You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Assistant Manager

Mark M

I would imagine there are enough question marks over Rodgers that an experienced coach would think twice about coming here. If Brendan doesn't turn it around quickly you get the sense that he will be out, presumably along with the new coach he hires.

So if you are the sort of coach that has experience and a decent enough profile, maybe the timing is all wrong right now.

It looks like Brendan is going to sink or swim this season. And given that's the situation he finds himself in, at least he has been able to choose his own man to help. If he likes the guy and shares a similar philosophy, maybe it will click quickly. Good luck!

* It feels like a low-cost appointment to me, and if Brendan gets fired, the Dutch coach might survive a new regime coming in, but not Driscoll and Rodgers. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess: anti-Rodgers = WTF is this shit? Pro-Rodgers = WTF is the problem?

I'd be an exception.. I don't like Brendan Rodgers, I'm glad he's got his own man though, so he'd have no excuses. It surprised me a bit that prima facie he's a bit of a nothing coach.

It looks like a BR decision and my conclusion would be he wanted someone alongside him who shares his footballing beliefs and has actually dealt with managing a club and had to deal with everything that comes along with it.

Judging by BRs comments earlier about O'Driscoll it appears BR thinks he is one of the top coaches in England and thinks he would deserve a job in the top league.If he rates him that highly having him onside and helping with the day to day stuff would make sense.

As for his career he done well and was then fucked off early on in his next two jobs, maybe he couldn't bother starting over from the bottom again or wasn't getting offers.We've all seen how English managers get forgotten about quickly like Curbishley and others, atleast O'Driscolls talent was recognised by being given the England u19 job.

Shares his football beliefs?

His job is the win games without damaging the LFC 'brand'. That's it.

Once he's winning games, then he can fine tune the style of play. But winning is the name of the game, and that's the only real belief he needs to have.

One of the best coaches in England?

Perhaps he is, but Rogers can't possibly know that. It's like having a really bright work colleague and calling him one of the best in the industry. It's a soundbite.

Rogers can't possibly have much knowledge of every coach in the league and the work they do day in day out. He might know a dozen with some detail (at best), and if he's that good, one would assume he tried to get him last time around?

If you're going to use the England U19 job as a recognition of talent, then surely you have to use the lack of 50 other top clubs not hiring him as a recognition as a lack of talent?

I think Rogers is hiring a mate to play 'bad cop' (while he plays good cop) for as long as his job lasts. The Liverpool no 2 role will be tempting to many, but not tempting enough for most top names (if it's only likely to be for 6 months). The only way that would happen is if FSG brought in the no 2 (and the no 2 thought he might get a sniff of the job if Rogers is sacked).

• Upvote 2

I'd be an exception.. I don't like Brendan Rodgers, I'm glad he's got his own man though, so he'd have no excuses. It surprised me a bit that prima facie he's a bit of a nothing coach.

If it all goes tits up next season he'll find excuses and none of it will be down to him.

Once he's winning games, then he can fine tune the style of play. But winning is the name of the game, and that's the only real belief he needs to have.

Perhaps he is, but Rogers can't possibly know that. It's like having a really bright work colleague and calling him one of the best in the industry. It's a soundbite.

Rogers can't possibly have much knowledge of every coach in the league and the work they do day in day out. He might know a dozen with some detail (at best), and if he's that good, one would assume he tried to get him last time around?

If you're going to use the England U19 job as a recognition of talent, then surely you have to use the lack of 50 other top clubs not hiring him as a recognition as a lack of talent?

I think Rogers is hiring a mate to play 'bad cop' (while he plays good cop) for as long as his job lasts. The Liverpool no 2 role will be tempting to many, but not tempting enough for most top names (if it's only likely to be for 6 months). The only way that would happen is if FSG brought in the no 2 (and the no 2 thought he might get a sniff of the job if Rogers is sacked).

Attacking football is part of the agreement BR has with the owners, they mention it every time they speak about him and said how important it was when they hired him.

