You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Bjornebye

Torres was the complete striker, he had everything. I don't blame anyone for wanting out after suffering through the Hicks-Gillett years. What a terrible shame him and Suarez never got to play together for us.

I don't think Torres suffered much.  He still got paid as far as I remember.  He did down tools half way through Benitez's last season, in which he wasn't the only one culpable, but the wind changed and he could never get his mojo back.  I really didn't like the way he sulked over the last 12 months or so.

Sturridge's first three touches often let him down.

Both fantastic strikers, but Torres in his prime was up there with anyone...in the world, not just in this league.

I loved Torres, but he was a touch overrated. He's only ever scored more than 20 goals a season only once if I'm not mistaken.

Sturridge's first three touches often let him down.

Both fantastic strikers, but Torres in his prime was up there with anyone...in the world, not just in this league.

Torres reached 50 goals for Liverpool in fewer games than any player we've ever had.

If he did, I stand corrected as I never heard about it.

That said, Torres never had the luxury of playing with Suarez.

He did have the luxury of playing with Gerrard at the peak of his powers though. Pity they didn't get more games together, they were absolutely lethal. I still remember them combining for two beautiful goals at home to Newcastle.

Oh wait, here it is *fap fap fap*

Ovrerrated my arse, he was absolutely brilliant in his prime. Quick, strong, skillful and could finish with both feet. His long range shooting was pretty good, too. The guy had everything.

I loved him then. Went right off him when he went to Chelsea as many of us did. Glad he got the good reception at that charity match and now I look back at him fondly again.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Torres suffered much. He still got paid as far as I remember. He did down tools half way through Benitez's last season, in which he wasn't the only one culpable, but the wind changed and he could never get his mojo back. I really didn't like the way he sulked over the last 12 months or so.

He proved a couple of times (notably against Chelsea) that he still had a great game in him. When he left, Hicks, Gillett and Hodgson were all history and a new world-class strike partner had just arrived. How could you not be excited enough to stick around?

He made his bed and he pissed in it. I've long since got over him leaving, to the extent that I can enjoy remembering how good he was, without any bitterness or regret.

He proved a couple of times (notably against Chelsea) that he still had a great game in him. When he left, Hicks, Gillett and Hodgson were all history and a new world-class strike partner had just arrived. How could you not be excited enough to stick around?

He made his bed and he pissed in it. I've long since got over him leaving, to the extent that I can enjoy remembering how good he was, without any bitterness or regret.

Would we have signed Suarez had we not sold Torres? I wouldn't be surprised if we only upped our offer for Suarez once we knew we were getting the money for Torres.

Would we have signed Suarez had we not sold Torres? I wouldn't be surprised if we only upped our offer for Suarez once we knew we were getting the money for Torres.

I'm pretty sure we would have.

£35m for Carroll, on the other hand, wouldn't have happened without Torres money.

I'd say no given the history of the owners and big money signings, more often then not we've missed out. We fucked Ajax about during that window and I think the opening bid for Suarez was £12 million? Ajax chairman slagged us off in public, for me it was only once they new that Torres was wanting out and they were getting a windfall that they upped the money.

• Upvote 1

Torres and Suarez could possibly have been the best strike partnership the Premiership had ever seen.

The only things Rafa's sides ever missed was width and that 'jack in the box' genius, and Suarez would have provided the latter in spades.

*Charlton Heston*

Whyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?