You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge

WhiskeyJar

Daniel Sturridge  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Sturridge

• We need him, get him in January
    • Not what we need. We need someone with more quality and experience
    • Not seen him play enough/Unsure about him

This other thing about Walcott and Sturridge. There's absolutely nothing, apart from idle specualtion as far as I can see, to suggest that we're interested in Walcott or that he's interested in coming here, so I don't think people should get too involved in "I'd rather have Walcott than Sturridge", etc, when the only valid links have been with Sturridge who we tried to sign once before and who seemingly wants to come here.

This other thing about Walcott and Sturridge. There's absolutely nothing, apart from idle specualtion as far as I can see, to suggest that we're interested in Walcott or that he's interested in coming here, so I don't think people should get too involved in "I'd rather have Walcott than Sturridge", etc, when the only valid links have been with Sturridge who we tried to sign once before and who seemingly wants to come here.

Walcott has been a Liverpool fan all his life and comes from a family of Liverpool fans.

Not saying its anything concrete but just saying its understandable why the speculation is there.

Yeah' date=' obviously, if we could get him for £10m I'd get him is what I was saying.

See, this is what I dont understand about is going after Sturridge. Swansea got Michu and Hernandez for next to nothing. We've brought in this new scouting team who left City because the 'gems' they were supposedly finding werent being bought and we're still not buying outside of the UK.

We've been stung in the past with Downing, Carroll and Henderson yet its the same mistakes again. He's not worth £12m. Nowhere near it. There is better value out there and we dont need to be in the Champions League to exploit it.[/quote']

So sturridge a goalscorer who's done it at a top club and is exactly the type of player we need and only 23 isn't worth £12m, but joe Allen a midfielder no better than the ones we already had at the club a similar age is "class" in your words is worth £15m, makes sense

So, can someone give me reasons why Sturridge is "arrogant" "a cunt" "has an attitude", and all this stuff? I see people say it all the time but I'm not sure where it comes from.

My own opinion stems from his time at City where it seems he was offered a very good contract yet turned it down for bigger money and to be a bit part player at Chelsea.

He never seems to be much of a regular anywhere and I'm assuming its because he must rub the manager's up the wrong way and have a bit of an attitude problem.

Comparing Luis to him is a bit harsh as Luis is a total professional off the pitch despite his on pitch feistyness.

I dont give a shite about Sturridge's dances,I just reckon getting Chelsea cast offs when we sell them our top striker at the time makes us look far from a big club.

I understand what you're saying and the Sturridge thing certainly has more than just a whiff of rumour about it but we haven't actually signed anyone yet, it's still December.

You're making judgements about a scouting system that has been in place for a few months, outside of the transfer window and asking why we haven't signed any of these 'gems'.

It's basically a done deal by all accounts. Maybe the comments on the scouting team are a bit harsh but spending between £12-£15m on Daniel Sturridge, who has 18 months left on his contract and has never been prolific or any good to suggest that type of money isnt imaginative to say the least.

The one difference about this I'll say is that you can see the plan the manager has. The players Dalgish and Comolli spent the money on were a mish mash of players who like to play football (Henderson and Suarez) and players who can only really play one way (Carroll and Downing). You can see what Rodgers wants more clearly.

So sturridge a goalscorer who's done it at a top club and is exactly the type of player we need and only 23 isn't worth £12m, but joe Allen a midfielder no better than the ones we already had at the club a similar age is "class" in your words is worth £15m, makes sense

When has Sturridge done it at a top club? He's not been prolific for Chelsea at all. He generally scores 1 in 3 and thats what Dirk Kuyt was. Not worth £15m and if you're after a 1 in 3 striker you can spend it better.

And yeah, Allen is class and better than 'what we have' and what we had when he signed. Unless you regard Henderson, Spearing, Adam and an injury prone and aging Gerrard as better and more reliable players. Which I dont.

When has Sturridge done it at a top club? He's not been prolific for Chelsea at all. He generally scores 1 in 3 and thats what Dirk Kuyt was. Not worth £15m and if you're after a 1 in 3 striker you can spend it better.

And yeah, Allen is class and better than 'what we have' and what we had when he signed. Unless you regard Henderson, Spearing, Adam and an injury prone and aging Gerrard as better and more reliable players. Which I dont.

I'd be delighted if Sturridge came and was a 1 in 3 player, who mostly plays wide. That's exactly what we need. Wide players that can help Suarez win games. Not many wide players have better scoring records than 1 in 3, most have nowhere near as good as that. Although like may others, I'd rather Walcott. If we can get both that would be boss!

