You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

What would be acceptable then?

How much are you willing to pay for a 26 year old, captain of another team who just had an excellent season?

10 is too cheap and 24 is too dear. So ideally somewhere along the region of 15 to 20 would be acceptable but I really cannot see Southampton selling at that price.

*Transfer request handed in by Lallana

15-18 million

60k per week wages

No bonuses, add on's or sell on clauses whatsoever.

Either that or enjoy next season under Adkins fighting relegation, or let Spurs pay the 25 million.

Not sure about that. Don't see playing well in the Championship and in Holland as being that much a difference in quality. 

I think the issue here is that I'm actually not that bothered about proven World Class Talent and just want to buy players that we can see can hit that level with us. Every single year there are dozens of players sold that would all massively improve our side yet aren't "Proven World Class". I'd much rather go for them get it right.

The risk in buying comes mostly from the skill of the person doing the assessment, and not from any other criteria. I don't think someone looking at Vidal before he went to Juve would be worried about him not having a track record behind him; they'd just back their judgement on the player.

Basically, I don't think you should be employed by LFC if you need a long track record to judge a player. He is what he is. Assess him. If you aren't capable of doing that based on his last 12-18 months then you're probably not elite level, are you?

This has nothing to do with my own personal ability to spot a player. Andy Carroll looked like he would own the premiership for years to come. Lallana is most definitely a great player. £30m great? I don't think so. With time and experience, the risks of a player having a turnaround in fortunes are reduced. This is because for a multitude of reasons, the conditions on which they build a platform to perform are consistent. Their training, mentality, lifestyle, diet, coaching, team mates, aspirations etc. There have been many non-world class players that could have improved us, but for £30m? 

I think you'll find it hard to find anyone who has seen him play to deny his talent. We just disagree on the valuation. I'm not wrong, and neither are you. It's opinion, and mine is different to yours. Just because one person is willing the club to pay a certain price, it doesn't mean they're worth it. And vice versa. 

• Upvote 1

I pulled any player out, off the top of my head, that didn't have any track record of being a "Proven World Class Talent" and it's still a really weak reply. The point is that he had no track record of being excellent at the top level and was, what, 2 years younger than Lallana?

LFC think that he's their top option for improving the side next season. The side that finished 2nd. So he's worth the money. If the people who have made him their top target are worried about paying £20m for him then, quite simply, he shouldn't be the top target.

I'm still waiting for your better options or reasons why you think the player won't work here.

I couldn't disagree more

I couldn't disagree more

How?

Either he's the player we think will most improve us and we pay £20m or there's a player that will improve us more so he becomes the top target. How is that not logically sound?

Unless you're saying that LFC shouldn't pay £20m for the player in the world they most think will improve the side. Surely that would be mental?

He showed it for Basel in the CL against big clubs. He's appeared for Bayern plenty of times and would cost less money.

Plenty of times?

740 odd mins over 17 games in the Bundesliga. He would cost in the £15ml plus range. I like what I saw a couple of years ago but he is hardly the proven talent some are making him out to be.

He showed it for Basel in the CL against big clubs.  He's appeared for Bayern plenty of times and would cost less money.

Having a few good games and being on the fringes at Bayern is not doing it. Being one of the top players in your league all season is doing it (especially when not surrounded with amazing talent). Costing less money is not a selling point. Either he's better or we don't sign him.

Mentioning players on £200k+ a week contracts when quibbling over price doesn't stack up either.

• Upvote 1

Arguing on a rational basis is a poor strategy based on the irrational sums being payed for players in today's football.

Maybe the right way to look at this is that Lallana is much better than one third as good as Bale; so he is actually a bargain.

Exactly. If we go by what David Luiz has just been sold for then Lallana is probably an 80m player. Nobody tell Southampton we're mugging them off

I pulled any player out, off the top of my head, that didn't have any track record of being a "Proven World Class Talent" and it's still a really weak reply. The point is that he had no track record of being excellent at the top level and was, what, 2 years younger than Lallana?

Juventus signed him for 10.5 million euros. Not quite sure the point you're trying to make here.

How does Vidal playing over 200 games in the Bundesliga and Serie A, scoring 43 goals in the process on top of 53 full international caps and moving for a combined fee of 15-20 million have any relation to Lallana other than them being close to the same age?

Juventus signed him for 10.5 million euros. Not quite sure the point you're trying to make here

Clearly. 

He had no record of being a success at the top level by the age of about 24. He was then amazing.

It is, in itself, not a valid reason to not buy him.

I don't want LFC going cheaper because they want to play safe. I want them to pick who they think the best player is and buy him. If that means it's Lallana at £25m then so be it.

Also, if it was some fucker I've never heard of for £5m, or some fucker I have that is a big name and was £40m, then again, so be it. This summer you pick the ones you want and you get them. Quality, not quantity, and not messing about for the sake of £5m.

There's plenty of Champions League money available to sooth a bit of overpaying but you need to be in it come the end of the season when it doubles. 

How about 20 million with a 10 million bonus if he plays regularly in a title winning team? Or 5 mill for any trophy he helps us win? That could mean Soton throwing the odd league game too! ;-)

I read someone somewhere say true value can only be known with hindsight, which is essentially true.

Clearly. 

He had no record of being a success at the top level by the age of about 24. He was then amazing.

More so than Lallana and went for a fraction of the price. He wasn't playing in the second or third tier of German football, he was playing for Bayer Leverkusen.

The whole situation with Bournemouth is like me buying a brand new car for £10,000, causing £2500 pounds worth of damage via my own stupidity, getting it fixed and then making it available for £12,500 second hand, just to cover the cost of the damages.  Why would you pay £2500 more for a second hand car?

Likewise why do Southampton expect us to pay 25% on top of our valuation, for their stupidity?

• Upvote 1

How about 20 million with a 10 million bonus if he plays regularly in a title winning team? Or 5 mill for any trophy he helps us win? That could mean Soton throwing the odd league game too! ;-)

I read someone somewhere say true value can only be known with hindsight, which is essentially true.

I said that.

I was right too.

The whole situation with Bournemouth is like me buying a brand new car for £10,000, causing £2500 pounds worth of damage via my own stupidity, getting it fixed and then making it available for £12,500 second hand, just to cover the cost of the damages.  Why would you pay £2500 more for a second hand car?

Likewise why do Southampton expect us to pay 25% on top of our valuation, for their stupidity?

Because they don't really want to sell their car.