You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

Guest Pistonbroke

Mourinho is full of shit too. He had nobody on the bench apparently.

The BBC did a hatchet job, cunts. I hate Danny Murphy, but at least he had the Gaul to say it as it was. 

IMO the BBC are dying to use Klopp as their latest "Let's try and get some foreign manager sacked". 

Am I the only one left cold by City? Don't get me wrong, their football is exceptional, as are a number of their players, but it's just that when I weigh that alongside the cost it took Guardiola to implement his grand vision, I can't help but shrug my shoulders.

It's not managing or coaching as such, it's just bankrolled theory. "Give me £150m to spend on three full backs." "Alright, yeah."

They'll win the league this season and I'll just shrug my shoulders. All things considered, I personally think that what Pochettino is doing at Spurs is far more impressive.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, defo. It's just all very 'meh', to me. I think even the job Conte did last season will have eclipsed a City title win this season, apart from if they do something astounding like go the campaign unbeaten.

The analogy I gave a mate the other day over Guardiola is that it's similar to how if you're making a billion pound blockbuster, there's probably nobody better to get in than Steven Speilberg. You know he'll pull off the spectacular and you'll enjoy watching it, but you'll just wander around later that day without any of it permeating your consciousness. Just all very disposable and clinical. At the same time, like fuck you'd have him directing an indie film, nor would I suspect he'd even remotely be interested in doing so.

Yeah, defo. It's just all very 'meh', to me. I think even the job Conte did last season will have eclipsed a City title win this season, apart from if they do something astounding like go the campaign unbeaten.

The analogy I gave a mate the other day over Guardiola is that it's similar to how if you're making a billion pound blockbuster, there's probably nobody better to get in than Steven Speilberg. You know he'll pull off the spectacular and you'll enjoy watching it, but you'll just wander around later that day without any of it permeating your consciousness. Just all very disposable and clinical. At the same time, like fuck you'd have him directing an indie film, nor would I suspect he'd even remotely be interested in doing so.

His career is the equivalent of a kid finishing college, somehow immediately getting a CEO job at a Fortune 500 company and then taking the stock through the roof.

That guy wouldn't then take a job at a failing business through the kindness of his heart or to prove something to his doubters.

I'm not a 'doubter'- he's clearly a very good manager- but I'm just left cold by him and his team. He's even acknowledged it himself that he couldn't see himself undertaking a 'project' like Klopp, Pochettino, even Wenger, have all done. Personally, people who've achieved success that way are worthy of far more credit.

It's like a chef requiring only the very best ingredients in the best possible kitchen in order to make a tasty dish.

To be honest, the polarised nature of the Guardiola debate bores me; the way he's either a fraud or a genius. The very nature of it is cheap and thoughtless. It's more nuanced than that and I suppose it's down to what you're after really.

Personally, I love managers who undertake challenges and completely model clubs in their own image, so I'll always view achievements that come that way in greater light. And that's not saying I decry Guardiola's achievements at Barca and Bayern, just I regard Klopp's success at Dortmund in higher esteem.

It's all just a bit 'kid playing FM on sugar daddy' mode. Congrats on winning the league, mate, nice one, but there's nothing like heavily stacking the deck in your favour, eh?

MOTD highlights of our game were a fucking joke. They obviously tried to make the game look as shit as they could and to make it look like a bore draw. They can fuck off, Tory loving fucking wank stains.

Spot on since when does a Liverpool v Man utd match end up last regardless of the score

De Bruyne looks to be as good as Lampard or Gerrard. Still has a way to go to win as much as both of those guys, but he's wonderful to watch. Seems a decent level headed lad too.

He's outrageously good. Playing in a good attacking side too which can only help. If he was at United under Jose he would be nowhere near this effective.

I'm not a 'doubter'- he's clearly a very good manager- but I'm just left cold by him and his team. He's even acknowledged it himself that he couldn't see himself undertaking a 'project' like Klopp, Pochettino, even Wenger, have all done. Personally, people who've achieved success that way are worthy of far more credit.

It's like a chef requiring only the very best ingredients in the best possible kitchen in order to make a tasty dish.

To be honest, the polarised nature of the Guardiola debate bores me; the way he's either a fraud or a genius. The very nature of it is cheap and thoughtless. It's more nuanced than that and I suppose it's down to what you're after really.

Personally, I love managers who undertake challenges and completely model clubs in their own image, so I'll always view achievements that come that way in greater light. And that's not saying I decry Guardiola's achievements at Barca and Bayern, just I regard Klopp's success at Dortmund in higher esteem.

It's all just a bit 'kid playing FM on sugar daddy' mode. Congrats on winning the league, mate, nice one, but there's nothing like heavily stacking the deck in your favour, eh?

I don't understand this point of view, at all. Would you say "Messi, yeah, he was a great player but he didn't test himself by playing for Plymouth Argyle"?

Why would the best, settle for anything less than the best? Why would the best chef, not cook with the best ingredients? or the best manager, not want to work with the best players? To test themselves? They're testing themselves already, at the highest possible level. 

Show me an example of a top sportsman, in any sport, that's just decided to walk away from the top level (in their prime) and sign up at a much lower level, in the same sport, wilfully, just to prove a point.