You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Finnan - end is nigh?

Red Mist

What should we do with Finnan?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Finnan?

• Keep him as 1st choice next season
    • Bring in a quality right back, keep Finnan as a squad player
    • Get rid completely, cash in on him (if we can)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Finnan is increasingly showing his age this season. He's looking slower and sloppier in possession, and no longer do we see him dashing down the right wing delivering decent crosses. I say next season we need a top class right back in as a replacement.

What say you?

Don't think he's showing his age at all.

Carra and Hyppia have been dodgy at times this season (perhaps because they've had to play in practically every game), but he's been his usual consistent self.

I'd spend money on left back, the wings and up front long before looking to bring in a new right back.

Finnan's class. He hasn't been as consistent as in the past but he's had a couple of injuries and also been rotated a couple of times which I don't think has helped.

He's still a quality player, and replacing him is way down the list of priorities - i.e. it doesn't have much to do with Finnan that we can't break shite teams down at home.

I think retiring from international stuff will give him a new lease of life for one or two more seasons. The modern fullback is a harder position to play these days, especially if you want them to offer an attacking threat/support too.

I'd not be upset if someone like an Alves came in, but I agree with others who have said that replacing Finnan is down the list of priorities.

It might be that in the future Insua will be a smashing left back and Finnan's replacement, Arbeloa, is already here.

Guest Havant and Wart

i've never been a big fan, sorry lads. he's a steady player but nothing special. the way you set up is crying out for a really good attacking full back.

when's the last time a winger got the better of him in a whole match, i cant remember him being roasted as they say, ever. Yes he isn't playing that well at the moment but a run of games and he'l soon come good again, but that said our full back area in general could do with a sever injection of pace.

i've never been a big fan, sorry lads. he's a steady player but nothing special. the way you set up is crying out for a really good attacking full back.

Rafa was on the verge of signing Daniel Alves a couple of years back (if I'm not mistaken for around £10-12M). The deal wasn't done and Alves went on to become a £20M player and probably the best attacking fullback in world football right now.

I think Rafa knows we need a great attacking fullback too, but getting someone who will improve us is hard to do, and people who watch Finnan week in week out think he's doing alright.

I think Finnan’s another victim of rotation as I don’t think it helps his fitness and sharpness being in and out of the side. I reckon he needs a run of games to get match fit.

I’ve often felt he’s had slow starts to a season and then improved a few weeks into the season but this season he’s not had a consistent run and his form’s suffered.

If you look at Hyppia, when he first came back into the side when Agger got injured he looked rusty and a lot of fans (myself included) felt that his time was up. But since he’s had a decent run in the team, he’s looked a lot fitter and sharper and has arguably been one of our most consistent performers for the last couple of months.

I know Finnan was very poor on Saturday and has not looked that sharp this season, but those who are writing him off just need to remember that he’s been one of our most consistent players in the last 3 years and a few bad games doesn’t mean he’s finished yet.

I think Finnan’s another victim of rotation as I don’t think it helps his fitness and sharpness being in and out of the side. I reckon he needs a run of games to get match fit.

I’ve often felt he’s had slow starts to a season and then improved a few weeks into the season but this season he’s not had a consistent run and his form’s suffered.

If you look at Hyppia, when he first came back into the side when Agger got injured he looked rusty and a lot of fans (myself included) felt that his time was up. But since he’s had a decent run in the team, he’s looked a lot fitter and sharper and has arguably been one of our most consistent performers for the last couple of months.

I know Finnan was very poor on Saturday and has not looked that sharp this season, but those who are writing him off just need to remember that he’s been one of our most consistent players in the last 3 years and a few bad games doesn’t mean he’s finished yet.

We seem to have quite a list of players who have fallen victom to this rotation thing Rob

Guest PaddyBerger15

I think Arbeloa will be the successor to Finnan at RB anyway, it looks his best position to me. He can do a job at LB, but he is better on the right.

Finnan has about one or two seasons left in him after this. At most.

Left back and Right back need a top quality target brought in...

Rotation isn't Finnan's problem. He's been fighting injury all season... so has Aurelio(shocker) and Arbeloa. It's just down to who is available most of the time.

Spot on mate, and I totally agree.

back of the net