You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I remember reading years ago that Harrison Ford was extremely unhappy after the original Blade Runner film as there is apparently mention in the film of a certain number of replicants and one less is actually featured in the film. This led to a lot of rumours that Deckard is a replicant and Ford was upset that if this was the case, he may have played the part differently. How true this is I don't know but if he was unhappy I would imagine the only way he would have got involved with the new one is that this would be clarified.

The rumours could also be bullshit of course.

Yep. I remember reading an interview with another musician or actor (I can’t remember who) who was a huge Blade Runner fan and when they met Ford, they immediately tried to speak to him about it (above Indiana Jones and Star Wars) and he was completely dismissive about the film, said he didn’t like it, regretted being part of it and didn’t want to talk about it!

Managed to wangle working from home today so I’ll stick the original on later & taken a half day next Friday afternoon.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading years ago that Harrison Ford was extremely unhappy after the original Blade Runner film as there is apparently mention in the film of a certain number of replicants and one less is actually featured in the film. This led to a lot of rumours that Deckard is a replicant and Ford was upset that if this was the case, he may have played the part differently. How true this is I don't know but if he was unhappy I would imagine the only way he would have got involved with the new one is that this would be clarified.

The rumours could also be bullshit of course.

I think they admitted that was just a mistake. 

Not sure how they can portray Deckard as a replicant if Harrison Ford is playing Deckard? Do replicants age? 

It looks spectacular - Independent and Guardian both given it 5 stars. 

It's been universally lauded in the reviews today. I was skeptical as hell when i heard this was coming out, as the original is by far my favourite film of all time, but i'm stoked now. I've been stoked for a while, the recent animated "prequel" was glorious.  

Same here! 

Unless by 'stoked' you mean mocking Harvey and fighting? 

It's been universally lauded in the reviews today. I was skeptical as hell when i heard this was coming out, as the original is by far my favourite film of all time, but i'm stoked now. I've been stoked for a while, the recent animated "prequel" was glorious.

Not heard of that prequel until reading this sixteen minutes ago. Now watched it. It’s boss.

Not a huge Bladerunner fan tbh, mostly style over substance imho, but surely the director's cut clearly established that Deckert IS a replicant ?

Paper unicorns aand all that ?

I got the box set from about 10 years ago with the original releases (International was different from US), Directors Cut & Final Cut. Anyway, I watched the original International Cut today and even going back to 1982, it’s fairly heavily hinted Deckard is a replicant.

Fords weird voice when he tries to impersonate an Inspector when following up the snake sample is worse than his Scottish accident in The Last Crusade.

Not a huge Bladerunner fan tbh, mostly style over substance imho, but surely the director's cut clearly established that Deckert IS a replicant ?

Paper unicorns aand all that ?

From The Blade Cuts, an interview with Ridley Scott:

Scott: ...did you see the version [of the script] with the unicorn? McKenzie: No... Scott: I think the idea of the unicorn was a terrific idea... McKenzie: The obvious inference is that Deckard is a replicant himself. Scott: Sure. To me it's entirely logical, particularly when you are doing a film noire, you may as well go right through with that theme, and the central character could in fact be what he is chasing... McKenzie: Did you actually shoot the sequence in the glade with the unicorn? Scott: Absolutely. It was cut into the picture, and I think it worked wonderfully. Deckard was sitting, playing the piano rather badly because he was drunk, and there's a moment where he gets absorbed and goes off a little at a tangent and we went into the shot of the unicorn plunging out of the forest. It's not subliminal, but it's a brief shot. Cut back to Deckard and there's absolutely no reaction to that, and he just carries on with the scene. That's where the whole idea of the character of Gaff with his origami figures -- the chicken and the little stick-figure man, so the origami figure of the unicorn tells you that Gaff has been there. One of the layers of the film has been talking about private thoughts and memories, so how would Gaff have known that a private thought of Deckard was of a unicorn? That's why Deckard shook his head like that [referring to Deckard nodding his head after picking up the paper unicorn].
Scott goes on to talk about how he decided to make the photograph of the little girl with her mother come alive for a second, then later in the interview we have:

McKenzie: Are you disappointed that the references to Deckard being a replicant are no longer there? Scott: The innuendo is still there. The French get it immediately! I think it's interesting that he could be.