they are using a very poor example.

I thought you was an intellectual, the bookies did not see us as top four, very poor indeed.

How much are you placing down for this bet that nobody has been suggesting people are fundamentalists? Or apologists?

Put up your money or accept you're wrong.

If you want to make an actual point about why the bookmakers not expecting us to be in the top four is not a relevant point when talking to someone about expectations then make it. 

I think he should be given another season, but I really can't be arsed with the way he'll inevitably treated by the fans if he stays and doesn't have us playing like Barcelona after 5 matches next season. So for my own sanity (and less importantly Brendans), I'd just replace him.

Too many gobshites to revel in his failures and turn every match into oneupmanship between supporters.

Well it makes a change from one gobshite revelling in his own successes as limited as they are.

"Hailed as a tactical genius three months ago." By who Brendan?

The question is - if we start the season badly next year, FSG will be forced to sack him. So do they cut their losses now or have faith in Rodgers for the new season?

If I were them I would contact Benitez and Klopp to see what they had to say. If they are forced into sacking Rodgers then they have less control over who gets appointed next. Nobody will blame them for swapping managers now, but they will get the blame if they swap managers during the season.

How much are you placing down for this bet that nobody has been calling people fundamentalists? Or apologists?

Put up your money or accept you're wrong.

If you want to make an actual point about why the bookmakers not expecting us to be in the top four is not a relevant point when talking to someone about expectations then make it. 

I can only confirm what I see on here and not what goes on the MF.

I see more people insulting posters for questioning the managers faults than I see posters labeling others apologists or fundamentalists.

In fact I would say you have insulted more people in this thread than people being called apologists or fundamentalists.

Even if I saw one or two people call someone an apologist I would not consider such a small sample as representative of what normally happens.

As for the bookies my point has been made.

• Upvote 1

It looks like missing Flanagan will be going in Rodgers end of season report/excuses as well.

Tony BarrettVerified account ‏@TonyBarretTimes

Rodgers on Jon Flanagan: "He's been a huge miss for us. There was a time last season when he was arguably the best full back in the league."

Well he'll have no problem offering him a new contract then will he.

With him being the best fullback in the league and all that.