You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Like I say every time Ardja brings him up - so, like, twice a day - he's not the right sort of player for the way we play. We will never have him.

I agree 

Under Rafa or Ged he would have been a fine player, under Mourinho he would be a great CB in the mould of Terry. But on a team wanting to play on the front foot with a high line i don't think he is ideal. Klopp loves Lovren anyway i think he starts again next year. He is always at risk of fucking up but i still think we have far more pressing needs than another CB. Matip needs this year to show if he can be a second or third choice. Also be interesting if Joe Gomez gets any shot at CB next year

“No disrespect to Leicester but I can't see him being there come the end of the transfer window. I think he would have been £50million before the World Cup and probably a bit more now. But I think he would be worth it.

“Big clubs will be after him and I'd like to think that Liverpool would be at the forefront.”

Thompson added that Maguire was the English equivalent of Virgil van Dijk, who made a £75m switch to Anfield in January.

“Harry would be an upgrade (on Dejan Lovren),” said Thompson. “He's like an English version of Van Dijk.

Thommo’s cracking up. Fucking lunacy.

• Upvote 1

I think Maguire is a brilliant player at what he does.

The problem is all of his best attributes are already covered by Van Dijk, and with the high line/pressing nature of our team his weaknesses would be exploited regularly.

If Maguire was the second choice in case the Virgil deal completely collapsed then I'd say fair enough good signing and he will bring something to the team we've been lacking, but he's just not necessary as things stand.

Virgil is the Range Rover to Maguires Land Rover.

• Upvote 2

The problem I have with Maguire is when the ball's at his feet. Heading away long balls, tussling with strikers, he's good at, but when he's employed to actually use his feet and his brain he's more in line with the Skrtels of this world than the Van Dijks. Perfect for a back three or a deep line, but risky as hell in the system we play.

The problem I have with Maguire is when the ball's at his feet. Heading away long balls, tussling with strikers, he's good at, but when he's employed to actually use his feet and his brain he's more in line with the Skrtels of this world than the Van Dijks. Perfect for a back three or a deep line, but risky as hell in the system we play.

He’s actually very good on the ball.

• Upvote 1

This Lascelles talk needs to stop. He’s a backs to the wall defender who’s had about 2/3 high profile decent games. Hes not quick and he’s not good enough on the ball. He’s got Michael Keane written all over him.

Interesting choice of tattoos by the young man. I say sign him up.

• Upvote 2

He’s been pretty good in the premier league for 2 seasons for 2 different teams. There’s a reason he’s starting for England ahead of various top 6 team defenders. If this is the only time you’ve seen him though I don’t blame you being sceptical. These games have proved nothing as the standard of opposition has been Championship level at best. He’s shown how good he is in the league.

He’s been pretty good in the premier league for 2 seasons for 2 different teams. There’s a reason he’s starting for England ahead of various top 6 team defenders. If this is the only time you’ve seen him though I don’t blame you being sceptical. These games have proved nothing as the standard of opposition has been Championship level at best. He’s shown how good he is in the league.

Panama aside, you are talking out of your arse here.