You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Bjornebye

He only scored consistently with us. He was never prolific for Atletico or Spain prior to joining.

In the build-up to his coming I remember reading some Spanish journo saying the word about him was that he wasn't a great goal scorer but that he scored great goals. Proved true enough for us, I think.

In the build-up to his coming I remember reading some Spanish journo saying the word about him was that he wasn't a great goal scorer but that he scored great goals. Proved true enough for us, I think.

The latter proved true, not the former.

65 goals in 102 games qualifies you as a great goalscorer.

He was fucked by the time we signed Suarez.  I don't think they'd have hit it off as a pair. We came out of that transfer window well, despite blowing £35m on Andy Carroll.  

You could tell Torres was in trouble during Rafa's last season.  He played through injections, if I recall correctly. 

Good thread, this. Another thing that comes to mind is all the disdain he suffered - he was our biggest signing, foreign, we were the biggest team in English football, etc., etc., he was really picked over in the press and on the pitch. How many elbows did defenders, especially Terry, plant in the back of his head. I recall one away game against Reading in the Milk Cup where it was just flat out affray against him. But he took it.

It's a trueism that money changed everything. Nobody harms investment anymore, certainly not the players against each other. How many hard, physical challenges has Martial endured? Or any of these other players piling in now that the money has broken the ceiling - everyone wants to feed at the trough. I guess the exception was McCarthy's thuggery against Payet but such things are increasingly rare. People exaggerated Flanagan's tackle against Sterling only because any physicality is disappearing.

Torres got hammered.

Good thread, this. Another thing that comes to mind is all the disdain he suffered - he was our biggest signing, foreign, we were the biggest team in English football, etc., etc., he was really picked over in the press and on the pitch. How many elbows did defenders, especially Terry, plant in the back of his head. I recall one away game against Reading in the Milk Cup where it was just flat out affray against him. But he took it.

It's a trueism that money changed everything. Nobody harms investment anymore, certainly not the players against each other. How many hard, physical challenges has Martial endured? Or any of these other players piling in now that the money has broken the ceiling - everyone wants to feed at the trough. I guess the exception was McCarthy's thuggery against Payet but such things are increasingly rare. People exaggerated Flanagan's tackle against Sterling only because any physicality is disappearing.

Torres got hammered.

Yep. He was a couple of levels below Suarez on the hatred meter, but he definitely wasn't liked at all. Taggart branded him a diver on a couple of occasions.

He'd be kicked about in some games and have defenders standing over him screaming at him afterwards.

Yep. He was a couple of levels below Suarez on the hatred meter, but he definitely wasn't liked at all. Taggart branded him a diver on a couple of occasions.

He'd be kicked about in some games and have defenders standing over him screaming at him afterwards.

He did get kicked an awful lot, but let's not kid ourselves, he did to go to ground rather easily. That's modern football for you.

• Upvote 1

He did get kicked an awful lot, but let's not kid ourselves, he did to go to ground rather easily. That's modern football for you.

I think the point was that Ferguson singled Torres out because he knew how good he was.

It's why they went for Suarez as well.

And he scored a hat-trick.

I think that was the night that we fully realised what we had on our hands.