You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it seems like they are trying to save money by forcing Hodgson to resign by making his life a misery but Its clear he wont resign.

That´s a pretty scary scenario to be honest. What is needed to get him resign ? Whole stadium singing fuck off hodgson or something ? Eggs thrown to his face or some vandalism to his car ? Things could get nasty...

Guest davelfc

As much as we might kick and scream, there's nothing we can really do. Even with more information we are just spectators in this. But on this one we are outside trying to peep in through the windows when it actually looks like the place is closed.

Henry and Werner said we should be patient, give them time. Sure that's ok, like if you're planning on building an extension to your house you know it's not going to be done in a day. But if in the meantime a fire starts then the patience part goes out of the window and you have to act quickly.

The new owners are right now being judged on their actions. Ultimately they will be judged on how they solved the problem but right now they're being judged on how they are dealing with it. To us it seems nothing is happening, already the villagers are eyeing the pitch fork cupboard.

Roy is just about the last part of the old regime, the gutless wonder has come in and in the space of just six months done years worth of damage. But he hasn't acted alone, he has had unbelievable support from various sources who should, after he has been sacked, hold their heads in shame.

We are about to see just what our new owners are made of, just how they solve this will tell us so much. I feel it's unfair to judge them harshly before we see what they do. We can criticize how they did it later. But it's the solution that will benefit us in the long term, remember that.

When did we get loads of mentralists as fans?

The Americans have come into a new club, they are obviously going to be wary of how it will look if they sack Hodgson, especially after the last lot of Americans. Perhaps they have given Roy too slack as a result.

Its obviously clear to them now that he needs replacing, but what were they going to do? Give a new manger a start of away to Utd in the cup and a Derby too.

When did we get loads of mentralists as fans?

The Americans have come into a new club, they are obviously going to be wary of how it will look if they sack Hodgson, especially after the last lot of Americans. Perhaps they have given Roy too slack as a result.

Its obviously clear to them now that he needs replacing, but what were they going to do? Give a new manger a start of away to Utd in the cup and a Derby too.

Just after May 2005

To me it seems like they are trying to save money by forcing Hodgson to resign by making his life a misery but Its clear he wont resign.

It really is cheap, horrible and nasty and I am personally very saddened by it

Nick, don't you think that Hodgson's misery is self-inflicted - the performances, tactics, media blunders, etc? He has decided not to resign and therefore either believes he will turn things around or is looking for compensation. I can't help but contrast this with how Stachan behaved at Middlesborough:

Gordon Strachan has resigned as Middlesbrough manager after less than a year in charge at the Riverside.

Strachan departed with the club in 20th place in the Championship, their lowest league position for 20 years.

"He offered his resignation but not only that - in doing so he tore up his contract," Boro chairman Steve Gibson told BBC Tees.

"He sought no compensation and walked away from the club with empty hands and it's a measure of the man."

Gibson added: "Gordon would be the first to admit that things haven't turned out as we'd have hoped.

"We've had some long, hard very honest discussions in the last month, and today Gordon met with me, we had a long discussion and during that debate he offered his resignation, and I accepted it.

"He's a man of massive integrity, very hard-working, cared deeply for this football club.

"We asked him to do a huge job, I know he gave his best and sometimes circumstances happen where it just doesn't work.

"I like him enormously, but it hasn't worked and we had to face up to it."

Its justpure speculation to say that FSG is doing nothing, we have no clue what is going on behind closed doors. They're not prepared to panic and frankly are showing a lot more faith in the longterm viability of LFC than a lot of people on this site.

They've good owners and are going to make good decisions. As bad a RH has been its not just him, by all accounts the team is behind him yet they have put in a lot of weak performances. I'm sure FSG don't see any benefit in putting in an interim manager to deal with the same crap or settle for 2nd or even 3rd choice of managers because they have to wait.

Also their deliberate approach has got to be reassuring to some top managers whom they may be in discussions with. Who wants to go manage a team where the owners will turf you in a panic?

Didn't he say after the takeover if they wanted to sack him, they'd have to pay his contract up, I'm actually sure he said it, im on phone so can't search.

"I have a three-year contract so if someone wants to get rid of me they presumably will have to pay out my three years contract."

Roy Hodgson asks for time to complete his 'major job' at Liverpool | Football | The Guardian

Whilst it makes totally logic sense to relieve Roy of his duties now I can still personally see the reasoning in just keeping him as well until the end of the season and step up the efforts more than ever to get the long term successor to him in, in the meantime for the rest of the season.

To do that though this CEO business needs sorting out once and for all. It was more of a priority than Damian Comolli was and should have been the first thing on the agenda when the new owners bought the club. The long-term successor to Roy can't really begin in earnest until we have whoever this may be on board to start the process.

We did this when Rafa joined us, GH was a busted flush for the 2003-04 season but despite Parry's faults he went out and got us (at the time) one of the best two young managers in European football but that process started in the January of 2004.

