You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Klopp "There's nothing to talk about from our point of view, we don't have an offer, Mo Salah is a Liverpool player....there's nothing there, if their would be something the answer would be no".

We didn't have an offer for either fab or Henderson for some time. They clearly win the player over before considering a fee. 

Konate with a muscle issue. We have several defenders to cover which and Klopp name checks Quansah as an option. He’d be better going on loan. The reason Konates got a muscle issue is because he is doing the work of two men. It’s like the midfield all over again.

Matip is injury prone, Gomez not been good for a few seasons. Konate is prone to a niggle. Virgil is getting older. We desperately need a new centre back . But no, we’ve got enough. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Konate with a muscle issue. We have several defenders to cover which and Klopp name checks Quansah as an option. He’d be better going on loan. The reason Konates got a muscle issue is because he is doing the work of two men. It’s like the midfield all over again.

Matip is injury prone, Gomez not been good for a few seasons. Konate is prone to a niggle. Virgil is getting older. We desperately need a new centre back . But no, we’ve got enough. 

Right now, we need a centre back much more than another midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Right now, we need a centre back much more than another midfielder. 

The same old discussion though isn't it and you end up relieved with a shit loan late in the window. Both positions need work. Same as forwards and midfielders needed doing last year. It shouldn't need to be one or the other, we are not the paupers FSG make us out to be. We've lost loads of players over the summer, cleared tons off the wage bill and yet here we are. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

The same old discussion though isn't it and you end up relieved with a shit loan late in the window. Both positions need work. Same as forwards and midfielders needed doing last year. It shouldn't need to be one or the other, we are not the paupers FSG make us out to be. We've lost loads of players over the summer, cleared tons off the wage bill and yet here we are. 

Yeah, same old stuff. 

I've a slightly different view on midfield to most though. I think three new players who could well be our starting three in most games is enough to bed in for now. We should have enough in reserve with Bozza, Jones, Elliott and Thiago, and we also have the Trent option. Have a look again in a few months time to see if we need another 6 or 8 in there depending on how they fare. 

Madness not to be adding another body in defence, though. 

On the bright side, not being successful in signing Mason Mount could well be one of our better summer developments. 

• Upvote 1

Sell Mo play Dom on right and Darwin up front in middle ? 

Not sure that replaces 15 to 20 goals a season to be honest . 

I am meh over the whole thing wants to go let him go . If he stays I am 100% sure he will be fully committed . Always liked his attitude on the pitch even when he subbed .  I have a real bad feeling FSG wondering when the Saudi splurge going to end  would they be prepared to wait until next year to cash in  at probably 100m versus what 150m now. At those figures from a footballing perspective it's a no brainer to keep him  from financial perspective I am sure the bean counters have a different opinion . Europa league / stadium revenue / his current wages etc etc etc 

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, same old stuff. 

I've a slightly different view on midfield to most though. I think three new players who could well be our starting three in most games is enough to bed in for now. We should have enough in reserve with Bozza, Jones, Elliott and Thiago, and we also have the Trent option. Have a look again in a few months time to see if we need another 6 or 8 in there depending on how they fare. 

Madness not to be adding another body in defence, though. 

On the bright side, not being successful in signing Mason Mount could well be one of our better summer developments. 

Fair enough. I don't agree from a midfield position. There's no point counting thiago as he'll never be there when you need him. Jones is shaping up the same way really. Bajcetic we have no idea, he's tested his body once at this level and it gave up. So it's the 3 signings and Elliot for me - plus more square pegs in round holes weakening other positions. Trent can't be classed as a backup to anyone, he plays every game he's fit and has a unique role. I think we're are 2 short in midfield. 

And in defence I feel the same about konate, matip and Gomez as I do about Jones and thiago. They can't be relied  upon. That's before we talk about the levels of matip and Gomez and the lack of a backup Trent, whatever position we want to call that. 

The whole thing is us being sold short again and again and expectations chipped away at and lowered every day so we end up grateful for the tiniest of scraps. 

34 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Nah, Quansah's probably going to get a chance in the cup/europe this season. Audition to be part of the squad proper next season (should be as the #5 not #4 option though). 

Still, we should be getting another in this season.

38 minutes ago, Freddo said:

The reason Konates got a muscle issue is because he is doing the work of two men. 

That's why I hope the Trent 'experiment' is soon over. It's had some positive effects but, as you say, it's also left the covering CB chronically knackered and, ludicrously, it's turned Robbo from one of the best left backs in the game into a 'problem'. Move Trent into midfield and leave him there or revert to him as RB, otherwise Konate or whomever else plays there will be a recurrent fitness issue.

As for Klopp's comments, it's disingenuous to assume he isn't as aware as the average member of the Twitterati how more cover would be helpful, and it's equally disingenuous to expect him to moan about it in public.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Klopp:

"We will try to do our absolute best to have a squad next week where we can react to pretty much everything, is that possible? We will see."

Sure remember the talk in July from him, we will sign “some players and have a good team” I just don’t buy it. We’re absolute jokers in the transfer market.

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Klopp is just as big an issue with our transfer dealings as are FSG. I'm tired of him regurgitating the same thing every season, last season's midfield excuse has now been rolled out for the defence.

Even then the defence wasnt sorted in 2020.

Klopp will never undermine the players he has in his squad. What he says publicly will be different to behind the scenes. 

We have crocks in defence still, its negligent for us to be done this window. We will have a repeat of the two seasons we have previously had under Klopp where the club does less than what it needs to because we are nothing but an investment vehicle to owners who don't give a shit about the side as long as the books are sound.

• Upvote 1

UH-OH

"In and ideal world we'd have 6, 7, 8 centre halfs and cover for absolutely everything, no we need to be lucky with injuries, there's no doubt about it, I have no doubt in the quality of the boys we have, Quansah a super talented player, in this moment we are covered, but it's not dreamland where we can be prepared for any situation, we had to learn that in the past a couple of times, we will try to do our absolute best to have a squad next week where we can react to pretty much everything, is that possible? We will see."

10 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

UH-OH

"In and ideal world we'd have 6, 7, 8 centre halfs and cover for absolutely everything, no we need to be lucky with injuries, there's no doubt about it, I have no doubt in the quality of the boys we have, Quansah a super talented player, in this moment we are covered, but it's not dreamland where we can be prepared for any situation, we had to learn that in the past a couple of times, we will try to do our absolute best to have a squad next week where we can react to pretty much everything, is that possible? We will see."

It's sounding more and more.like nobody else and klopp is getting agitated with being asked about transfers and having no answers. This is the full passage thaylt include the bit you posted and @an tha above. 

Screenshot_20230825_113835_LFCEcho.jpg

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's sounding more and more.like nobody else and klopp is getting agitated with being asked about transfers and having no answers. This is the full passage thaylt include the bit you posted and @an tha above. 

Screenshot_20230825_113835_LFCEcho.jpg

Its utterly pitiful. No one wants 6 or 7 centre halves just one would do. Its the usual hyperbolic shite from Jurgen much like his 8 midfielders rant last summer.

• Upvote 3

I don't like the way he gets arsey with journos about stuff like that, it's  a perfectly legitimate question that the fans - the paying customers - are asking day in, and day out.

"yeah yeah stop asking me about fucking transfers"

"But it's the summer and you've lost 51 players"

"Yeah yeah but what about Thiago you fuck. Ask me about these situations." 

• Upvote 1