You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arthur - amazing or shit?

Jose Jones

Amazing or shit?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What's it to be?

• Amazing
    • Shit

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sums up the season really - we brought this Arthur lad in on loan to provide some cover for midfield and likely mostly Thiago - first up his own injury prevents him from being any use and now when he is finally  going to actually maybe be fit and be in consideration for a squad place, and with Thiago injured so cover might be handy - he can't be used at all in our European Cup games because we left him out of the squad.

It's beyond parody at this point this season.

We don’t need him now we have Bajetic.

22 minutes ago, an tha said:

Might have been some use in Europe - PL i'd say no, but maybe in Europe.

Klopp loves players in rhythm though doesn't he? I don't see him picking a midfielder who's barely kicked a ball for us, spent 4 months injured on the back of a similar period out and then just drop him in in massive European games. I think that's why he's not in the squad as he was least likely of the midfield choices to get picked. 

Edit... In fact I would go as far as to say gakpo is probably ahead of him as a choice in midfield in a big game. Not that I'm saying he'd want to pick him there, just our forwards are coming back so if we had a midfield crisis, I just think playing gakpo would seem more likely that Arthur. 

On 10/02/2023 at 08:17, dockers_strike said:

Well he's brasilian so he should settle in with Alli and Fabinho. Fair play to the lad, he was working hard to get fit when he got injured and it makes you wonder whether the medical team were monitoring him properly if at all.

If he brings some improvement to the team and midfield, all the better now he's working his way back.

Our Arthur's Brazilian?  I thought he was from Barnsley.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp loves players in rhythm though doesn't he? I don't see him picking a midfielder who's barely kicked a ball for us, spent 4 months injured on the back of a similar period out and then just drop him in in massive European games. I think that's why he's not in the squad as he was least likely of the midfield choices to get picked. 

Edit... In fact I would go as far as to say gakpo is probably ahead of him as a choice in midfield in a big game. Not that I'm saying he'd want to pick him there, just our forwards are coming back so if we had a midfield crisis, I just think playing gakpo would seem more likely that Arthur. 

In fact I would go as far as to say gakpo is probably ahead of him as a choice in midfield 

I reckon I am ahead of Arthur and I am pissed the day before a game.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not really advocating him offering much and i'd inagine he won't be used much - but just thought that maybe in Europe as an option if need someone with a bit of nous and experience in Europe he might at least add something there.

Just found it ironic and typical of season how it has worked out.

10 hours ago, an tha said:

I'm not really advocating him offering much and i'd inagine he won't be used much - but just thought that maybe in Europe as an option if need someone with a bit of nous and experience in Europe he might at least add something there.

Just found it ironic and typical of season how it has worked out.

I get what you're saying. I think klopp would be more likely to go with Bobby Clarke! I'll be genuinely amazed if he gets another minute for us. 

20 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp loves players in rhythm though doesn't he?

I think Arthur, along with every other player on the bench or in the stands, is entitled, at least in the privacy of their own head, to exclaim: 'How the feck do I get rhythm without playing???' Not that I don't understand Klopp's attitude, but I do feel a bit sorry for Arthur, who has been judged definitively to be shit and probably won't get a chance to prove or disprove it on the pitch.

49 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I think Arthur, along with every other player on the bench or in the stands, is entitled, at least in the privacy of their own head, to exclaim: 'How the feck do I get rhythm without playing???' Not that I don't understand Klopp's attitude, but I do feel a bit sorry for Arthur, who has been judged definitively to be shit and probably won't get a chance to prove or disprove it on the pitch.

That's life at the top of football though. You have to take your chance when you get it. Considering where he was at juve, not even training with the 1st team if I recall correctly, then his chance was coming here. He got bad luck by getting injured. But it wasn't bad luck he was completely out of shape when he arrived. I'm sure he'll survive being judged by some fat, old fellas on TLW (speaking about myself there), but he gets a chance every day to impress klopp. Do enough to get on the bench and then maybe get a game off the bench. Get a few games off the bench, then maybe you get a start. That took keita weeks and weeks after his latest injury and he knows what klopp expects. Considering Arthur has played about 20 mins since may, he needs to smash it in training or expect to get nothing here. 

17 hours ago, SasaS said:

It's Arthur's chance to shine now.

Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

We see you stand like a greyhound in the slips, Straining upon the start!

The game's afoot: Follow your spirit, Arthur, lad!

I am of the view we may as well give him a chance now.

Hendo and Fabinho have both fallen so far they are shells of players - Thiago is injured again - Keita showed yet again on Saturday when given a chance that he is just not up to the job and got hooked after 45 mins, frankly would anyone give two shites if he never played for us again now? - Oxlade is just posting on Instagram until his contract runs out - Jones seemingly isn't trusted - Milner is 37 and can only play limited games really -Bajcetic's minutes need to be managed  -  Elliott? Well should he be played in midfield at all?

I say given the above mess that we may as well give this Arthur lad a go - can he be any worse than the clusterfuck of options we have been trying to get to form and failing miserably something resembling a midfield all season?

He is an experienced player who has been at some pretty handy clubs - surely he could be some use to us before he goes back to Juventus - let's face it the other options are hardly inspiring are they, and he might just be motivated to show he isn't a joke...

If he turns out to be shite then so be it, I doubt he will make the black hole we call our midfield any worse than it already is, and he might just possibly make it a bit better. I think I would rather see him have a go than watch Keita be invisible yet again or Hendo do his slow motion replay impression or Fabinho put in his latest claim for slowest moving object at Anfield since the crane that lifted the last truss onto the new stand.

A free hit for us and him I think, give the lad a go....

• Upvote 2