You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

We’d need mbappe leaning on things immediately. 

I get the interest in Mo from their pov, but why are we the only club being systematically cannibalised?

Well they’re not going to destabilising Man Utd because all their players are shite and Chelsea, City and Newcastle are untouchable for obvious reasons. Maybe Arsenal will be targeted next.

Just now, Creator Supreme said:

Because our owners are greedy schmucks!

It’s not greed with Hendo or Fabinho though is it? 

Possibility of. Blood in the water as we didn’t put up a fight but I don’t see the sale of those two as being a symptom of greed; the failure to invest is a different matter and not the Saudis’ concern.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Dangerous said:

Well they’re not going to destabilising Man Utd because all their players are shite and Chelsea, City and Newcastle are untouchable for obvious reasons. Maybe Arsenal will be targeted next.

Why are city untouchable from Saudi’s pov?

And why haven’t Arsenal been targeted yet?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Ok Barry, let me ask you some questions. You rate Darwin Nunez. I assume because you think he is a good striker, he will at some point start scoring lots of goals, correct?

If Darwin Nunez starts scoring lots of goals, isn't that going to replace a lot of his production and then whoever we replace Salah with just has to do their job? Is that logical to you?

And this is the point. We've spent somewhere between 60-80m on Nunez and that's before the market has gone through its latest insanity loop. And yet he's not ready to replace Salah now. So that's a massive outlay and we're 12 months into the project. It's the very definition of not easy. 

So my views on Nunez are irrelevant. The club clearly thought there was a talent there and so far into the project he's not at, or near to, Salah's level. 

When we lost our greatest goalscorers ever, we replaced him with Aldridge, a very good goalscorer in his own right. Beardsley, one of the best 2nd strikers of his generation. Barnes, one of the greatest footballers we've ever had. And ray Houghton, a decent, if unspectacular right mid. 4 players it took. Again, the very definition of not easy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, the Bakayoko rumours earlier this week were a bit odd, but now it seems prescient. 

People need to grow up a bit here.  De Zerbi doesn't walk out when they sell Caicedo and MacAllister.  And Brighton don't fall apart.

I'm embarrassed at the dramatics from the usual luvvies.  You're grown men, and so is Salah.  I hope he goes, not so much because I like change, but because I'd actually be happy for Salah to get the chance to be the figurehead of football in a Muslim part of the world.  

I actually think he'll stay, the club should take a big offer but they probably won't.  After all, us keeping Salah can then be viewed as FSG saving the day, and they're desperate for some positive PR.  But Klopp could probably do with 2 more signings and will find them much more useful than a sulking Salah. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Arsenal’s players have never won fuck all, so will seem unattractive to the idiots running these Saudi clubs looking to buy shiny things.

Several of our players are also in a position where they’re thinking about their final contract, and these twats are willing to turn their heads with offers that just wouldn’t be available anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Why are city untouchable from Saudi’s pov?

And why haven’t Arsenal been targeted yet?

City have ginormous wealth too. I’m guessing Arsenal are a young side and will require greater transfer fee’s which the Saudi’s don’t seem to keen on. All our players are on the downward turn and probably seen as more attainable.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And this is the point. We've spent somewhere between 60-80m on Nunez and that's before the market has gone through its latest insanity loop. And yet he's not ready to replace Salah now. So that's a massive outlay and we're 12 months into the project. It's the very definition of not easy. 

So my views on Nunez are irrelevant. The club clearly thought there was a talent there and so far into the project he's not at, or near to, Salah's level. 

When we lost our greatest goalscorers ever, we replaced him with Aldridge, a very good goalscorer in his own right. Beardsley, one of the best 2nd strikers of his generation. Barnes, one of the greatest footballers we've ever had. And ray Houghton, a decent, if unspectacular right mid. 4 players it took. Again, the very definition of not easy. 

Fair.

I think the options will be plentiful if we sell at the right time. Ultimately, as I said, I think it will come down to the tactical setup.

Shouldn't forget Klopp is the one who built our great attack. Those players were a force together.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

When we lost our greatest goalscorers ever, we replaced him with Aldridge, a very good goalscorer in his own right. Beardsley, one of the best 2nd strikers of his generation. Barnes, one of the greatest footballers we've ever had. And ray Houghton, a decent, if unspectacular right mid. 4 players it took. 

Near 40 years ago man - let it go.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

We’d need mbappe leaning on things immediately. 

I get the interest in Mo from their pov, but why are we the only club being systematically cannibalised?

We had enough players who have been key but were either on the slide or about to hit the slide and therefore are perfect targets for the saudis - they've done us a turn giving us 50m for the statues from midfield to be fair.

If Salah goes now my only problem with it is the timing for us to replace him - i always believed he was off this summer anyway, but not this late - he'd be gone next anyway....If we genuinely are gonna get 100m and can do something with it right now - and he wants out then so be it.

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If this happens - and it only will if Salah wants the move - I think we won't buy anyone and will go into Rebuild 2.0 mode.

Agreed. We won't replace him this window

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

If we genuinely are gonna get 100m and can do something with it right now - and he wants out then so be it.

We will get the £100m but it's highly doubtful we will do something with it. We will end up towing the 'right player is not available in this crazy market' line....and postpone the problem to Jan. Especially with no CL.

This is perfect for FSG, drag this out a few days then sell Salah for a £100+ million and there won't be time to scout a replacement. There won't be any value in the market as far as FSG are concerned. A wonderful window where they'll have raked in more than they've spent. Another net spend successful transfer window offsetting much of the revenue lost through missing out on the CL.

Just now, Carra_is_legend said:

We will get the £100m but it's highly doubtful we will do something with it. We will end up towing the 'right player is not available in this crazy market' line....and postpone the problem to Jan. Especially with no CL.

The not strengthening part with just a week to do it, is a worry that is for sure.

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fair.

I think the options will be plentiful if we sell at the right time. Ultimately, as I said, I think it will come down to the tactical setup.

Shouldn't forget Klopp is the one who built our great attack. Those players were a force together.

If Salah goes now he's pretty close to impossible to replace imo. We would need some amazing luck for it not to ruin our entire season imo. 

If we have a year to plan for it, it's less problematic, because we can effectively go the "rush" or for that matter "coutinho" route and replace with multiple players, although that may still be difficult if the saudi's are hoovering up talent. I don't think you can replace Salah with one player. You need to get someone who can do a fine job at Salah's position (like Aldridge did with rush) and then you add some magic elsewhere and try to upgrade another weak position in the side. But that still isn't easy, because it's not a computer game and as big of a footballing genius klopp is, you still need to transfer the talent seen elsewhere and make it work in a new team and maybe formation, country or continent. 

Every side at some point replaces the greats, but it's not always quick and it's not always easy. It's much easier when you have time, which we don't if he goes now. It's much easier when you already have a fine team. I don't think we are one of them right now either. 

• Upvote 1