You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Slightly difficult to judge because prior to fucking off to Chelsea he basically stayed at Atletico, and maybe even us, possibly longer than he "needed to". The fact he played for Atletico also ruled out Real Madrid as an option. He could have won more and hit some higher numbers personally if he'd "managed" his career better. It probably made the move to Chelsea that much harder to stomach as it seemed to completely fly in the face of the emotion of the rest of his career up until that point. He wasn't getting this anywhere else -

I also think that while his drop off at Chelsea was so surprisingly steep, that type of striker always tends to have a shorter career at the absolute highest level. He was a seven furlong race horse. Once the explosive pace had gone to some extent he was never going to have a David Villa-esque early 30s.

Who would his late 00s rivals be? Zlatan, Eto'o, Villa, Shevchenko, and Drogba? Something like that? Shevchenko had taken the Chelsea retirement fund a few years earlier. Obviously top class for the first half of the 2000s at Milan. Zlatan went from team to team managing his career perfectly to ensure he won the league every year. Villa was phenomenal at Valencia, and then his style meant he could prolong the career well at Barcelona and then Atletico, I think he'd have struggled somewhat in late 2000s Premier League footbal. Eto'o was great at Barca but he'd already fucked off to Russia by 30, possibly the most similar to Torres in that he was never going to be the same player beyond that age due to his style of play. Drogba was perfect for England, but his numbers weren't amazing.

For me, Villa from 2005-2011 was probably the best but he never had the spellbinding aura that Torres had for about 18-24 months, and I think that was probably to be expected when you analyse them technically as footballers.

Ok, thanks for that. My memories of his best days are pretty small. 

The Coutinho comparison was that they both felt they were too good for us and it turned out they weren't really. 

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

LFC socials milking this Torres love in for all its worth. Sick of seeing him on my timeline.

I agree with that Dave.  I swear there were some games for us where he played badly on purpose.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I agree with that Dave.  I swear there were some games for us where he played badly on purpose.

What sealed it for me was when he played like his old self for one game.  Against Chelsea. 
I thought, if he ends up going there that’ll be the final proof he downed tools against other teams.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha fucking hell. He was better than Trezeguet ever was 

Eh just no, Trezeguet might be the greatest striker that has ever lived.

One touch, booom, goal!

7 minutes ago, Code said:

Eh just no, Trezeguet might be the greatest striker that has ever lived.

One touch, booom, goal!

Henrik Larsson was better. Fowler, Batistuta, Torres, Van Nistelrooy, Andy Cole, Raul, Shearer, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Crespo……  

I think the down tools argument, just because they didn't like what was going on in the club is ridiculous. 

They are getting paid an insane amount of money to do something, most of is would give our right arm for.

From memory,torres spent those last 6 months sulking.

If he wanted to go,fine,but that's no excuse for not giving 100% on the pitch.

On 25/03/2024 at 14:56, VladimirIlyich said:

I was going to mention both of them myself. To be fair to Owen,at least he didn't down tools and had already given many years of success and service to the club. Torres best form was fleeting at best.

Spot on - Owen even tried to come straight back when the move to Madrid didn’t work out. He also didn’t go to one of our closest rivals.

That video where he’s trying to make it sound different than it actually was was embarrassing - “they showed no interest in keeping me after I gave my transfer request in - more how much money could they make”. Like your bird ending things and being kissed off you don’t beg her to stay. Fuck off. All that money went straight into new transfers too, so that doesn’t work out, plus as has been mentioned - he walked about like a petulant cunt. He can fuck off. 

I wouldn’t have in in a list of our best ever players either - he did it over a short period of time. One of the best we’ve had in the premier league era - yeah, ok, but that’s about it.

1 hour ago, redinblack said:

He wasn't right to draw a wage and do fuck all for a year. Fuck him.

How do you think we signed Van Dijk?

Or is it only wrong when Liverpool players do it?

I can tell you that in the Souness years there were a lot of big name players that downed tools under him.

57 minutes ago, Dicko said:

How do you think we signed Van Dijk?

Or is it only wrong when Liverpool players do it?

I can tell you that in the Souness years there were a lot of big name players that downed tools under him.

Are you pretending Virg downed tools for Southampton?

Screenshot_2024-03-30-00-16-46-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

9 hours ago, dave u said:

Sick of the sight of him now, wish he'd fuck off and stop hanging around pretending he's some top red. The club socials fawning over him is pissing me right off. 

This week gets even weirder when you remember that people were calling Robertson a cunt for having the temerity to be injured for a few days, after a dirty tackle from some journeyman.

”How dare Robbo go out there and play as Scotland captain, before the Euros, giving it everything in every match. What we need is Torres phoning it in, until his future employers are in town to get a move, that’s a real Liverpool player, I love him.”

• Upvote 2

I’m not making this shit up, or strawmanning, because how could you?

It’s just beyond belief.

On 26/03/2024 at 21:17, Rushies tash said:

Robbo fucking won't. He needs launching off the Pier Head for playing tonight the fucking idiot.

On 26/03/2024 at 20:43, El Rojo said:

Robbo’s an idiot to risk himself in a game as meaningless as this. Absolutely stupid stuff from him. 

On 26/03/2024 at 23:32, Trojan1892 said:

Robbo is a fucking prick.

On 27/03/2024 at 10:23, Carra_is_legend said:

That's him out for the season. Fucking idiot. 

On 27/03/2024 at 10:29, Carra_is_legend said:

What makes me absolutely furious is that he apparently tried to continue after this. What a fucking tit. 

7 hours ago, Dicko said:

Torres was right to fuck us off.

On 28/03/2024 at 12:59, Strontium said:

Context is everything. Torres was not a happy player, and, some would argue, with very good reason. He wanted to leave pretty much from the start of the 2010/11 season. We had just appointed Roy fucking Hodgson to replace Rafa, and we'd also sold one of his best friends, Yossi Benayoun, to Chelsea. The club was in turmoil off the pitch, and on it, we had made a slew of disastrously bad signings (I won't sully this thread by even mentioning their names). Benayoun was telling friends in the October and maybe earllier that Torres wanted to join him at Chelsea who, lest we forget, were the reigning champions, and in light of the complete and utter shitshow we had become, I don't blame anyone for having their head turned.

These are all posters I really like.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, dave u said:

Sick of the sight of him now, wish he'd fuck off and stop hanging around pretending he's some top red. The club socials fawning over him is pissing me right off. 

Maybe he's going to be the new manager...

5 hours ago, Kevin D said:

It’s just beyond belief.

These are all posters I really like.

I’ve reached out to Robbo’s representatives and I’m quite willing to row back on the strength of my words if he only misses one game. I’m told he’s happy with this and will use it as extra motivation in his recovery.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kevin D said:

His shoulder dislocation wasn't his fault either. I think much of our frustration stems from our dislike of the international football calender as a whole - and how many players comeback broken. Especially when Arsenal's 'injured' players will no doubt trot out to start their game tomorrow.

• Upvote 2