You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Augsburg 0 (Feb 25 2016)

tlw content

augsburgreport2.jpg

As soon as we failed to win - or even score - in Germany, this was always going to be tense and nervy. Do we ever win at home by more than a single goal margin? Of the 20 games we’ve played at Anfield, a dozen of them have ended in a result that would have saw us knocked out, so I’m just relieved we got through as frankly I had major doubts that we would.

I expected us to dominate the game but go out after a 1-1 draw, probably after conceding a late goal when nerves became frayed. That’s almost how it unfolded too, but thankfully that terrific last minute free-kick from their left back drifted an inch wide of the post. That’s how close we came to going out, but it’s ridiculous that it came to that. Over 180 minutes against one of the worst teams in the Bundesliga we had only a dubious penalty to show for it. That’s shite.

These are the games we used to win three or four nil without even breaking sweat. I don’t just mean in Europe either, we struggle to beat crap English sides at home too. It’s hard to explain why, as often the performances have been quite good. Even when we play well we just can’t seem to put anybody away though. All our big wins have come away from Anfield, which is why I was so critical of the players after last week’s game in Germany. That was our best chance of comfortably winning the tie, because home games are always on a knife edge.

Sturridge coming back was supposed to change that, and I’m sure it will soon enough. He’s not quite got into his stride yet, although I thought his performance in this game was good and had he put away the great chance he had just after half time we might have ran out very comfortable winners. As long as he stays fit he’ll be fine and we’ll be at least 30% more effective. 

On that note I was happy to see Kloppo drag him off just after an hour to make sure he didn’t come to any harm. Sturridge looked pissed off, which I suppose is a good thing although I couldn’t help wondering if that was just for show after his “you don’t know me, I’m devastated when I can’ play” guff from the day before. Let’s hope the fucker delivers for us at Wembley on Sunday. He’s had £10m for doing absolutely fuck all since he signed that new contract, so it’s about time he gave a little back. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

Never actually enjoy games against the mancs.  Even the 3-0 at OT when Moyes was there wasn't really enjoyable (for me) until we went 3 clear.  These 2 games are going to be torture.  I like to think the law of averages will kick in given how we've lost the last 4 v them and whatever luck there has been has gone their way.  Doesn't work like that though.