You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Sun 7th Apr 2024 (3:30pm)

3 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

That excludes 3 cup games, of which we have lost 2 and drawn 1. Also while it's not bad if we say had that sort of record at White Hart Lane against Spurs who have been finishing in positions not that far off United's during the period of time people would exactly be beaming with joy?

I think there is far too much of an acceptance along the lines of it's a tough place to go, we never do well there etc. without there being a more systematic approach from the club looking into our preparations for the games themselves.

Klopp in my view seems to view United and Everton far more like any other league game (as can be seen from consistent rotation of the squad in advance of those fixtures), this seems to result in a degree of success at home but for whatever reason results in quite poor returns at Goodison and Old Trafford during a period where a lot of the time we have been demonstrably the better side.

Or if you expand to 11, its 3 wins or 13 points in 11 games... after smash and grabs in the early 2000s we tend to win at OT when we are in a title race or considerably better.

I'd say it's difficult to analyze in isolation of all other factors. It's a special game for both teams, it's hard to come up with the solution, when heads tend to go that often, in a highly charged atmosphere.

10 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

That excludes 3 cup games, of which we have lost 2 and drawn 1. Also while it's not bad if we say had that sort of record at White Hart Lane against Spurs who have been finishing in positions not that far off United's during the period of time people would exactly be beaming with joy?

I think there is far too much of an acceptance along the lines of it's a tough place to go, we never do well there etc. without there being a more systematic approach from the club looking into our preparations for the games themselves.

Klopp in my view seems to view United and Everton far more like any other league game (as can be seen from consistent rotation of the squad in advance of those fixtures), this seems to result in a degree of success at home but for whatever reason results in quite poor returns at Goodison and Old Trafford during a period where a lot of the time we have been demonstrably the better side.

What sort of things would you suggest they do ahead of a trip to Old Trafford or Goodison?

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

What sort of things would you suggest they do ahead of a trip to Old Trafford or Goodison?

I don't know?

Physical prep ala- Diet?, Sugar levels?, Oxygen saturations? Testostorone levels :0)?

Psychological conditioning?

Hire a gang of rabid orcs in rubbish attire in a temporary stand in the week leading up to the games to shout abuse at the players non-stop?

Play the Stone Roses and nick knack paddywack really loudly?

Fuck knows, maybe try and have a look at what teams who have broken bad runs at particular away grounds did? Gather testimonies of things that went right at the games where we did beat them? (pity they can't interview Ged)

23 hours ago, lebron said:

Been confident all week. Now I’m bricking it. These games are horrible, especially at Old Trafford.

As others I fully expect us to be shafted by the officials (again). There will be 3-4 contentious decisions which will all go against us, and Taylor will punish our first real foul with a yellow card. I can see Bradley getting an early card in a tussle with Rashford early on.

I’ve been thinking we will be beating these with ease all 3 encounters, but their biggest weakness (letting teams get lots of chances against them) isn’t something we’ve been able to exploit, as we’ve been incredibly wasteful and (shockingly) their keeper looking just about competent.

Hopfully that ends today, if we finish off our first couple of chances they are in for a mauling (yes, I still believe this). Should we be as profligate as we’ve been, they might sneak a result this time too.

Bradley was 9/1 to get carded first…

Followed the same pattern of previous encounters. They give up huge chances, and we don’t take them. Glad we got a point in the end. Such a travesty that we’re so incredibly poor at finishing (and at making the right choice).

I went yesterday. Can’t lie, it felt like a defeat. It doesn’t feel much better today.

Finishing aside, I’m going to look at the positives. Apart from his mistake, Quansah was really good. Unfortunately he gave the ball away to the 1 player on their side capable of scoring from that position.

Mac Allister was absolutely outstanding. 

Apart from the finishing, our performance was really good. In the 26 years since I first saw us there, that’s one of the best I’ve ever seen us play there. 

Play like that in the remaining 7 games and IMO, we’ll take 21 points. 

• Upvote 4

Undoubtedly Quansah's mistake was the pivotal moment.  Yes we wasted extremely good opportunities throughout but we do that every match, that's us, that's the standard of our forwards.  But a mistake like that when you're on top, in front and looking to build on it is a big blow and it cost us the win imo.  But I don't have any ill feelings towards Quansah about it, he's a young lad still learning and generally doing a brilliant job of it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moo said:

Undoubtedly Quansah's mistake was the pivotal moment.  Yes we wasted extremely good opportunities throughout but we do that every match, that's us, that's the standard of our forwards.  But a mistake like that when you're on top, in front and looking to build on it is a big blow and it cost us the win imo.  But I don't have any ill feelings towards Quansah about it, he's a young lad still learning and generally doing a brilliant job of it.

Agree, nothing against the lad, even Virgil & Ali made that mistake against Arsenal and they are vastly experienced compared to young Quansah. 

But the mistake came at the most awful time possible, when the scum did not have a clue on how to get back the ball from us, never mind how to get back into the game. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

As bad as our finishing often is, I’m not having that this was a normal day at the office for our collective attacking unit, Mo, Darwin, Sczobo, Robbo, Bradley and Diaz (in that order).

They squandered countless opportunities, and for a professional footballer to not hit the target when presented with the ball like Salah was on that rebound is beyond shameful. He just had one of those days that he seems to be having more and more of.

We shit the bed when we play them, especially at OT. We rightfully pat ourselves on the back with how we and Anfield influence the opposition badly. Seems our players aren’t immune to that type of influence and pressure either…

46 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

I don't know?

Physical prep ala- Diet?, Sugar levels?, Oxygen saturations? Testostorone levels :0)?

Psychological conditioning?

Hire a gang of rabid orcs in rubbish attire in a temporary stand in the week leading up to the games to shout abuse at the players non-stop?

Play the Stone Roses and nick knack paddywack really loudly?

Fuck knows, maybe try and have a look at what teams who have broken bad runs at particular away grounds did? Gather testimonies of things that went right at the games where we did beat them? (pity they can't interview Ged)

Or this

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Well, we've scored 114, but VAR cunts decided not to tell the referee about one of them.

(Yes. I am still angry.)

For a side that scores so many goals, we are infuriatingly wasteful at times. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I went yesterday. Can’t lie, it felt like a defeat. It doesn’t feel much better today.

Finishing aside, I’m going to look at the positives. Apart from his mistake, Quansah was really good. Unfortunately he gave the ball away to the 1 player on their side capable of scoring from that position.

Mac Allister was absolutely outstanding. 

Apart from the finishing, our performance was really good. In the 26 years since I first saw us there, that’s one of the best I’ve ever seen us play there. 

Play like that in the remaining 7 games and IMO, we’ll take 21 points. 

Which will make us lose the title on goal difference. Caused by not beating a horrendous United team.

1 minute ago, Judge said:

Which will make us lose the title on goal difference. Caused by not beating a horrendous United team.

Could you not find your tampons yesterday?