You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) - Sun 13th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Good game by two good sides. There I said it. I really liked how both teams quickly looked for the first pass forward. It marks a change in football, recognising that those fast passes are worth more than balancing things out sideways. It's also typical of both coaches to strive for a energic set-up (hence all the young Chelsea players).

The difference was that Pochettino had a more strategic approach - switching from 4-4-2 when defending to 5-2-3 with wingbacks in attack. Chilwell was probably the player making the most movement in the formation, from left inner mid to left wing back. This tactic, when it clicked after 20 minutes, gave Chelsea the upper hand.

Chilwell really disturbed Trent, as he came on from all over the place, and offered Chelsea a outpost for longballs when they tired of haggling through the right side.

We didn't have that outpost in our game, and could not cope with the tempo for the 90 mins.

Konate and Mac Allister the MOTM:s for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

IF and it's a big if we got Caciedo or Lavia we would imo still need a LCB if we're gonna persist with this tactic / formation to raise the extra cash needed and based on the last 12 months would you sacrifice Salah to get the cash? Just a question I'd prefer Salah to get his form of 2 years ago back personally.

Absolutely not. Salah went missing after his disallowed goal sure but none of the forwards got any service from open play after that except Darwin late on from a mishit pass by Mac Allister who was otherwise very good today. If we sell Salah we’d need to buy a forward to replace him plus the 2-3 players we already need.

Just now, Strontium said:

If we're talking about things that didn't work, then Gakpo in midfield is high on that list for me. We shouldn't be shoehorning square pegs into round holes this early in the season.

The whole nature of the starting 11 was antithetical to the way we played. I think Klopp was thinking that we'll let them have the ball but then if we win it in a good area, we have loads of attacking players on the pitch to take advantage. 

I don't think Gakpo there is something we'll see often, it was something for today when we don't have the players and signing(s) to play a normal midfield with a holding player.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The whole nature of the starting 11 was antithetical to the way we played. I think Klopp was thinking that we'll let them have the ball but then if we win it in a good area, we have loads of attacking players on the pitch to take advantage. 

I don't think Gakpo there is something we'll see often, it was something for today when we don't have the players and signing(s) to play a normal midfield with a holding player.

You can take your Jackson poster down now. He's shite, just a lump of a man.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MilanJovanovic said:

Good game by two good sides. There I said it. I really liked how both teams quickly looked for the first pass forward. It marks a change in football, recognising that those fast passes are worth more than balancing things out sideways. It's also typical of both coaches to strive for a energic set-up (hence all the young Chelsea players).

The difference was that Pochettino had a more strategic approach - switching from 4-4-2 when defending to 5-2-3 with wingbacks in attack. Chilwell was probably the player making the most movement in the formation, from left inner mid to left wing back. This tactic, when it clicked after 20 minutes, gave Chelsea the upper hand.

Chilwell really disturbed Trent, as he came on from all over the place, and offered Chelsea a outpost for longballs when they tired of haggling through the right side.

We didn't have that outpost in our game, and could not cope with the tempo for the 90 mins.

Konate and Mac Allister the MOTM:s for me.

two good sides haha

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

repped for vanilla slice

Just chill out its only the first game of pre season.

Its only the second, third, fourth etc

Chill out the season hasn't even kicked off yet.

Chill out its only the first game of the season.

Chill out the transfer window hasn't opened yet.

Its only June, chill out.

Its only July chill out theres weeks left

And on and on and on and on...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

That finish was a lot more scuffed than I thought, not as cross with Ali.

From watching the replays at the time, I gained the impression Alisson would have saved it had the Chelsea player caught it properly rather than completely scuffing it. 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

At least it's an actual attempt at analysis unlike your constant cartoonishly negative one-liners.

Do you really think anyone gives a duck about what some kid thinks who pretends to watch every league in the world and hasn’t even got a set of balls?

14 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I’m sensing…you’re not chilled out.

30 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

That poem is beautiful, man. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Last season we started with a point away from home - that to me felt like a terrible result and an awful start.

This today does not. It is for me a 'take it' result and one of our worst away trips out the way.

Yes we have issues, yes we all know what they are - but I am 100% convinced we will bring in what we need to help us fix them and we'll be better than we were last season.

32 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The thing about being satirical - you need to be coherent.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Last season we started with a point away from home - that to me felt like a terrible result and an awful start.

This today does not. It is for me a 'take it' result and one of our worst away trips out the way.

Yes we have issues, yes we all know what they are - but I am 100% convinced we will bring in what we need to help us fix them and we'll be better than we were last season.

For me it felt pretty much the same as last year..up against a team there for the taking and we were just way too easy to play against. We probably created similar in both games, but we were even more open today than a year ago. 

I don't really know what to take positive from today. Mac was ok, but as soon as we stopped pressing after 5 mins he was over run. Nobody had a genuinely good game and we were completely disjointed. Every negative that was there last season was still there to see today. 

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Genuinely perplexed how we didn't get a peno in the second half. The player sees the ball all the way from the corner. Last season, or against us, it's a penalty. VAR stinks.

Watch loads like that get given.

Read earlier was one very similar in German charity shield yesterday and was given....