You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Higgins RIP

A tad over-the-top some of the risque comments here.

A bit of respect for the passing of a man, and a man who gave pleasure to millions, also, isn't too much to ask? I know it's Saturday night, but...

Anyway, RIP, Alex.

A bloke I used to know tried to write his biography, Higgins was involved in the project but in the end he was such a twat the bloke had to fuck him off. He was phoning him for cash at all hours, lying, kept going missing, pissed all the time and generally a cunt.

[YOUTUBE]df9T5p-aHoY[/YOUTUBE]

Brilliant player. RIP

Fantastic break. It's the mental strength under pressure that's so impressive. He makes all the right decisions and pulls off every shot he takes on. Brilliant to watch.

Maybe the greatest natural snooker talent there has been and he made it a tv event. Ironic they're now toying with Power Snooker to generate some excitement.

Is there anything that isn't going to be reduced to how much money it can make?

So what if it isn't a great TV event, neither is chess but you wouldn't add cheerleaders and a big bang feel just to get a bit more ad revenue.

Shit on toast.

A legend in so many ways. To lose him to an illness like throat cancer is horrid.

R.I.P may your aim be true and straight.

Like what ??? for a while he was really good at snooker and that's about it really, lead a life of drinking and smoking and paid the ultimate price, why is anyone remotely arsed he's died ?? bizarre.

Sad seeing those pictures of Higgins at the end, remember last year thinking he wasn’t long for this world, although he kept going longer than I thought he would, had a bit of fight he did.

Met him a few times, played him in a tournament in Glasgow, cause it was Higgins and so many wanted to watch him they covered the surrounding tables, by the end of the game (beat me 5-3) he’d completely covered the next table with loads of ash, did smoke a bit, spoke to him afterwards, seemed a good bloke.

Also remember a tournament in Stoke, normally get changed into your gear at the venue, Higgins walked in fully dressed waistcoat an everything with sunglasses on (winter, was rainy and dark outside, about half eight in morn) straight to the free bar and got two cans of that gold label barley wine stuff which think is quite strong, sat by us always messing about with cues he was, picked mine up looked at it for a bit and wanted to buy it, by the time matches were played he’d had a few more of these cans, went down and got beat 5-0 by Dave Harold.

He’ll always be remembered as an absolute great though, he was the original real life version of Fast Eddie Felson in his younger days, real cocky and a whippet around the table, lived his life on the edge and paid in the end, will always be remembered - RIP.

• 1 month later...