You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It all goes back to Wenger's philosophy, he doesn't want to win stuff if it means "financial doping", but curiously they have a ridiculously high wage bill. So maybe he sees that as legit but outlandish transfer fees as the problem.

Wenger was once asked by a fan at a board meeting what would he do if someone handed him a cheque for £100m to sign new players.

Wenger's reply: "I'd hand it back to you."

It's nothing to do with Wenger. He's protecting the owners.

Winning isn't everything, says Arsenal official Tom Fox | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

apparently their fans are proud that the stadium came in one time and within budget.

"When they see that we can attract - even though we haven't won a trophy in seven years - one of the top global brands in the world for the type of money and financial commitment they're making, that makes our fans feel proud.

"So our brand is defined by more than winning."

Riiiiight. The fans will be made up that the clubs raking in loads of money for sponsorship, and little of it is going on players. Let's see how much sponsorship they bring in in 5 years time when the ground is half empty and they're struggling to stay in the top 10.

Can't understand why they don't(or haven't) spent big money when there are a few multi billionaires on the board. Can understand trying to stick with FFP rules now but they have seriously underspent in the last 5 seasons and is the reason both Mancs and Chelsit are way ahead of them

Can't understand why they don't(or haven't) spent big money when there are a few multi billionaires on the board. Can understand trying to stick with FFP rules now but they have seriously underspent in the last 5 seasons and is the reason both Mancs and Chelsit are way ahead of them

What does big money mean ?

A big net spend ?

Big sums on individual players ?

For this season they spent somewhere around £40m, they got most of it back through sales though.

The season before it was even more, somewhere around 50m i believe however they recouped even more through sales. So in net spending they are very low, however he's spunked loads on average players like Giroud, Mertesacker, Gervinho etc. And apparently they are giving huge wages to youngsters.

Dave's right when he says Arsenal are insignificant. They finish top four every season (though likely not this season) but never challenge the top two. They rarely make an impact in the domestic cups and they never do anything special in Europe.

They have had, and still have, great players for sure, but many of their great players have realised that success isn't to be had there, and as soon as a more successful or ambitious club shows an interest they can't leave quickly enough.

Like us, they are in decline because they have been selling good players for a while and replacing them with players who aren't as good. Thankfully we have managed to rebuild around the good players we kept and are starting to look strong again.

I don't think Arsenal will finish top 4 this season.

Like us, they are in decline because they have been selling good players for a while and replacing them with players who aren't as good. Thankfully we have managed to rebuild around the good players we kept and are starting to look strong again.

I don't think Arsenal will finish top 4 this season.

Wouldn't say we are starting to look strong again yet, the signs are promising and I think Brendan is the right man, I just hope we come good before the likes of Suarez, Agger, Lucas etc have had enough

the league is certainly full of shite this season so its as good a chance as any to make the top 4

With people commenting about how shit the league is this year, serie a is generally considered to be in a trough, la liga seems to be same old same old. Is this down to the new big spenders across all leagues hoarding all top talent and potential in the big leagues meaning those who aren't backed by billionaires to utilize the 99% for want of another way of putting it. If so it really could spell the end for the game as we know it.

With people commenting about how shit the league is this year, serie a is generally considered to be in a trough, la liga seems to be same old same old. Is this down to the new big spenders across all leagues hoarding all top talent and potential in the big leagues meaning those who aren't backed by billionaires to utilize the 99% for want of another way of putting it. If so it really could spell the end for the game as we know it.

Its certainly part of it. I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in FFP rules doing anything because the people implementing them are shit.

But they really are needed to make the game better IMO.

I think an across the board salary cap would go a long way to levelling the playing field.