You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

i was working nights refurbishing the flooring in an entrance lobby of a local hospital here in Dublin.

time seems to become irrelevant when you do nights, its weird, plus i saw more foxes in the past 4 weeks than ive ever seen in my life. 

Thankfully im back on days now, although i do have to look after the kids now...........

I remember working nights once and walking past someone's garden wall on my way home and a fox jumped onto the wall right next to me. I realised how unrealistic the reactions are in horror films like Alien and such because I nearly backflipped, screamed, had a heart attack in the space of a second, followed by me calling a fox a fucking cunt and swearing to myself for the next few minutes. The only other time I've felt so alive was when I realised what made me jump wasn't a spider but the leaf/stem off a tomato. Dangerous wild Britain.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I remember working nights once and walking past someone's garden wall on my way home and a fox jumped onto the wall right next to me. I realised how unrealistic the reactions are in horror films like Alien and such because I nearly backflipped, screamed, had a heart attack in the space of a second, followed by me calling a fox a fucking cunt and swearing to myself for the next few minutes. The only other time I've felt so alive was when I realised what made me jump wasn't a spider but the leaf/stem off a tomato. Dangerous wild Britain.

When I lived in Southsea there were always foxes as soon as it got dark. It became weird not to see one on the way back from the pub. The problem being that they only had wheelie bins for recycling and you'd have to leave bin-bags out the night before bind-day. Sure enough the foxes would all rip the bin bags to shreds and have a full on feast. Have you ever heard foxes shagging? Blood curdling screeches at 4am. Bastards. That said I hope they all grow into 6 foot bastards and start fighting back against the hunting cunts. 

• Upvote 1

I must see between 6-10 foxes a night. Probably see a badger once a month, at least on the cameras and hear owls most nights. 

I was walking in the summer months and took the longer way but I meant the walk was over a nature reserve(less than half mile) and down the canal path. Would see at least a dozen rabbits each morning. 

Do any of you other shift workers have a shift count target for the year? It's an underhand way of circumventing employment law so that holiday and until recently sick days don't count towards your minimum shifts for the year so you have to make them up on your days off to reach your shift count. 

We have 4 teams of 2 on our shift team, so 8 members. 4 of this team are Muslim and Sikh, so one of the guys offered to rearrange the rota so those of us that celebrate Christmas can have it off. Sounds like a lovely gesture doesn't it? Well, it turns out the guy rearranging the rota has given him and his shift buddy all the quiet decent shifts over Christmas, hammering the OT and fucked over my Muslim shift buddy making him work something like 9 shifts in 11 days and leaving me well short on my shift count, simultaneously taking all our quiet shifts and lumping us in on the shit new year's shifts when every cunt comes back to work. Despite us both going against the change, we were overruled because it suited the majority. We also lose out on 2 Bank Holidays, again when it's dead and when you work bank hols you get 1 day TOIL. This leaves me having to make up my shift count last minute and cover days that suit the business rather than me. It's like a really shit shift swap we didn't agree to being forced on us. 

17 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Do any of you other shift workers have a shift count target for the year? It's an underhand way of circumventing employment law so that holiday and until recently sick days don't count towards your minimum shifts for the year so you have to make them up on your days off to reach your shift count. 

We have 4 teams of 2 on our shift team, so 8 members. 4 of this team are Muslim and Sikh, so one of the guys offered to rearrange the rota so those of us that celebrate Christmas can have it off. Sounds like a lovely gesture doesn't it? Well, it turns out the guy rearranging the rota has given him and his shift buddy all the quiet decent shifts over Christmas, hammering the OT and fucked over my Muslim shift buddy making him work something like 9 shifts in 11 days and leaving me well short on my shift count, simultaneously taking all our quiet shifts and lumping us in on the shit new year's shifts when every cunt comes back to work. Despite us both going against the change, we were overruled because it suited the majority. We also lose out on 2 Bank Holidays, again when it's dead and when you work bank hols you get 1 day TOIL. This leaves me having to make up my shift count last minute and cover days that suit the business rather than me. It's like a really shit shift swap we didn't agree to being forced on us. 

Tell them you're sikh of it 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So after 22 years I’m no longer going to be doing shift work as I knew it. No more days off in the week, no more double shifts and only being in for 2 or 3 days a week. 

I’m on my last month of shift work before changing jobs and going to Monday - Friday, 07:00 - 15:30. On-call one week every two months and every weekend off sounds great. 

Getting up 6am 5 days on the trot not so

much! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

So after 22 years I’m no longer going to be doing shift work as I knew it. No more days off in the week, no more double shifts and only being in for 2 or 3 days a week. 

I’m on my last month of shift work before changing jobs and going to Monday - Friday, 07:00 - 15:30. On-call one week every two months and every weekend off sounds great. 

Getting up 6am 5 days on the trot not so

much! 

Twice a week have a nap when you get home. Made that shift a lot easier for me. And get into a routine of going to sleep before 11. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Razoray said:

Twice a week have a nap when you get home. Made that shift a lot easier for me. And get into a routine of going to sleep before 11. 

My sleep is fucked at the best of times mate - I don’t see that improving any time soon. 

An afternoon nap however sounds fucking ace. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

My sleep is fucked at the best of times mate - I don’t see that improving any time soon. 

An afternoon nap however sounds fucking ace. 

You'll have a set routine so use it. If you put the effort in to go to sleep around the same time your body click will change to suit. It mightn't happen overnight (get it?) but your shift never allowed a routine of sleep. It does now. 

Nap 4pm - 5pm on a Friday evening, waking up a bit drowsy but knowing you are going for a few pints and have the weekend off. Bliss 

Love working shifts at my place.

Three days on, four off but the shifts rotate on a 4 week basis. Sun, Mon, Tues for 4 weeks followed by Weds, Thurs, Fri for 4 weeks.

Swings and roundabouts though as the change over from SMT to WTF shift is accompanied by 7 days off. On the flip side, WTF to SMT is a 1 day off basis on the Saturday. 12:20 hour days but pretty stress free.

Who'd have thought working with advanced fighter jets would be so easy.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Love working shifts at my place.

Three days on, four off but the shifts rotate on a 4 week basis. Sun, Mon, Tues for 4 weeks followed by Weds, Thurs, Fri for 4 weeks.

Swings and roundabouts though as the change over from SMT to WTF shift is accompanied by 7 days off. On the flip side, WTF to SMT is a 1 day off basis on the Saturday. 12:20 hour days but pretty stress free.

Who'd have thought working with advanced fighter jets would be so easy.

Decent pattern that mate

3 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

The funny thing is, people do actually moan about it. Usually those that have been here since they were 16.

One thing I will say for shift workers; and I do include myself in this, is we sure love a good moan! 

• Upvote 1