You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

I don't think Hicks is broke, though I think Gillette is.

The reason he cannot invest more is because of their agreement that both are 50/50 owners. If Hicks invests more, Gillette's shares will be diluted, and I am sure I read somewhere there is a no dilution clause in their partnership.

Otherwise it will be foolish for Hicks to take a loan and pay for the stadium, and Gillette gets the benefit for free.

At the end of the day, the dispute between the two is a financial one.

I think by himself, Hicks can support a loan to build the stadium and a decent transfer budget each season. This is the best franchise he has, and he knows it. I read he might even sell one of his other franchises to support our club.

Now I am not a supporter of Hicks. But all the blame placed on him, ended up was masterminded by Gillette (ie Klinsmann). No doubt Hicks was ignorant to football in general, and our club and history in particular, but he's not a stupid man.

I suspect if fully in control, he'll do a decent enough job, like the Glaziers at United. We won't be a fantasy football club like Chelsea was and City is now, but decent enough budget to compete with the Mancs for top of the line players.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All guess work Benitaur - he was and is a disaster at the Dallas Stars and the fans hate him with a passion - even have a pressure group set up.

His last foray in football with Corinthians was also a disaster and nearly made them fold. He is not a stupid man, he is a cunt and even worse one than Gillett if you read how Gillett fans at the Canadiens view him.

Every year we have stories of being broke and not being able to afford anyone yet we still manage to spend close to the magical £20m. Regardless of how our esteemed owners manage between now and then I believe this summer will be no different aside from possibly Rafa ridding of babel and other such hangers on.

All guess work Benitaur - he was and is a disaster at the Dallas Stars and the fans hate him with a passion - even have a pressure group set up.

His last foray in football with Corinthians was also a disaster and nearly made them fold. He is not a stupid man, he is a cunt and even worse one than Gillett if you read how Gillett fans at the Canadiens view him.

All pure guesswork from you too. I'm not going to back Hicks because Iknow someone who works very close with him. I will say that he is firmly behind Rafa (i'm not sure thats a god thing tbh) and he believes he can make Liverpool as profitable as Salford. Good for him & good for us. I'm hoping he follows my advice and revisist the option of expanding Anfield.

All pure guesswork from you too. I'm not going to back Hicks because Iknow someone who works very close with him. I will say that he is firmly behind Rafa (i'm not sure thats a god thing tbh) and he believes he can make Liverpool as profitable as Salford. Good for him & good for us. I'm hoping he follows my advice and revisist the option of expanding Anfield.

Pressure Group of "Hicks Out", and nearly bankrupting Corinthians are not guess work, they are facts. What makes you think our Tom Hicks is different from the Tom Hicks who is hated in Texas and was hated at Corinthians?

Pressure Group of "Hicks Out", and nearly bankrupting Corinthians are not guess work, they are facts. What makes you think our Tom Hicks is different from the Tom Hicks who is hated in Texas and was hated at Corinthians?

He's the same Tom Hicks but there are always different circumstancs. Different agenda's, different motives and different possibilities. I'm not sticking up for Hicks, but right now he is possibly the biggest integral part of the developemnt of the football club (good or bad)

getting villa will mean we can play 442 without torres but i think our best formation is 4231 and i dont really like the look of villa and torres together as it takes away too much from torres's game. However that might be a good thing in a strange way as Torres only seems able to play up top on his own making it hard to get a top back up to sit on the bench and even harder to get other striking options after that.

I think there are better options out there but i obviously wouldnt complain if he joined but i just feel we need wingers and the villa signing would be going for names rather than the right player.

Silva looks lightweight, would not be happy with him.

Aguero and Ribery are the sort of players i would like to see arriving but i expect to see players like barry, valencia and johnson

Torres plays best on his own up front... wanting Villa will disrupt that. We need wingers and full backs, nothing else.

yeah and when he's suffering with injuries we can just think about next season rather than have another class option

I don't understand this 'detracting from Torres' argument at all, who cares if it means he scores less goals if overall it means we score more and have a better chance of winning more games? 15 + 20 is better than 25.

I don't understand this 'detracting from Torres' argument at all, who cares if it means he scores less goals if overall it means we score more and have a better chance of winning more games? 15 + 20 is better than 25.

Exactly, but this seems lost on a lot of people.

Exactly, but this seems lost on a lot of people.

2 sides to it and i take your point but i dont see how limiting torres's effectiveness is good for anyone especially considering we need 2 new flanks with the exception of the lb slot imo.

If you watch Torres and Villa together torres suffers and prem defenders cannot cope with torres on form.

I think we need to learn from our mistake in trying to break up the torres and gerrard partnership.

If we had serious money and he was willing to have some bench time theni would take him but i would take quite a few players over villa at the moment.

2 sides to it and i take your point but i dont see how limiting torres's effectiveness is good for anyone especially considering we need 2 new flanks with the exception of the lb slot imo.

If you watch Torres and Villa together torres suffers and prem defenders cannot cope with torres on form.

I think we need to learn from our mistake in trying to break up the torres and gerrard partnership.

If we had serious money and he was willing to have some bench time theni would take him but i would take quite a few players over villa at the moment.

Ribery for that right hand side slot that Kuyt fills is the one that I would most like to see, I think he would transform our team instantly wthout buying any others.

Man City in talks to sign striker Villa Print Email+ Share+ 12/03/2009 - 09:24:04

Valencia vice-president Fernando Gomez has confirmed they have held talks with Manchester City regarding the possible transfer of star striker David Villa to the Premier League side.

Valencia are in deep financial trouble and admitted for the first time last week that they may need to cash in on some of their prized assets in a bid to ease their problems.

Spain international Villa, who is arguably the club’s most valuable player, penned a six-year contract with Valencia only last August, tying the 27-year-old to Los Che until 2014, but it now seems the Primera Liga outfit are resigning themselves to him leaving.

When asked if he could confirm that Valencia chiefs had met with two representatives from Manchester City regarding the sale of Villa, Gomez said: “Yes, it’s true but they didn’t make us an any offer.

“The president (Vicente Soriano) asked for a significant amount and they didn’t agree.”

Gomez did not reveal in the interview on Spanish radio what price tag they had put on Villa and his fellow Spain star David Silva, but insisted they would not be short-changed for either player.

“I think they are two very important players, with a lot of quality and, if we sell them, we are not going to sell them on the cheap,” said Gomez.

He added: “I would like them both to stay. But we cannot discard anything and any of them (the players) could leave at the end of the season.”

Fernando Torres?

A one-off who they only paid for after the manager went public and embarrassed them into action.

The only cash we'll spend is the cash from sales. If we're very lucky we might get the Keane cash but I'm not holding my breath.