You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Go and ask a Chelsea fan if they would be happy to win the EL next season! Or a Utd fan. Or an Arsenal fan.

That's the point I made.

Somebody else made a point that he took over when they were already struggling in the CL so in that sense I agree it was more of an achievement than if he'd taken over at the start of the season and was repsonsible for the poor CL run (which he wasn't).

He's clearly a very good manager and if ended up coming back here he'd have my full backing.

They were already out when he took over

Well it makes a change from one gobshite revelling in his own successes as limited as they are.

"Hailed as a tactical genius three months ago." By who Brendan?

You're calling the manager of The Liverpool Football Club a "gobshite", whilst at the same time trying to prove a point. Take a second to think about that.

Attack the mans' tactics all you like, but fucking hell mate. The worst thing to come out of Rafa's time here, is the fact that supporters now feel justified in saying what they like about people doing their best for the club.

Does he talk shit some times? Show me a manager that doesn't. Is he a man doing his best? Absolutely. Is his best good enough? I'm not sure, but personally I'd give him another season to find out.

Seriously, what is the point? Regardless of whether we sack Rodgers or not, the highest position we will finish in the league is 5th. Is it better to actually give something a chance to build, or smash everything up every 2 seasons and start again?

• Upvote 3

They bought Liverpool and certain conditions come with that deal. 

Sadly they don't. They legally own the club and no amount of protesting can legally change that. It is their property until they decide otherwise.

I agree that fans can and should protest, but lets not be under any illusion - it's their club to control.

Sadly they don't. They legally own the club and no amount of protesting can legally change that. It is their property until they decide otherwise.

I agree that fans can and should protest, but lets not be under any illusion - it's their club to control.

In fact, any conditions that Broughton tried to tie them to they just waved away, like the new stadium becoming only a commitment to 60k

Right now Liverpool fans pay the highest season ticket prices outside London and 3rd highest in England.

Not sure what that lazy comment offers other than trying to tell fans to shut up and be good little boys and girls and be grateful.

If they wanted to buy a par team maybe they should have bought Aston Villa.

They bought Liverpool and certain conditions come with that deal. 

It's not a complicated point. It's basic stuff to follow.

If the club exists only to win trophies then the tickets should be £150 a pop shouldn't they? If that's what the demand allows. Stop leaking money to fans and maximise profit for players.

Or maybe it's more complex and nuanced than that and the club exists for lots of reasons other than just winning trophies.

Again, you've got the meaning of the word lazy wrong. I'll let you off as my Norwegian is terrible to be fair.

I'm not talking about contractual obligations, they bought the club legally.

More the unwritten and widely acknowledged obligations when you purchase a club of Liverpool's standing.

I do know exactly what Cod...erm Denny is alluding to. Post-EPL it is:

Win the league - not.

Win the CL once every 22 years

Get to a CL final and lose every 11 years

Get in the CL once every 3 years

Win an FA Cup once every 11 years

Get to FA Cup final and lose once every 11 years

Win League Cup once every 5.5 years

Get to League Cup final and lose once in 22 years

Monty, I see you have even less understanding of economics than you have of football.

If the club thought they could fleece fans anymore they would.

They have reached a ceiling point on what they can charge each person.

Hence more seats/facilities, have they done it on the cheap I don't know, but I will leave it to others who have a better understanding/knowledge of stadia.

The only way they will charge higher fees is based on locations/ "executive meal etc" within the ground and even then it is very contentious (location wise in the ground).

I don't speak Norwegian, but I do speak, Italian, Dutch, Spanish and German so excuse me if my English is not up to your standards.

I normally find people who mock other posters language skills have an inferiority complex.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

People love the idea that we only exist to win trophies.

Less so when you point out that would mean putting ticket prices up to to price supply and demand would allow, fucking off wasting money on community schemes, etc.

If we doubled ticket prices, we still would not have more income than Arsenal. If we let in everyone for free we would still be ahead of Spurs. The money we spend on community schemes is neither here nor there.

We are a football club, and should not shirk from supporting the community within which we operate, or support those who support us.

• Upvote 1

I'm not talking about contractual obligations, they bought the club legally.