You may be right that he's being brought in to play bad cop, I would personally like someone at the club who plays that role as we have seen BR always supports the players while at times I've felt they deserved a bollocking.

I put this on the MF earlier but here's a list of Assistant Managers by club at the start of last season...

Arsenal - Steve Bould

Aston Villa - Roy Keane

Burnley - Ian Woan

Chelsea - Steve Holland

Crystal Palace - Keith Millen

Everton - Graeme Jones

Hull City - Steve Agnew

Leicester City - Steve Walsh & Craig Shakespeare

Liverpool  - Colin Pascoe

Manchester City - Brian Kidd & Ruben Cousillas

Manchester United - Ryan Giggs

Newcastle - John Carver

QPR - Kevin Bond

Southampton - Erwin Koeman

Stoke - Mark Bowen

Sunderland - Mauricio Taricco

Swansea - Josep Clotet

Spurs - Jesus Perez

West Brom - none

West Ham - Neil McDonald

With a couple of exceptions that list is hardly full of people who are very well known or have achieved a lot in the game.  A quick google shows that Chelsea's Assistant Manager had only the one managerial appointment at Crewe where he was sacked after a year and set them up for relegation.

The issue people really have is that Rodgers is staying rather than who he has as assistant.

• Upvote 8

I put this on the MF earlier but here's a list of Assistant Managers by club at the start of last season...

Arsenal - Steve Bould

Aston Villa - Roy Keane

Burnley - Ian Woan

Chelsea - Steve Holland

Crystal Palace - Keith Millen

Everton - Graeme Jones

Hull City - Steve Agnew

Leicester City - Steve Walsh & Craig Shakespeare

Liverpool - Colin Pascoe

Manchester City - Brian Kidd & Ruben Cousillas

Manchester United - Ryan Giggs

Newcastle - John Carver

QPR - Kevin Bond

Southampton - Erwin Koeman

Stoke - Mark Bowen

Sunderland - Mauricio Taricco

Swansea - Josep Clotet

Spurs - Jesus Perez

West Brom - none

West Ham - Neil McDonald

With a couple of exceptions that list is hardly full of people who are very well known or have achieved a lot in the game. A quick google shows that Chelsea's Assistant Manager had only the one managerial appointment at Crewe where he was sacked after a year and set them up for relegation.

The issue people really have is that Rodgers is staying rather than who he has as assistant.

I dont know who the fuck you think you are coming on here with facts but but cut it out will ya we deal in hypotheses on here.

I mean why didnt rodgers get Pele to be assistant manager when he was here in march.

Imagine the best footballer of the last generation as assistant manager? People would be crying we should have got sean o driscoll.

I think the issue for some people is that because Rodgers is our manager we require an assistant manager with European experience, and of winning. Because Rodgers doesn't.

Personally, I don't really care all that much. It feels very much like we're shifting deckchairs around. In fact, if anything, I think Rodgers deserves the autonomy to choose whoever he wants in order for there to be more accountability if we have another appalling season. I don't have much faith that owners would make the necessary changes even if we did, though.

• Upvote 4

I'm not arsed either way as it's Rodgers head that will roll if all fails but it does sound like Rodgers has  shafted his coaches a bit, like he's said they can't get across his complex and brilliant ideas.

That Bascombe thing about LFC wanting him to be a guru and turning coaches into managers sounds a load of shite, I mean why... we going to start selling them too or are we just creating a human centipede of replacement managers take tonnes of shit off one manager and pass it down to the next, we don't want fans actually expecting us too search for a manager that might have higher ambitions, so here is the chain of replacements, all made in the image of the Rodgers. 

I'm not joking Rodgers needs to massively step the fuck up for the coming season.

• Upvote 1

'Here's the new assistant manager lads' 'cool, where's he worked.' 'Doncaster'. '......'

Most/many Donny fans consider him the best manager they've ever had. Now the pool of elite managerial talent that has worked there maybe small and nor is he coming to manage, but it's probably worth adding.

A recognition of talent getting the under 19 job! Aidy Boothroyd got the under 20 job and John Beck is in charge of coaching.