You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Bit reductionist that. 

Salah probably wants to go, regardless of how well we're doing or what the owners have or haven't spent. They certainly paid HIS wages at an elite level. 

And be careful which model of football club you cite as being able to afford those wages while also spending massively.  Last time I checked we didn't want oil daddies owning the club forever.  The only other successful model I've seen to enable such spending is to do so with loans. 

Arsenal are doing something interesting now but it remains to be seen how viable it is to keep buying £100m players.  The last 3 seasons of spend under Kroenke have been massive, though stadium naming rights is the price you pay. 

1 hour ago, kemskem said:

If he does wants to go, the fact that he doesn’t feel the need to play out of his skin at the moment when people are prepared to pay ridiculous money for him would suggest that he knows that they’re not arsed about football. Ok, Mo.

Laughable spin. How do you mean he doesn't feel the need to play out of his skin? He was throwing a tantrum first game of the season when he got subbed early. Because he wanted to stay on and felt the game was there to be won.

And 2nd game of the season, he had a busy game, taking on shots at goal, being a general threat. And then when we went down to 10 men, he upped his pressing even more, chasing lost causes. There were a couple of intense sprints to recover the ball which drew appaluse. Certainly not the sign of someone who no longer cares.

• Upvote 4

Seen people saying the club can't stop players from leaving when Saudi money has turned them. I think that is just an easy cop out for FSG. Henderson for example, was encouraged to leave by the club's (in)actions and decrease in playing time on offer. Of course, money was an important factor for him too but Liverpool were prepared to make that deal. Same as they were prepared to take the money for Fabinho.

But when Saudi interest came for Diaz, the club were emphatic in saying NO. Hence, they do have the power to say "no, we are not selling you to the Saudis". They just pick when convenient to exercise such power. Similar with the Salah now, the answer they put out to the media is an emphatic NO, we are not selling. That might change next summer when they've put in place a replacement plan but as of now, I don't believe they'll let him go even if he sulks a bit.

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

And this is the point. We've spent somewhere between 60-80m on Nunez and that's before the market has gone through its latest insanity loop. And yet he's not ready to replace Salah now. So that's a massive outlay and we're 12 months into the project. It's the very definition of not easy. 

So my views on Nunez are irrelevant. The club clearly thought there was a talent there and so far into the project he's not at, or near to, Salah's level. 

When we lost our greatest goalscorers ever, we replaced him with Aldridge, a very good goalscorer in his own right. Beardsley, one of the best 2nd strikers of his generation. Barnes, one of the greatest footballers we've ever had. And ray Houghton, a decent, if unspectacular right mid. 4 players it took. Again, the very definition of not easy. 

I doubt you could sign four players like that now . They just slotted in perfectly.

6 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Laughable spin. How do you mean he doesn't feel the need to play out of his skin? He was throwing a tantrum first game of the season when he got subbed early. Because he wanted to stay on and felt the game was there to be won.

And 2nd game of the season, he had a busy game, taking on shots at goal, being a general threat. And then when we went down to 10 men, he upped his pressing even more, chasing lost causes. There were a couple of intense sprints to recover the ball which drew appaluse. Certainly not the sign of someone who no longer cares.

All fair. I was actually impressed myself when he was chasing it from left to right at the end on Saturday. Don’t even know why I posted that…

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Diaz, Jota, Nunez a new buy....

As it happens I don't think we will sell Salah now - if it was gonna happen it would have been earlier in summer IMO.

I may be wrong of course and if he has decided he wants out then he should go - i just don't think that is case.

Next summer though it is a certainty and one we should be planning around now in terms of replacement/how we play.

Just like when every other great goalscorer down the years left we will evolve and we'll find solutions.

Nunez is a bit fanciful to be honest.
Given the timing we won’t get anyone of note now.

I agree he’ll go next summer so let’s hope we do plan for his exit in a professional manner. We haven’t sorted our midfield issues yet and we’ve known about those for a very long time. We need to the structure in place to allow us to do that, not Klopp, Ljinders and his mate.

If he’s decided he wants out, the club simply have to tell him no. We cannot replace him now. 
Don’t care what the fee is it can’t be used in a meaningful and productive way with 7 days to go.

Salah needs to nip this in the bud this morning one way or the other and not leave Klopp to face the media fielding all kinds of questions on it.

Realistically it’s too late this window- it would leave us weakened and the kind of outlay needed to replace him will need a bit of thought otherwise we will end up with another Aqualllani 

18 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Salah needs to nip this in the bud this morning one way or the other and not leave Klopp to face the media fielding all kinds of questions on it.

Realistically it’s too late this window- it would leave us weakened and the kind of outlay needed to replace him will need a bit of thought otherwise we will end up with another Aqualllani 

Klopp needs to nip this in the bud. Not for sale. End of story.

All Klopp needs is a green light from the owners that this is the club’s final position.

3 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I doubt you could sign four players like that now . They just slotted in perfectly.

Of course you could if it was planned for a year like it was with rush and you are not locked into kids signings only - Aldo was about 27 or 28 iirc and Beardsley was a British record I think. We also didn't bring them in one go as there was no real transfer window, just the transfer deadline. Iirc, Aldo came in in around the Feb before rushie went, Beardsley and Barnes in the summer and Houghton was the icing on the cake in the first quarter of the following season. 

28 minutes ago, Dave D said:

That was the type of thing people were saying when Henderson wanted to go. Salah's agent did squash things a couple of weeks ago. It's interesting over the last 24 hours when this has ramped up he's said nothing and lovren withdrew his social media post calling it lies (remembering lovren was Salah's best mate when he was here). I don't think it means Salah is gone, but I do think this is live activity and Salah's head has likely been turned. 

Salah isn’t going to nip it in the bud. His agent was straight out the other week declaring that they were staying. This week not so much. The ball is in our court. We don’t have time to negotiate the best fee, they either offer obscene money and get it done or we tell them to get to fuck. I’d tell them to get to fuck as it is anyway just to spite that get well soon wally more than anything but if they offer the sort of money that allows us to transition the squad up a level you have to be realistic.

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Of course you could if it was planned for a year like it was with rush and you are not locked into kids signings only - Aldo was about 27 or 28 iirc and Beardsley was a British record I think. We also didn't bring them in one go as there was no real transfer window, just the transfer deadline. Iirc, Aldo came in in around the Feb before rushie went, Beardsley and Barnes in the summer and Houghton was the icing on the cake in the first quarter of the following season. 

That was the type of thing people were saying when Henderson wanted to go. Salah's agent did squash things a couple of weeks ago. It's interesting over the last 24 hours when this has ramped up he's said nothing and lovren withdrew his social media post calling it lies (remembering lovren was Salah's best mate when he was here). I don't think it means Salah is gone, but I do think this is live activity and Salah's head has likely been turned. 

Of course you could if it was planned for a year like it was with rush and you are not locked into kids signings only - Aldo was about 27 or 28 iirc and Beardsley was a British record I think. We also didn't bring them in one go as there was no real transfer window, just the transfer deadline. Iirc, Aldo came in in around the Feb before rushie went, Beardsley and Barnes in the summer and Houghton was the icing on the cake in the first quarter of the following season. 

I don’t think you could. Too many agents and other potential leakers with the inevitable shitshow. I never even considered the ages of the players and also the limited time of the transfer window.

1 hour ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Klopp needs to nip this in the bud. Not for sale. End of story.

All Klopp needs is a green light from the owners that this is the club’s final position.

Klopp "There's nothing to talk about from our point of view, we don't have an offer, Mo Salah is a Liverpool player....there's nothing there, if their would be something the answer would be no".