You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rhone group in talks over 100mil takeover.

gingerhulk

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we can get some funds in so that Benitez can buy a top-class central midfielder (again), a top-class striker (again) and a top-class LB (again).

I think we probably need at least one wide attacking player too (again).

In all fairness, his record at centre mids is Mascherano, Sissoko, Alonso, your mate, Aquilani, which isn't too bad.

His strikers are Morientess, Kuyt, Bellamy, Crouch and Torres which isn't too bad.

Left back, nope got me on that one, our best left back in the last 25 years was Rob Jones a right back.

Not convinced we need too much money, maybe one big signing for morale, but you could swap Babel, Benny and Riera for Turan, Krasnic and Govou and make a profit. Maybe we shoudl realise that before we accept the first offer that comes along, I can easily see this group and Hicks being the dominant partners.

Isnt this perfectly timed with Simons RBS Letters, emails and boycott and the proposed black shirt and banners and more importantly The boycott of football games - west ham to start as a test etc.

This is all PR bollox to try and rock the mighty who wish these yank cunts out of our club permanently...

Guest The Chimp

They're Hick's mates aren't they? Cut from the same cloth? Involved with the Corinthian debarcle? Instead of being told by our supposed local paper that this might happen and that might happen, I'd rather see them pull their fingers out and actually do some investigative journalism - assess Rhone's board, their background, affiliations and partners and inform your readers. For once, just once, have the interests of the club which you make so much copy of, as your first, last and only focal point.

Edit: I said the same as you red4life69, but I just don't fucking know anymore.

Who actually think this will come off?

I'm not sure how much good it would do us if it did come off.

This Rhone group are a "Wealth management/investment" type group. Their remit on behalf of the people that put money into the funds they manage is to invest it in something and let the profit role in. Seems very strange that it has already been said that they wouldn't be investing loads more into the squad building required and that the other two Yanks have no money to invest.

Seems a very very big gamble on the building of a new stadium which could take upwards of four years to build.

So, in answer to your question - No, I don't think it will come off.

Whoever comes is in is only in it to make a profit, If they come in for £118.5m and then get the mortgage to start the stadium, in my eyes they will be no different from any of the others.

Time will tell though.

True, but what other ownership models are out there at the moment?

- Fan ownership

- Sugar daddy

... err that's it.

If the stadium gets built and starts producing a profit, we will only be bought by the wealthiest investors or the most indebted. At least in that situation we'd be dealing with a debt we might be able to afford, although it would be heartbreaking if the profits from the stadium did nothing other than clear debt for years (like Arsenal).

I'd like to see SOS and Share Liverpool getiing in touch with ANY prospective investors and asking for a pledge that they will only sell to responsible owners in the future who will not load debt onto the club in order to purchase shares, and that they will appoint a fans' representative onto the board as a full voting member from day one. That would not be legally enforceable, but would be a test of their intentions.

The skysports shit is from Hicks who unless he gets a bigger offer will have no choice, Believing Hicks on this is laughable.

Quite simply £118.5m for a 40% stake is a great deal for them. They will be able to borrow the money from a bank for the stadium as there credit rating is fine, with a bit of luck they take it over 25 years as to not damage funds being available for a new manager and once the stadium is built and the money coming in £118.5m for 40% of Liverpool seem's an absolute steal.

Only one way this wont happen is if some of the other phoney's offer more.

Sit back and let it unfold.

Have you been out home yet Al?

Or are you still on the booze?

Or have you taken leave of your senses?

Or go and google Rhone/Quicksilver

Guest Numero Veinticinco
i'm so rhone-ery, in 77 and 84 it was rhone, like a rhone-loan cowboy., my sha-rhone-a, not-nice rhone fuckers, rhona cameron loves clit, rhone rangers, rhone whine, rhones for you, we'll never walk a rhone, when in rhone...

*claps*

I'm not smart enough to come up with witty puns like that, so you're on your own.

See what I did there?

Peter Kilfoyle: Liverpool FC could face financial ruin without new owners

Mar 16 2010 by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Echo

OUTGOING Walton MP Peter Kilfoyle last night launched an attack on Liverpool FC’s current regime and said the club risked “going down the tubes” if its ownership does not change.

In a hard-hitting ECHO interview, Mr Kilfoyle, retiring after 19 years as MP representing Anfield:said there was no reason why Liverpool and other seemingly unsinkable clubs like Manchester Utd would not end up as “financial disasters” due to debt; said he had no idea who was in charge at Anfield;claimed Reds’ managing director Christian Purslow had told him three times he is there only to sell the club, not to run it.

Today he club did not confirm or deny Mr Purslow’s comments, but said it was “working round the clock to drive the business forward”.

Mr Kilfoyle told the ECHO: “It’s going to go down the tubes if it’s not careful. I’ve got no idea who runs the club since Rick Parry left.

“Christian Purslow is a managing director, he’s not the chief executive. As far as I’m aware, and what he has told me three times, is he is there to sell the club, not to run it.

“Running a football club is a hell of a lot different from being a banker, which is what he is. He is there to sell the club – that’s what he’s there for, that’s what he is employed to do.”

There has been renewed speculation in the last few days that the club may soon change hands. The Royal Bank of Scotland has stressed it wants to see a solution to the club’s £270m debt.

Yesterday the ECHO reported interest in a £110m investment from New York-based Rhone Group and Mr Kilfoyle said it was time for the current ownership to step aside.

“It’s all about culture, it’s about attitude. The Americans view football clubs as an asset to be bought and sold.

“They can wear all the scarves they like and go to matches until they’re blue in the face – even at Anfield – but what they can’t do, what they can’t get away from, is the basic financial facts, that they can’t carry on servicing these debts without taking on even more debts.”

He added: “I think Liverpool needs to get its ownership changed and sorted once and for all.

“I don’t believe that they any more than United can continue to carry the kind of debts they’re carrying. People say things will go on and on and advertising will keep going up and this, that and the other. This is nonsense.

“If we have learned anything from this banking crisis a couple of years ago, it’s that what you least expect is going to happen is round the corner.

“We’ve seen Portsmouth go into administration, West Ham are struggling on and off the pitch.

“There’s no reason why United and Liverpool can’t end up as financial disasters, no reason whatsoever.”

An LFC club spokesman said: “The management of Liverpool FC have great respect for Peter Kilfoyle and his record of public service in our local community. We also respect his passionate views as a football fan.

“He is right that there is a need for new investment into Liverpool FC and he should rest assured that the management are working round the clock to achieve this as well as trying to drive the business forward and, most importantly, support our management and players at this key time in the season.”

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - News - Liverpool Local News - Peter Kilfoyle: Liverpool FC could face financial ruin without new owners

Are we certain this is going to happen? Tony Barrett mentions the fact that RBS want £100m in July and the owners are under pressure but its also reported this this will be turned down, so they cant be that desperate, why have I got the feeling RBS will bottle it and refinance once again for another 12 months.