You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

I don’t think SD's original comment was offensive, for what it's worth.

It wasn't offensive (at least to me), it was just wrong. Ireland aren't a home nation. The the backtracking about "sure, but I'm just making a point about" was funny. Fairly typical of someone who can't just hold their hands up and say the words "yea, you're right".

As I say, I'm not wound up about it, but I can see why people would get frustrated by that over time.

Also I'm a plastic paddy according to some, so maybe my opinion doesn't count. Born and raised in the north. One parent from the north, one from the south, Irish passport.

Horrendous game that last night but I am glad the Irish went through as I hate that Chris Coleman tosspot who has been basking in the glory of Gary Speed's hard work turning them around after Coleman was sacked in the first place. Downside for Ireland is that their manager is still playing his team like its the 1970s.

I'm glad people appreciated my culturally-aware post.

Sensitivity and tolerance are what continues to make England great.

And if you don't mind, I'll just wish you all a "Top of the morning...!"

To be sure.

• Upvote 1

Come on SD, don't play the innocent.

Your comment may be factually accurate, but you were fully aware that it was highly inflammatory and likely to get a rise out of somebody.

Yeah, because nothing winds people up more than facts, am I right.

I don't know what stupid shit people are going to try to take offence at (the legal status of a country, really?) nor do I particularly care.

Incidentally, this year's LD Home Nations Championship was hosted in Dublin (Scotland won it). So at least the FAI are relaxed about the issue.

I don't know what stupid shit people are going to try to take offence at (the legal status of a country, really?) nor do I particularly care.

Incidentally, this year's LD Home Nations Championship was hosted in Dublin (Scotland won it). So at least the FAI are relaxed about the issue.

Yeah, no one ever gets wound up by the legal status of a country. I mean, that's just stupid isn't it.
  • Upvote 1

International football was always shite. Aside from the great Brazilian teams, the French team with Platini and the Spanish side of recent times, international teams never play with flair, freedom and quality. How can you when you meet up every few months for a week?

Its always been more than just football. Its a bit of national pride, an outlet for small countries like the two Irelands to punch above their weights and slog it out literally with their more storied counterparts. Many countries don't have professional leagues while their best players are making their living in the professional leagues of England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France ironically to the detriment of the English national team whose clubs still rely on imports stopping the  development of local players.

Lets face it the majority of games at World Cups and European championships are muck.

I love the phrase "step up to International football"... "step up"..da fuck..its a step down for many club players.

• Upvote 2

Horrendous game that last night but I am glad the Irish went through as I hate that Chris Coleman tosspot who has been basking in the glory of Gary Speed's hard work turning them around after Coleman was sacked in the first place. Downside for Ireland is that their manager is still playing his team like its the 1970s.

Tbf David Meyler and Jonathan Walters are amongst their better players.  Very much a case of making do with what he's got.

• Upvote 1

The FAI - headed by the face-you-can-trust below - is relaxed about any means of making money.

John-Delaney.png

The Jack Charlton EIRE Qualification Criteria

1. Do you have an Irish parent or grandparent.

2. Have you been to or can you point to the Republic of Ireland on a map ( nearly cost McAteer an international career this one )

3. Do you like or can you pretend to like Guinness. This also applies to U2, Father Ted and Dana.

4. Dana was a trick question and we won't be needing you.

5. Do you hate Riverdance and Boyzone.

Granted with a few tweaks these questions can also been used to qualify to play Cricket for England.

• Upvote 1

Well done Ireland. Unlucky Wales - but they’ve had a more recent taste of excitement at tournament football, and they will come again once they feel the (Wood)burn.

Don’t know what all the argy bargy is about the last few pages. But good luck to Ireland.

As an Englishman I view our team with a healthy dose of disdain. Apart from Harry Kane there’s nothing there really. With a fair wind we might make it to the QF but we generally play with a lot of fear, and when allied to the quality level currently on display, it’s not a good recipe. Still, I can’t hate Gareth Southgate so good luck to England too.

Teams like Ireland have a real chance to put one over on teams like England, as the quality gap is not so great that it can’t be bridged with some hard work and a deep desire to get one over on us, should we meet. If it happens I will enjoy the extra layer of frisson without all the political crap. One team playing for their country against another doing likewise. Bring it on. It’s the essence of international football.

• Upvote 1

Ireland is not a 'home nation'. 

I thought the match last night was dire. Wales , apart from, a clever ball zipped across the keeper by Woodburn were never at the races, Ireland were little better. Bale may have made the difference and losing Allen was unlucky but frankly neither team would be likely to have any impact in the finals even if they made it through the qualifier.

I can remember, starting back in the days of George Best it used to be widely thought that a UK team would be a serious contender for the WC but these days I doubt it would make an iota of difference, The one or two like Bale that would get in the squad are not going to make a significance difference to the mediocrity of the England team or change the poor standard of coaching and management.

Australia beat Syria 3-2 on aggregate to win the Asian zone play-off. They'll face the 4th placed side from the CONCACAF zone (North America & Caribbean), most likely Panama although if USA fuck up their final qualifier, it could be them instead. Panama's final qualifier is at home to already-qualified Costa Rica while the USA travel to Trinidad & Tobago, who finished bottom.