Re: Allen. I think he is a good buy, but I wouldn't say he is better than Henderson, personally. He's been a good addition and certianly an upgrade on Spearing.

On Walcott, I cannot see him leaving for a club not in the CL, and his wages are likley to be more than we would want to pay.

Sturridge's football pedigree is strong, regular press reports of a poor attitude at Chelsea a worry. but all forward purchses are a gamble. He may do fuck all with a big contract under his belt, or he may feel he has something to prove. That is where our contacts come in and the ex man city boys on the scouting staff can earn their corn.

Bent and Sturridge are the obvious targets, gettable, wages affordable, fee manageable, PL experienced. Sturridge is a little younger so has greater long term value. Worth a try.

On Walcott, I cannot see him leaving for a club not in the CL

Walcott might think we are a side fully capable of being top four if he comes, alongside Suarez etc.

He's a LFC fan, has the same agent as Rodgers, he is unhappy at Arsenal, his contract is running out, he should thrive in our system as when Suarez roams he can exploit that central space. We've also got a lot of English players we might help, as he should know a few of them.

We have selling points to get Walcott. We might not be favourites, it will depend who else is in for him, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

It's basically a done deal by all accounts. Maybe the comments on the scouting team are a bit harsh but spending between £12-£15m on Daniel Sturridge' date=' who has 18 months left on his contract and has never been prolific or any good to suggest that type of money isnt imaginative to say the least.

The one difference about this I'll say is that you can see the plan the manager has. The players Dalgish and Comolli spent the money on were a mish mash of players who like to play football (Henderson and Suarez) and players who can only really play one way (Carroll and Downing). You can see what Rodgers wants more clearly.

And yeah, Allen is class and better than 'what we have' and what we had when he signed. Unless you regard Henderson, Spearing, Adam and an injury prone and aging Gerrard as better and more reliable players. Which I dont.[/quote']

Henderson is better and is proving it but the part time psychologists seem to think else, Allen is a slightly better version of spearing and at least Adam actually did something on the field, Gerrard with one fuckin leg is a better player than Allen is. Class, fuck me your idea of class is pretty low.

He's a water carrier, and in Lucas we have the best water carrier about, pointless signing when we'd other issues.

James Pearce from The Echo has said we are interested in both. That's as good a source as you will get.

I'm still not sure why everyone is bothered by what prices we pay.

Despite overspending last summer, at least we brought in the players the manager wanted.

I'll never forget Kenny saying he'll spend the money like it was his own. I trusted him when he said that, and that's why I accepted his fate in the end.

On the flip side, I think Rafa suffered because he had to settle for his second or third choice targets.

Give the manager the backing he needs to bring in the players he wants and let's see where it takes us.

No more fucking excuses.

As for the front 6, it seems he wants to add Ince and Sturridge to Borini, Suarez and Sterling. The only way we'd be in for one more is if he doesn't rate Assaidi (which is plausible).

Although, if Sterling doesn't sign, we'd need someone then too.

Walcott might think we are a side fully capable of being top four if he comes, alongside Suarez etc.

He's a LFC fan, has the same agent as Rodgers, he is unhappy at Arsenal, his contract is running out, he should thrive in our system as when Suarez roams he can exploit that central space. We've also got a lot of English players we might help, as he should know a few of them.

We have selling points to get Walcott. We might not be favourites, it will depend who else is in for him, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Hopefully Walcott is waiting to see whether we finish in the top 4 before committing himself one way or the other, for all the above reasons plus it would offer the combination of Champions League and first team football in a set-up beneficial to his game.

With a free transfer in 6 months it makes more sense for him to keep his options open until the summer - to be honest none of those available right now come without a significant potential negative, especially committing to stay at Arsenal.

For our part, if we've levered Joe Cole out of the door by then it should free up a chunk of the wages he'd want.

Hopefully Walcott is waiting to see whether we finish in the top 4 before committing himself one way or the other, for all the above reasons plus it would offer the combination of Champions League and first team football in a set-up beneficial to his game.

With a free transfer in 6 months it makes more sense for him to keep his options open until the summer.

We won't get him on a free though. United, City, Chelsea, PSG, maybe even Barca and Real would be interested in Walcott on a free transfer and we couldn't match the wages / chance to win trophies than the others can.

If we want Walcott, we have to get him in January IMO, before the other clubs get him.

If that means paying £10 million, so be it. Get it done, as soon as he signs his value rises back to £15 million+.