You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

As much of a pain in the arse international windows are, the final couple of WCQ's and the play-offs are usually interesting viewing. 

more games coming...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/uefa-nations-league-republic-of-ireland-northern-ireland-and-wales-will-be-in-b-competition-36217269.html

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2507364.html#/

So the US lost 2-1 to Trinidad and now cannot qualify 

How the fuck could they fuck that group up

5th in a group containing Mexico,Costa Rica,Panama,Honduras and Trinidad. 

Didn't even make the playoffs by finishing 4th

That is Hodgson levels of shite

I'm too thick to figure out what's going on here.

Is this a new competition that goes between world cups and euros?

Or is this a new way of having qualifier games so they feel slightly less pointless?

In an ideal world all the south american teams would be at the world cup. I used to love when sky showed the world cup qualifiers from south america. Great football,great atmosphere and even the worst team like a Venezuela is still half decent.

I remember my mate had some dodgy satellite channels years ago and we watched Colombia win 5 nil in Argentina to qualify for the 1994. We went round to his to watch it live. The game, atmosphere and challenges were all mental. Pity Colombia fell apart when they qualified as they had an amazing team.

When the Copa America is on i try to stay up late and watch as many games as possible. The grounds always seem full of proper supporters.

• Upvote 1

I remember my mate had some dodgy satellite channels years ago and we watched Colombia win 5 nil in Argentina to qualify for the 1994. We went round to his to watch it live. The game, atmosphere and challenges were all mental. Pity Colombia fell apart when they qualified as they had an amazing team.

When the Copa America is on i try to stay up late and watch as many games as possible. The grounds always seem full of proper supporters.

Yeah love the Copa, even the shit teams have proper supporters, they never plan on getting very far but they enjoy it all the same.

Then you have England fans, bunch of moaning entitled cunts that expect us to win stuff because of "muh best league in't world" despite the fact the squad is filled with rich moaning entitled cunts that can't wait to fuck off to tenerife on their jollies and be done with the whole football lark for two months.

Copa is great. South American players are boss. They have street footballer skill with world class desire and they are patriotic. Britain and Ireland don't produce those kinds of players anymore as our kids play their playstation rather than get their knees ripped in two by loonies 5 years older than them. Sad indictment that Bale and Kane are the only world class players in our islands even if i think ali will get to that level.

Yeah love the Copa, even the shit teams have proper supporters, they never plan on getting very far but they enjoy it all the same.

Then you have England fans, bunch of moaning entitled cunts that expect us to win stuff because of "muh best league in't world" despite the fact the squad is filled with rich moaning entitled cunts that can't wait to fuck off to tenerife on their jollies and be done with the whole football lark for two months.

England would finish about 3rd bottom of the South American qualifying group.

The little ingerlunder mentallity, xenophobia and general mong strength displayed by most of the twats who follow ingerlund plus their shite generic flags with the cross and their shite town or clubs name written across it or in the corners with the 3 lions is one of the main reasons i can't get on board with the whole ingerlund thing.

You see the small time twats and you just know they are the same beauts who when following stoke, leicester, chelsea et al rock up at anfield with all their sign on/always the victim etc shite.

Fuck them and fuck their ingerlund shite.

The way they are is why they go all over europe and get filled in and we go all over europe and share experiences like at at Dortmund and so on.

Don't like the ingerlund stuff but love the south american/central american lads belting out their anthems when they are playing.

I think it helps when you can sing about being free from oppression. Rather than singing about something you don't believe exists, an inbred lizard, and a load of jingoistic shite.

• Upvote 1

I think it helps when you can sing about being free from oppression. Rather than singing about something you don't believe exists, an inbred lizard, and a load of jingoistic shite.

Or you can take the piss out of other countries and proclaim your country's potassium as the greatest.

The Euros used to be great.  16 sides, most of them capable of holding their own.  At least a few groups that had someone decent going home.  They've completely destroyed that now.  Backing teams to qualify from the group was the easiest money I've ever won in 2016.  I doubt the odds will be so sweet 2020.

The world cup has been a bit dire since it lost the magical appeal it had in my youth.   Those days I seen Liverpool on motd and a bit of series A.   Now I'm up to my ears in football, whenever and however I want.

The Euros used to be great.  16 sides, most of them capable of holding their own.  At least a few groups that had someone decent going home.  They've completely destroyed that now.  Backing teams to qualify from the group was the easiest money I've ever won in 2016.  I doubt the odds will be so sweet 2020.

The world cup has been a bit dire since it lost the magical appeal it had in my youth.   Those days I seen Liverpool on motd and a bit of series A.   Now I'm up to my ears in football, whenever and however I want.

Interesting, as someone who only has access to 'terrestrial' I now watch basically no football on T.V. I catch Liverpool highlights/stream some games online and see the occasional game in the pub, but I probably watch more live football now than stuff beamed through the television.

A lot of people feel that way. Part of it is down to getting grumpier as we get older, but mostly it's because so many of the players are already known in some capacity. We can watch so much football on TV now. Back then, there were teams and players you'd never heard of which added to the tournament's mystique. Italia 90 is the first World Cup I really remember, and I hadn't even heard of countries like Cameroon or the UAE, never mind knowing they had football teams. Also, football has become more and more homogenised as so many players play in Europe, and so many European coaches manage teams around the world.