You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

The thing about signing Villa (in theory) is that we would have to play 4-4-2 or something like that which would mean Torres is less effective and Gerrard not being able to play the free role he has now which he is immense in.

It also means we would need to sign some proper wingers especially for the right, everyone knows Dirk is no good on the right of a 4-4-2 and neither is yossi really. Riera is ok maybe he's our only real winger.

It also means we won't have the assurance of two deep lying midfielder's to protect the back 4.

Having said that if we could get him I would be happy because he is a great player but there would be a lot to think about.

We definitely need a backup striker for Torres incase he has injury problems but I don't want to change the formation which is proven to work and what good striker is going to want to sit on the bench.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torres plays best on his own up front... wanting Villa will disrupt that.

Yes, Spain really suffered in the European Championships for having both Villa and Torres up front, didn't they?

Good to see your time away hasn't dampened your fondness for spouting utter shit!

Yes, Spain really suffered in the European Championships for having both Villa and Torres up front, didn't they?

Good to see your time away hasn't dampened your fondness for spouting utter shit!

Torres scored 2 goals and was not great in the euros. If we get villa it will help villa thrive but will limit torres and will also limit gerrard imo. We need a 442 option though and if we had money to make our 4231 how we want it i would take villa to give us 442 options

Aye, someone who can play right or left, and hopefully close to the level of Torres and Gerrard would make the real big difference. So then we’d have Kuyt, Babel and Riera battling for the other spot or back-up, we could play Kuyt, Babel, Ngog or Nemeth up front if we wanted to go 4-4-2, and it wouldn’t matter so much the drop off from Torres as we’d still have the threat from Gerrard and the new amazing guy.

I’d be tempted to flog Babel and Lucas and Dosenna if we got anything close to money back on them to help with the funding for someone like Ribery. Spearing can take Lucas’ spot, and even though Babel should be better than Kuyt and Riera I think he’d be disposable. I’m not sure if Silva is quite at that top world class level though, even though I’d like him more than Villa.

I think we need more footballers in the alst third, honestly.

That is the only thing that we lack imo.

Villa and even more so Silva are the kind of players we need, however two things tell me we may not be going for them: lack of cash; Rafa's reluctance to go for big names.

(The last one is a hunch I have) I think he enjoys going for slightly lesser known players than the flavours of the current month.

Aye, someone who can play right or left, and hopefully close to the level of Torres and Gerrard would make the real big difference. So then we’d have Kuyt, Babel and Riera battling for the other spot or back-up, we could play Kuyt, Babel, Ngog or Nemeth up front if we wanted to go 4-4-2

Don't forget Yossi, who has been superb since January.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/03/26/david-silva-is-liverpool-fc-transfer-target-100252-23238037/

David Silva is Liverpool FC transfer target

Mar 26 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

1 2 next »

David Silva

RAFA BENITEZ is weighing up a summer swoop for Spanish star David Silva.

The Reds boss has identified the Valencia man as one of his top transfer targets – but will only do business if the price is right.

Valencia have hit massive financial difficulties in recent months and are set to sell crown jewels Silva, David Villa and Raul Albiol in an effort to bring their debt of 450m euros under control.

It is Silva who has caught Benitez’s eye though, with the Liverpool manager on the lookout for a versatile attacking player who can figure in a number of positions behind Fernando Torres as he looks to add strength in depth to his squad.

The 23-year-old certainly fits that bill and Liverpool have already made tentative enquiries about his availability.

They will only follow up their initial interest if Valencia are realistic about their valuation of a player who has won 21 caps for Spain.

Reports in Spain suggest the La Liga outfit are holding out for a fee in the region of £25m for Silva and with Barcelona and Juventus also both believed to be interested in snapping him up the battle for his services could be hard fought.

Liverpool are unlikely to be willing to pay that kind of asking price but Benitez will move fast it a compromise deal can be struck.

Reds chief scout Eduardo Macia – who took Silva to Valencia when the attacking midfielder was a teenager – was recently dispatched to Spain to check on Silva’s availability and was not discouraged by what he learned.

Silva was one of the stars of Spain’s victory at Euro 2008, operating in a left sided attacking role which allowed him to support Torres and Villa at every opportunity.

An ankle injury has stopped him from making as many appearances as would have been expected for Valencia this season.

But the midfielder returned to action in January and is currently training with the Spanish national squad ahead of this weekend’s World Cup qualifier against Turkey in Madrid.

Meanwhile, Javier Mascherano believes he is getting back to his best after struggling to reach top form earlier in the season.He said: “I think in the last two months I have been getting better and should be back to my best soon.”

Right "level" of player that we should be targetting, but I have never been 100% convinced by him. Admittedly, I don't watch much Spanish football though.

He is a good player but i just think he's too lightweight. But he's a rafa type player in that he can play WELL in more than one position.

Right "level" of player that we should be targetting, but I have never been 100% convinced by him. Admittedly, I don't watch much Spanish football though.

To be honest before the Euro's I'd have said the same, but he was outstanding. Also Robinho has convinced me he'll have an impact. Whatever faults Robinho has my biggest fear for him was not being able to handle the physical side of it. They were completely unfounded and gives me hope that with Silva if he has a better attitude would flourish.

Lets hope we can afford him.

I just want us to go for someone that can beat a man regularly and to me that's not silva. He's got a good shot on him though and very good first touch and eye for a threaded pass. But his crossing doesn't seem that great. He'd be a good backup to gerrard though as he can play behind the main striker.

Guest simon

He was in Turin yesterday, so if some of the big Italian clubs are after him we got no chance because we cant compete money wise.