You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Bjornebye

I still love the lad. What a fucking player he was for us. The best striker in Europe when he was with us. Ok he left on bad terms to join them cunts but fuck me the lad was the ultimate striker. As much as Suarez was a better all round player for us, Torres is still my favourite striker since Fowler. 

• Upvote 1

I don't hold a grudge against him anymore and I was happy for him when he rejoined Atletico. It was nice that he got a decent reception during that charity match, it put a lid on it all for me.

In hindsight we sold him at the right time, a kick in the nuts at the time though. For those couple of years he was outstanding, a telepathic relationship with Gerrard.

I was overjoyed when we signed him and adored him for the time he was at Anfield, when I think he was as good as Van Basten at being that sort of striker. Going to Chelsea finished me with Footballers, I don't think I'll give a shit when any of them leave ever again, didn't really bother when Gerrard or Suarez went.

In hindsight, he was broken by the time he left anyway and no hard feelings from me.

I'll never forget his goal at home to Arsenal in the Champions League, he was absolutely fucking unplayable on that form.

Superb player.

One of those strikers we've been blessed to have who you just sat and watched and expected something to happen whenever he got the ball.

Genuinely unplayable when on top form. Had pretty much every quality needed too. Could finish with either foot and his head. In the box, outside the box. Pace and power too.

I was pissed off when he moved as it was literally just after we'd signed Suarez (I believe?) and it would've been interesting to see them together.

But, in hindsight, when looking at his formations after he left us and the fee we got, we sold at the perfect time and it's one of the few deals we've got spectacularly right. Just a shame how we went on to spend the fee....

Hodgson ruined him.

he was on the turn before hodgson took over. No one knew what his plans were and then he posed with the world cup in a liverpool scarf in july 2010 but the injuries were already taking their toll and the lack of champions league in 10-11 was more than he could stand.

loved him. Broke my heart.

Excellent player, we got the best of him in a Liverpool shirt.

A very good team fell apart as the ripple effects from G&H were felt, but hopefully we're going to build it up again under Klopp.

selling alonso was the beginning of the end of that era but cant really blame that on owners.

• Upvote 1

A horrendous cunt. Best striker in Europe? You are having a laugh. David Villa, Eto'o and Drogba were better than him. His attitude was horrible. He was also massively overrated by our fanbase who focused only on his statistics to point out his value, neglecting that he benefitted and built his reputation because he was played as a lone striker in front of a World Class midfield and that we failed to reach a single final with him in any competition, let alone winning a trophy.

Suarez and Fowler were miles better than him. I also like Sturridge more than Torres.

• Downvote 3

Torres was great for us. I remember when he scored that first goal at Chelsea and you could tell we had bought a game changer - the first striker since Owen who could score something out of nothing. He could score every type of goal. But he was also still a massive cunt for leaving us for Chelsea. Now...I don't care much about either. I don't fawn for the 2008 Torres and I don't begrudge the 2010 Torres.

(Funny watching that youtube vid though, I don't remember any of his goals post our title fight, probably because I stopped giving a fuck about football)

Suarez was, is and always will be a far better player than Torres. He is undeniably and consistently world class, whilst Torres showed glimpses of being but never reached that stratosphere for me.

I think Sturridge at his best isn't far from Torres at his best; in fact I think he is just as good. I know people might not agree with that but they can suck my left bollock BECAUSE IM ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING.

Okay goodbye

• Upvote 1

A horrendous cunt. Best striker in Europe? You are having a laugh. David Villa, Eto'o and Drogba were better than him. His attitude was horrible. He was also massively overrated by our fanbase who focused only on his statistics to point out his value, neglecting that he benefitted and built his reputation because he was played as a lone striker in front of a World Class midfield and that we failed to reach a single final with him in any competition, let alone winning a trophy.

Suarez and Fowler were miles better than him. I also like Sturridge more than Torres.

Mongy wank cunt.

It will always be one of those 'what if' scenarios to see what might have happened had he stayed and formed a partnership with Suarez. I'm pretty certain we would not have moved for Carroll if that was the case, and I don't think we'd have gone in for Carroll the following summer.

I really think he's underrated by a significant portion of our fanbase for the way he forced his way out of the club.

Looking back on it, though, with the benefit of hindsight, I have to say I have a lot of sympathy.  If you were one of the best players in the world (and he was) would you have been happy to stay at a club that was being destroyed by two of the worst owners in sports history?  If he had gone overseas I wouldn't have any problem with him at all, and as it was Chelsea were probably his only choice due to the size of their offer so even moving there I don't hold against him much.

It's similar to Mascherano in that I felt angry at the time but now that more has come out about what happened behind the scenes it's understandable.

Oh, and as for the idea that he's overrated by our fanbase, I'm not having that at all.  His form absolutely collapsed at about age 27, but for his first two seasons here he was not far short of Suarez at his best.  Not quite there, obviously, but not that far off, which is really saying something.  He was sensational, especially his dribbling, I think that part of his game doesn't get the respect it deserves.