More the unwritten and widely acknowledged obligations when you purchase a club of Liverpool's standing.

Well yeah I agree, but lets not be naive. They have millions invested and unless they are feeling particularly generous they are in this for a return on their investment. They aren't a charity, so they will be looking to balance costs and will be looking for a profit etc.

Now ofcourse we would answer that by saying that they should sell us to someone who can take us forward. But why should they? And why are we assuming there is that miracle person\company?

Howie.

Firstly football was not invented post 1992 so if you want to disregard 18 titles and 4 European cups, then your choice.

Secondly the whole purpose of overseas investment is to push the club on in some capacity.

Thirdly did that illfitting fat little oink Werner say we can compete with anyone and I am sure John Henry is on record as his goal being to return Liverpool to the top.

Dendo - ask a Forest fan about football in the 70s and 80s.

The conversation you have with them will be as pertinent - take notes.

The second and third sentences are again. not pertinent in any way shape or form.

My post above is not anyone's opinion or interpretation - it is just the facts over a certain time period and you are right in one sense - if anything it is too inclusive as even that is weighted too heavily in the past.

You're calling the manager of The Liverpool Football Club a "gobshite", whilst at the same time trying to prove a point. Take a second to think about that.

Attack the mans' tactics all you like, but fucking hell mate. The worst thing to come out of Rafa's time here, is the fact that supporters now feel justified in saying what they like about people doing their best for the club.

Does he talk shit some times? Show me a manager that doesn't. Is he a man doing his best? Absolutely. Is his best good enough? I'm not sure, but personally I'd give him another season to find out.

Seriously, what is the point? Regardless of whether we sack Rodgers or not, the highest position we will finish in the league is 5th. Is it better to actually give something a chance to build, or smash everything up every 2 seasons and start again?

I was reversing what you said about supporters who don't like him calling us gobshites.

That said who did call Brendan Rodgers a tactical genius three months ago?

I also called Hodgson a fucking cunt while he was still manager as well.

The one thing they both have in common are incredibly large egos for approximately zero achievement.

I was reversing what you said about supporters who don't like him calling us gobshites.

That said who did call Brendan Rodgers a tactical genius three months ago?

I also called Hodgson a fucking cunt while he was still manager as well.

The one thing they both have in common is incredibly large egos for approximately zero achievement.

I'm a fucking nobody, and you're a fucking nobody. To think that me calling some of our supporters gobshites, then gives you free reign to call the manager doing his best a gobshite, is fucking insane. 

I also didn't call supporters who don't like him gobshites, but it's blatantly obvious that to you, context and nuance might as well be 2 European gems brought in by the committee this summer.

I wish I could just read quotes and accept them at face value like you, but I don't have that ability, so I'll just throw out there, that now Brendan is fighting for his job he's coming out with things to show what people were saying about him not too long back. If he was the person that you're claiming him to be, then why the fuck wasn't he calling himself the return of the messiah when we were stringing 14 wins on the trot together.

Don't bring Hodgson into it to try and give yourself more credibility. Just accept that you called the manager of Liverpool football club a gobshite, and be proud. 

How much more cash to go with it? Enough to realise the ambition for 5th again? And Utd have done their level best to free up a spot in the top 4, so i dont buy that resignation either.

Liverpool need a manager who can build a team, that is greater than the sum of its parts. Because, as has been done to death on here, we don't have sufficient cash to make too many mistakes.

2 of the better players for Utd this year are Screech and Mata, who under Moyes were facing the exit. A new manager has turned their careers around.

There simply comes a time when a new manager WILL improve the fortunes of the club.

We look stale, bereft and gutless.

I'm not sure Rodgers has shown himself to be that guy.

Where we are right now, we show no real sign of progress from 3 years ago.

Other than the out and out spike in our fortunes provided by the erstwhile best player in the world, who's sheer will to win, along with his undeniable brilliance, dragged us over the line in too many games last season.

No style imprinted on the players.

No players recruited to suit the alleged way he wanted to play.

And a vague, but growing,  hint that they might not be exactly pulling out all the stops for him.

Players out of position everywhere.

