You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

We are running the Edinburgh marathon in May for the granddaughter of a friend of mine who has been diagnosed with a rare brain tumour. I am not a big fan of pestering people for money so apologies if this bothers anyone, but if people could possibly share this on their social media it really would be very much appreciated as they need all of the support they can get at the moment. Cheers.

https://www.justgiving.com/Edinburgh-marathon-for-edie

This is the link to the general appeal for anyone who wants anymore info

https://spider-ede-appeal.org.uk/

Managed 6k in 32:27 today - first run in 10 days. Felt fucking great.

Great stuff mate.

I'm no expert but I find the longer breaks (Not too long!) do you the world of good.

In regards to pacing, do you find running further distances increases your 5k times? I did 5k today in 35mins which is progress but ultimately I want to be doing it in under 30mins.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff mate.

I'm no expert but I find the longer breaks (Not too long!) do you the world of good.

In regards to pacing, do you find running further distances increases your 5k times? I did 5k today in 35mins which is progress but ultimately I want to be doing it in under 30mins.

Cheers.

I think going further will probably make you quicker over shorter distances, but it doesn't happen overnight. If you're doing 10k semi-regularly, a 5k will seem like a piece of piss and you can power on for the last 1500m or so. It'll probably take you a couple of months for the speed to pick up, and everyone's different. The main thing is not to force it - if you go out for a 5k and try to sprint off you might end up injuring yourself or getting pissed off if you're not flying. If you get 3.5k into your 5k at your usual pace and your body is used to doing 8k or 10k, you should be able to step it up at the end without trying to force it.

I've never done proper interval training but others tell me that's the key to getting quicker. I find that I can sometimes just count off 50, 80 or 150 paces to go quicker every 5 minutes or so, but the downside can be that your pace can drop off too far the other way. 

• Upvote 1

I found hill sprints the best for increasing pace. I did 10k in just under 48m a couple of years ago at an organised event after doing it the previous year in 59m.

I just did 1 long run a week. A couple of fast 5k’s up a steep course intermittently sprinting.

Previously I had been focusing on distance. I never intend to run anything more than 10k now.

• Upvote 2

I found hill sprints the best for increasing pace. I did 10k in just under 48m a couple of years ago at an organised event after doing it the previous year in 59m.

I just did 1 long run a week. A couple of fast 5k’s up a steep course intermittently sprinting.

Previously I had been focusing on distance. I never intend to run anything more than 10k now.

Impressive that make. 

My knees are shot so I can't manage much over 10k - do 12/13k once or twice a year when the weather's nice and I'm in the mood.

I certainly agree that doing shorter runs makes you quicker over longer distances.

• 3 weeks later...

This week sums up the random variations in running performance. I managed 6k on Saturday in 32:30; 6k Sunday in 32:02 and then today chugged a 5k in 29:19, feeling like death. No rhyme or reason to it, but keep on keeping on!

Must have been fucking hot today. I’d much rather run in the rain.

Must have been fucking hot today. I’d much rather run in the rain.

I went at 7:45 - jut nice. I quite like running when it's warm. Although one thing she should probably not do is 45 minutes on a treadmill in a hotel gym with glass walls and no aircon in Gran Canaria in July. Heatstroke central. 

Big shout out to my son's mate (the inspiration for his username) and his dad who are running in the London Marathon raising money to support people, like his brother, with autism today.

I feel for them all running in that heat

• Upvote 1

Big shout out to my son's mate (the inspiration for his username) and his dad who are running in the London Marathon raising money to support people, like his brother, with autism today.

I feel for them all running in that heat

A friend of mine qualifies as best for age, she was aiming for 3:25 - 3:30. Finished in 4:10. She’s devastated.