You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This business of bringing on Carragher

RoyHodgeGone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is all that about? Is it really necessary to give him 15 or 20 minutes here or there? We know what he can do. I'd have preferred to see Robinson get 15 or 20 minutes instead.

I can understand him bringing him on to keep him match fit in case he's called upon. While I'd agree that bringing the younger lads through is best for the future, I'd prefer a fairly match fit Carra coming on as an emergency in a high profile game rather than the younger lads. We have a few tough games coming up and anything can happen that might need Carra being involved. I think it's the right thing to do.

I understand that for the long-term, it would make more sense to play one of the youngsters ahead of Carra, but I don't buy into the whole 'this is his last season' argument. My feeling is that we need to keep hold of our experienced heads for a lot longer than we have done previously. Not on ridiculously expensive contracts, but rolling deals of the sort that some other clubs do.

Whether the club feels the player is past it, or whether the player is so keen to continue playing they decide to move elsewhere, we get rid of experience far too early, and we've been bitten by it quite badly over the last 20-odd years. We've lost the likes of Hansen, Rush, McAllister, Hamann and Hyypia over that time, and in each case it has been a bit detrimental to the development of the players that remained.

What we should have done is made it clear to those players that while they won't see much action, their know-how and ability to cope with the pressure of playing for Liverpool will be useful to the rest of the squad going forward, while also allowing them a greater insight into the world of coaching that they (usually) eventually move into.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's a mega legend. We're seeing the beginning of a new era for Liverpool football club, and unfortunately that means the old era is being gradually swept away. It'll be slower for some players than others - that's what happens in a transition - but Carra deserves whatever we can give him. A few appearances seems the least we can do. Hopefully we'll do the same with Gerrard when the time comes.

I can understand him bringing him on to keep him match fit in case he's called upon. While I'd agree that bringing the younger lads through is best for the future, I'd prefer a fairly match fit Carra coming on as an emergency in a high profile game rather than the younger lads. We have a few tough games coming up and anything can happen that might need Carra being involved. I think it's the right thing to do.

This. Fairly obvious I'd have thought. The appearances record has sod all to do with it.

well I've made no secret of the fact I think Coates is much better and should be the 3rd centre back and if anyone should be getting game time with games won it should be him, no issue with Carra coming on against Sunderland as Skrtel had picked up a knock and he was the only centre half on the bench so be mad not to but I don't agree with bringing him on in midfield with games won just for the sake of it

Could it be that he knows Carra's seriously considering retiring this summer, and that however astute a coach he'll make you can't put a price on the positive influence training alongside a model professional provides to younger players, plus the untold profit LFC may make from that over the coming years.

Can't blame him for wanting to give a genuine legend every reason to carry on setting the example he does day in day out, to show some of these lads the character, dedication and sacrifice it takes to get to the top. Showing is always more powerful than telling, after all.

I can't help but imagine Bill Shankly commenting on such a situation with a player.

I could be wrong, but for me, I believe he'd say something witty like "We're showing him the respect he deserves by knowing when to call time on fantastic career. You don't let a great boxer carry on forever do you?"

I can see if a player was a couple of games short of some milestone, that a club might do the honourable thing and try and get him over that milestone, but no more than that.

I can't help but imagine Bill Shankly commenting on such a situation with a player.

I could be wrong, but for me, I believe he'd say something witty like "We're showing him the respect he deserves by knowing when to call time on fantastic career. You don't let a great boxer carry on forever do you?"

I can see if a player was a couple of games short of some milestone, that a club might do the honourable thing and try and get him over that milestone, but no more than that.

Are you a closet Liverpool fan? I've no animosity towards you at all but what is your fascination with a has been club? and more to the point why do you pay for the privilege of being on here? It's baffling to be honest.