Persisting with 1 up front in too many games, when even the strikers we have, even when played as pair, would struggle to score enough to make up for the defensive frailties, as per last season.

Mental defensive subs when we are behind with minutes of a game to go.

Not seeing the precarious state of Sturridge, and largley taking his fitness to the bank in August.

Scrambled Scrambled Scrambled.

I've never really warmed to him, i'll admit that, but have always tried to refrain from personal jibes.

But I don't think, given the  fairly inarguable charge sheet above, there's even any need to get in to that.

We had a £75m player on our books, and that has blurred the lines where his team building credentials are concerned. I dont see it. He show's no real sign of learning from mistakes. No real idea of his best side after more than £200 million spent.

Nope, no need to resort to personal attacks.

It speaks for itself.

All that said, i'm fairly sure he will be in charge next season.

• Upvote 2

In fact, we scored 36 goals from set pieces last year: 10 pens, 12 corners, 7 crossed free kicks, 6 direct free kicks and 1 throw in.

This year we have 9: 5 pens, 2 corners, 1 cfk and 1 dfk. What gives?

Suarez was greatly responsible for our achievements last year. If most of it was Rodgers, and the whole argument of this thread reduces to that, then why the massive drop-off in dead ball goals? Surely we have the same coaching, no?

You sneaky devil Rafa.  Coming in here masquerading as a fan, Giving Rodgers some stick and you thought you'd get away with it.............  Well me and the pesky kids have rumbled your cunning plan...................

Howie

If football in the past is irrelevant and I accept it is to modern footballers not for  fans/supporters though.

So I think you are somewhat misinformed.

Why do many fans not even born before 1992 know about our rich history, fuck some even pick best 11 of players they never saw in the flesh.

Why do 15yr old kids in Indonesia/Pakistan know Kenny Dalglish is it for his reign a few years back or for his success at Liverpool in the 70's and 80's?

Maybe you should talk to fans around the globe and see what their rationale for supporting Liverpool is.

Does Liverpool have a huge global fan-base due to past success ie as the most successful club in England ?.

Do clubs sponsor Liverpool on their reach to these markets and those markets are based on past success.

Now the past is the past but without wanting to get all teareyed it is inseparable.

I'm pretty neutral on the owners as much as anyone can be on hedge-fund people here to make as much money as possible.

All I ask is they have high aspirations and don't try and sell me the minimum.

Not at all misinfomed - sure people remember the past fondly and in almost all cases - football or not - romanticize it. Why? Because they are fans. 

Many, if not most, young fans are brought by their parents/older siblings so it is a cycle that we would have going for a couple of generations regardless - make no mistake compared to 20 or 30 years ago we are not as well supported relative to other English clubs as we were.

I live around the globe, literally. As for fans in the middle/far east I think we are probably as well supported as other top 4 English clubs - certainly not proportionately more.

TBH if you want to use the whole illustrious past of the club the only number in that post that changes positively is league titles - you could expect one every 7 years.

Unfortunately it also means that it is 17 years between FA Cups and 24.5 years between CL(Euro) titles.

I think they do have high aspirations - the reality of expectation (which is very different from aspiration) for them however is probably closer to factual than most fans can be.

I'm a fucking nobody, and you're a fucking nobody. To think that me calling some of our supporters gobshites, then gives you free reign to call the manager doing his best a gobshite, is fucking insane. 

I also didn't call supporters who don't like him gobshites, but it's blatantly obvious that to you, context and nuance might as well be 2 European gems brought in by the committee this summer.

I wish I could just read quotes and accept them at face value like you, but I don't have that ability, so I'll just throw out there, that now Brendan is fighting for his job he's coming out with things to show what people were saying about him not too long back. If he was the person that you're claiming him to be, then why the fuck wasn't he calling himself the return of the messiah when we were stringing 14 wins on the trot together.

Don't bring Hodgson into it to try and give yourself more credibility. Just accept that you called the manager of Liverpool football club a gobshite, and be proud. 

Hodgson wouldn't give anyone credibility.

I've called Souness worse as well.

Some of Rodgers quotes and you want to say that he has his ego in check?

Precisely what has he achieved to justify such arrogance?

1. "Maybe Southampton's objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe."

