You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good is our squad as of August 7?

lebron

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Kelleher

Gomez

Matip

Tsimikas 

Jones

Thiago*

Elliott

Nunez

Doak

*If fit

Has he even trained yet?

Obviously hasn't played a single minute in pre season or made a squad.....not sure if been in proper team training - but would find it very strange if a player who is extremely injury prone and who last played any football at all in April - and last played 90 mins in January was in the squad on opening day....especially under Klopp.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Kelleher

Gomez

Matip

Tsimikas 

Jones

Thiago*

Elliott

Nunez

Doak

*If fit

That will have much more proven quality than Chelsea’s bench.

I’ve said a few times, although I fully agree we need more, we shouldn’t forget what we have. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/08/2023 at 18:40, lebron said:

A lot of panic regarding our lack of transfers… There seems to be a certainty around how every contender needs to have two great players for each position. This is especially true since Chelsea and City distorted the transfer market. It’s also connected to teams fighting on several fronts, especially for those having teams that go deep in league, cups and CL. So how do we stack up in that respect?

I’d say this is our probable starting 11 for Chelsea:

——————-Allison————--

Trent—Konate—VVD—Robbo

—Jones—-McAllister—-Szobo—

—-Salah—-Gakpo———Diaz—

That leaves a 2nd team like this:

—————-Kelleher——————

Ramsay—Gomez-Matip—Tsimikas

—Elliott—-Bajcetic——-Thiago—-

—Doak——-Jota———Nunez—

Is the situation really that grim? I would say Matip and Ramsay (or Bradley) would have trouble playing extended periods for us, and Doak is of course raw. Other than that there’s quality all over the park. I rate Gomez a bit more than most on here I suppose, but unless he’s gone (or Matip) I doubt we will see another high profile CB brought in. 

The biggest thing for me is getting rid of the deadwood from last season. Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Ox. Slow and sluggish midfielders aren’t really much kop in a Klopp system. I’m excited about the energy being displayed by our midfield, and how comfortable the midfielders look on the ball. We’ve bettered our ball retention possibilities by about 100 per cent. 

I’m actually pretty optimistic about our chances this season, even without the possible additions of other players. I might have thought differently if we were in the CL, but we should have more than enough to put up a proper fight in the league. I’m also OK with sacrificing the domestic cups to get in amongst the big boys in the league this season. Play a mix of youth and experience in the earlier EL rounds, and assess the league position when the knockout stages start.

Finally slightly looking forward to football again, even with the huge backdrops of negativity that are City/PSG and the Saudis and the general greed and insane money that threaten to consume the game completely.

Apart from the forwards, that 2nd 11 terrifies me. Absolutely stacked with perma-injured players who we absolutely cannot rely on to be available. We need another centre back, central midfielder, and a right back at minimum. 

Defensively, I am extremely worried. The TAA Project is not going to help us limit goals conceded - indeed it may exacerbate the situation. If we can challenge for the Champions League, I’ll be pretty pleased, but can we match West Ham’s Europa result? Time will tell.

11 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Defensively, I am extremely worried. The TAA Project is not going to help us limit goals conceded - indeed it may exacerbate the situation. If we can challenge for the Champions League, I’ll be pretty pleased, but can we match West Ham’s Europa result? Time will tell.

We'd walk the uefa conference - but hope we don't end up in it.