You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Did my first run since the marathon yesterday so first in 3 weeks. Had to properly drag my arse out as I couldn’t be bothered but once I started felt fucking great. Ran 9.5 mile in an hour and 17 minutes with enough energy for a bit of a sprint finish. Hoping to stick to around that distance once a week now to keep my hand in.

Mad how my attitude towards running has changed I used to genuinely loathe it but reckon it’s because I was never fit enough to enjoy it properly. Feel rubbish now if I haven’t had a go for a while.

• Upvote 2

Did my first run since the marathon yesterday so first in 3 weeks. Had to properly drag my arse out as I couldn’t be bothered but once I started felt fucking great. Ran 9.5 mile in an hour and 17 minutes with enough energy for a bit of a sprint finish. Hoping to stick to around that distance once a week now to keep my hand in.

Mad how my attitude towards running has changed I used to genuinely loathe it but reckon it’s because I was never fit enough to enjoy it properly. Feel rubbish now if I haven’t had a go for a while.

Will you do another marathon, do you think?

Any advice on how quick or fast to build up my running?

Basically I did that fat bastard couch to 5k a couple of times but I feel like I'm a bit past that now, although still pretty unfit. I did 10 minutes on the treadmill jogging at the weekend as part of a wider cardio session and that felt fine (ankle playing up a tiny bit  but nothing major).

At what rate should I increase the duration of that do you reckon so I can slowly get used to it? A minute a week/session for example?

Basically I did that fat bastard couch to 5k a couple of times but I feel like I'm a bit past that now, although still pretty unfit. I did 10 minutes on the treadmill jogging at the weekend as part of a wider cardio session and that felt fine (ankle playing up a tiny bit  but nothing major).

At what rate should I increase the duration of that do you reckon so I can slowly get used to it? A minute a week/session for example?

Do you want to run inside or outside? For me it's so much easier to run for any length of time outside. Adding distance is really about mind over matter. Thinking I'd wait until I was feeling good at a certain distance before adding a bit more never really worked. I worked out that I just had to make my mind up on a certain run I was going to add a bit further and took it from there. Marathon preparation guides seem to recommend adding 15 minutes a week once you had got to 5k and that certainly worked for me

Walk fast until it takes too long to become practical. I started at about 5k and ended up doing 15k at 5am because it took so long. By this stage i was pretty fit and lost a stone or so.

Then started running the 5k, 1k at a time.

Then work in a bit more running, then a bit more and so on.

Basically I did that fat bastard couch to 5k a couple of times but I feel like I'm a bit past that now, although still pretty unfit. I did 10 minutes on the treadmill jogging at the weekend as part of a wider cardio session and that felt fine (ankle playing up a tiny bit but nothing major).

Download Nike + and set up a training programme. It’ll tell you how often, how far and how fast to run.

• Upvote 1

Do you want to run inside or outside? For me it's so much easier to run for any length of time outside. Adding distance is really about mind over matter. Thinking I'd wait until I was feeling good at a certain distance before adding a bit more never really worked. I worked out that I just had to make my mind up on a certain run I was going to add a bit further and took it from there. Marathon preparation guides seem to recommend adding 15 minutes a week once you had got to 5k and that certainly worked for me

I just want to use it to lose weight really,  the couch 5k worked a treat but when you miss a few sessions you have to go back to the beginning and you end up not going at all. I want to do 'some' jogging as part of a wider gym fitness routine but don't really want to do marathons and stuff.

I'm genuinely not built for running, I'm 6'2 and my ideal weight is about 16 stone.

I would go with 3 x 20 mins per week. That could start as 3 min Run then 2 min walk x four times. Gradually increasing the time of running. Once you can comfortably run 20 mins x 3 times a week, then I would start to increase the time/length of the runs. 

• Upvote 1

I would go with 3 x 20 mins per week. That could start as 3 min Run then 2 min walk x four times. Gradually increasing the time of running. Once you can comfortably run 20 mins x 3 times a week, then I would start to increase the time/length of the runs.

20 sounds ideal but how long would you take building up to that? I managed 10 minutes fine but wasn't sure how to build it up in terms of steps.

20 sounds ideal but how long would you take building up to that? I managed 10 minutes fine but wasn't sure how to build it up in terms of steps.

Its surprising how much more you can do, don't push too much but a minute or two a week is easily accomplishable.

As I said, maybe start with 3 min run and 2 min walk, which gives 12 minutes total running out of 20 minutes. Then maybe 3.5 min run with 1.5 min walk. 

Initially it is not about increasing fitness/aerobic capacity but about increasing your bodies ability to adjust to running regularly. The mistake all beginners (and runners coming back from injury) make is too much, too soon. There is no point doing a 30 minute run now and then not being able to run for eight weeks. Best to take eight weeks to build up so you can run 30 minutes regularly, niggle free, then worry about everything else after that. 

EDIT: Do your first run of 10 minutes tomorrow and make sure you stop after 10 minutes, even if you feel like you can carry on. Best to feel you could/can do more and stop then push on and get an injury which means you can't run for two weeks.  

• Upvote 1

Have downloaded that Nike app and it's prescribed me a first run of 10 minutes. I'll give that a bash tomorrow.

Honestly it’s a great app, you can tailor you runs to exactly what you need, have guided runs which is like having a personal trainer (if you wear headphones of course) and all your splits, distance, elevation etc are captured.

I’ve done 2474 miles since I started.

• Upvote 1

Will you do another marathon, do you think?

Yeah reckon I probably will but maybe not for a couple of years. My plan is to maintain a regular half marathon distance so that the jump isn’t too massive when I decide to do one again.

Secsh, I used to genuinely hate running because I was proper hit and miss with it and was never really fit enough to do it properly. I reckon the key was just running distances that I could manage and increasing them incrementally once I felt comfortable running them. I used to run the same distance for 2 weeks before moving up to the next distance and spending 2 weeks on that and so on. Not sure if that’s a good think to do but it seemed to work.

I used to do loads of running and was trying to get back into it recently but I've got a popping issue in my Achilles. When I stretch the foot out I'll get a random pop which is audible and can feel the skin popping out. The pain lasts around 5-6 minutes. I've changed to using the cross trainer and don't get the issue using that. Am I dying?

Had to go out running before work this morning as it is so bloody hot when I get home. It was enjoyable but tough. 19 degrees at 6.30am. 

I done a 5k race last week and it was mid twenties. Not used to running in those temperatures.