Rodgers didn't have any sympathy for a Southampton side which he raided during the summer. Dejan LovrenAdam Lallana and Rickie Lambert all made their way to Anfield to "compete at the highest level they possibly can."

Hmm, we're not so sure the table agrees...

2. "We are seeing now the player we all know Liverpool had – which is one of the best full-backs in the world.”

The player? Glen Johnson.

3. "When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them."

You only need to look at Liverpool's losses and disappointing performances this season to realise that there is no correlation with possession and victories.

Liverpool 0-1 Aston Villa – 75% possession

Liverpool 2-2 Middlesbrough (won 14-13 on pens) – 72%

Liverpool 0-0 Hull – 66%

Newcastle 1-0 Liverpool – 65%

Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool – 64%

[What does £215.2m buy you? Deconstructing Brendan Rodgers' awful transfer record at Liverpool]

4. "Look at Tottenham. If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."

New attacking signings Mario Balotelli, Adam Lallana and Lazar Markovic - who arrived in a summer which saw Liverpool spend in excess of £100m - have not lived up to expectations while the Reds' defence is even worse with just two clean sheets in 18 league and cup games.

Rodgers has spent a princely £215.2m on new players since the summer of 2012 but has had only two confirmed hits: Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho, both signed in the January transfer window in 2013.

5. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

But such claims of Total Football are rather undone by the fact that one of those 11 men is Simon Mignolet.

• Upvote 2

How much more cash to go with it? Enough to realise the ambition for 5th again? And Utd have done their level best to free up a spot in the top 4, so i dont buy that resignation either.

Liverpool need a manager who can build a team, that is greater than the sum of its parts. Because, as has been done to death on here, we don't have sufficient cash to make too many mistakes.

2 of the better players for Utd this year are Screech and Mata, who under Moyes were facing the exit. A new manager has turned their careers around.

There simply comes a time when a new manager WILL improve the fortunes of the club.

We look stale, bereft and gutless.

I'm not sure Rodgers has shown himself to be that guy.

Where we are right now, we show no real sign of progress from 3 years ago.

Other than the out and out spike in our fortunes provided by the erstwhile best player in the world, who's sheer will to win, along with his undeniable brilliance, dragged us over the line in too many games last season.

No style imprinted on the players.

No players recruited to suit the alleged way he wanted to play.

And a vague, but growing,  hint that they might not be exactly pulling out all the stops for him.

Players out of position everywhere.

Persisting with 1 up front in too many games, when even the strikers we have, even when played as pair, would struggle to score enough to make up for the defensive frailties, as per last season.

Mental defensive subs when we are behind with minutes of a game to go.

Not seeing the precarious state of Sturridge, and largley taking his fitness to the bank in August.

Scrambled Scrambled Scrambled.

I've never really warmed to him, i'll admit that, but have always tried to refrain from personal jibes.

But I don't think, given the  fairly inarguable charge sheet above, there's even any need to get in to that.

We had a £75m player on our books, and that has blurred the lines where his team building credentials are concerned. I dont see it. He show's no real sign of learning from mistakes. No real idea of his best side after more than £200 million spent.

Nope, no need to resort to personal attacks.

It speaks for itself.

All that said, i'm fairly sure he will be in charge next season.

I still don't know, and neither does anyone, exactly what the deal with the transfer committee is, and until we know exactly what the fuck is going on and who chooses the players and scouts them, then I don't think there is any guarantee a new manager coming in will get the players he wants either. 

All I remember hearing from BR last summer was how he needed quality to come in to the first team straight away, and yet we ended up with a million squad players. 

There's no point having Klopp if we load him with Danny Ings and a quarter of Villa's first team this summer. 

Other than that, you make a lot of valid criticisms. My support for BR isn't Dogmatic or set in stone. I just remember having more fun watching football last season, than I have in my whole life, and I think that deserves a second chance.

Maybe it was luck, and we'll never see that again from a Brendan team, but I don't see us going anywhere fast as it stands regardless of the manger, specifically because of the transfer mess (and none of the really good players want to come here anyway), so I can certainly give it one more year to see whether last season was the anomaly, or it's this one. 

• Upvote 2