We won't go down, a mid-table at worst, Europa league spot at best is where we will more than likely finish this season so just write the season off, finish as high as we can and see if we do anything in one of the cup competitions. It isn't the first season in the recent past we will have written off after a certain period of the season. The Souness to Evans change in 1993-94 seen some appalling results after Souness left and ditto when Evans left mid-season for GH to take over back in 1998-99. We just regrouped in the summer of those seasons and seen better seasons the following season.

While the owners are still finding their feet here and seeing how things are run and should be run I can certainly accept some short-term pain if they take their time appointing the right manager for hopefully long-term gain. If that means Hodgson stays and we get the best calibre of manager available in the summer then it will be worth waiting for in the long run surely.

I like Roy and think he is a decent manager and a decent bloke despite some gaffes with the press, he just hasn't been the right man for us. When he does eventually leave here I hope he does well wherever he goes next and I bear no ill feeling towards him. He had a go at the job and would have been daft not to take the it (although he probably wishes he had stayed in the relatively safety net of Fulham now as do we) but his best wasn't good enough. I was happy with his appointment in the summer and could see the logic in it but I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. I said the other day I have no problem with the fans who say ''I told you so over Roy'' and he has pretty much lived to expectations what people said, maybe even worse.

I just think for all of our sakes someone needs to come out and state exactly what is going on behind the scenes as it isn't doing us or Roy any favours at all and it isn't a pleasant experience seeing all our dirty linen in public again. I can understand why Roy isn't quitting (and I don't think it has anything to do with pay-off) but I just think it is down to professional pride and (some people may say deluded, again understandable if people feel that way) that he thinks he can turn it round still when it is just more a flicker of hope more than anything than expectation that he will.

Whilst it makes totally logic sense to relieve Roy of his duties now I can still personally see the reasoning in just keeping him as well until the end of the season and step up the efforts more than ever to get the long term successor to him in, in the meantime for the rest of the season.

To do that though this CEO business needs sorting out once and for all. It was more of a priority than Damian Comolli was and should have been the first thing on the agenda when the new owners bought the club. The long-term successor to Roy can't really begin in earnest until we have whoever this may be on board to start the process.

We did this when Rafa joined us, GH was a busted flush for the 2003-04 season but despite Parry's faults he went out and got us (at the time) one of the best two young managers in European football but that process started in the January of 2004.

We won't go down, a mid-table at worst, Europa league spot at best is where we will more than likely finish this season so just write the season off, finish as high as we can and see if we do anything in one of the cup competitions. It isn't the first season in the recent past we will have written off after a certain period of the season. The Souness to Evans change in 1993-94 seen some appalling results after Souness left and ditto when Evans left mid-season for GH to take over back in 1998-99. We just regrouped in the summer of those seasons and seen better seasons the following season.

While the owners are still finding their feet here and seeing how things are run and should be run I can certainly accept some short-term pain if they take their time appointing the right manager for hopefully long-term gain. If that means Hodgson stays and we get the best calibre of manager available in the summer then it will be worth waiting for in the long run surely.

I like Roy and think he is a decent manager and a decent bloke despite some gaffes with the press, he just hasn't been the right man for us. When he does eventually leave here I hope he does well wherever he goes next and I bear no ill feeling towards him. He had a go at the job and would have been daft not to take the it (although he probably wishes he had stayed in the relatively safety net of Fulham now as do we) but his best wasn't good enough. I was happy with his appointment in the summer and could see the logic in it but I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. I said the other day I have no problem with the fans who say ''I told you so over Roy'' and he has pretty much lived to expectations what people said, maybe even worse.

I just think for all of our sakes someone needs to come out and state exactly what is going on behind the scenes as it isn't doing us or Roy any favours at all and it isn't a pleasant experience seeing all our dirty linen in public again. I can understand why Roy isn't quitting (and I don't think it has anything to do with pay-off) but I just think it is down to professional pride and (some people may say deluded, again understandable if people feel that way) that he thinks he can turn it round still when it is just more a flicker of hope more than anything than expectation that he will.

This may well be a good post, but i'll never know because i stopped reading there.

"I have a three-year contract so if someone wants to get rid of me they presumably will have to pay out my three years contract."

Roy Hodgson asks for time to complete his 'major job' at Liverpool | Football | The Guardian

Did he really say that? Jesus, anyone else came out with that and they'd be rightly slaughtered. The verbal version of rubbing your fingers together........ "Oh no he di'nt!"

Mate. Really?

Did he really say that? Jesus, anyone else came out with that and they'd be rightly slaughtered. The verbal version of rubbing your fingers together........ "Oh no he di'nt!"

To be honest, Johnny, I've no problem getting his pay out if he goes. We (the club) signed the contract knowing what we were doing, so why should he lose out.