You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

The number of howlers is not the issue, the issue is that he hardly saves anything. Apart from penalties of course, he’s got the same save percentage on penalties as he’s got from open play ffs.

He’s clearly one of the worst keepers in the PL, probably the worst. Not saying Karius is better, he probably isn’t, for the time being at least.

Your last sentence I fully agree with, even I would prefer it to happen in January.

He made a one of the best saves I’ve seen against Brighton. I think he’s average nowhere near the worst in the league.

How many howlers has he made this season?

I know we need a great goalie. I want us to buy one next summer!

He shouldn't be making any at this stage of his career if he wants to play for a team that supposedly wants to challenge for the highest honours. How long has he had to prove that he won't make them - and if he does it's genuinely accepted as a one-off rather than a character trait?

I saw another shocking stat.

Arsenal had four shots on target yesterday and scored three.

Against Utd they had 33 shots, 16 on target and yet Utd only conceded one and won the game 3-1.

That’s the difference between a Mignolet and a De Gea.

Unbelievable really. I’ve said numerous times that the difference between De Gea and Mignolet is 15-20 points over a season.

Even an average PL keeper would probably give us at least 10-15 more by the looks of it.

He shouldn't be making any at this stage of his career if he wants to play for a team that supposedly wants to challenge for the highest honours. How long has he had to prove that he won't make them - and if he does it's genuinely accepted as a one-off rather than a character trait?

Again a goalkeeper as brilliant as Cech made the same mistake last night. Lloris has made a handful of mistakes this season also.

De Gea is the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment. Maybe the best the premier league has ever seen.

You say that like it's OK and it's acceptable. I hope you don't think that!

Again a goalkeeper as brilliant as Cech made the same mistake last night. Lloris has made a handful of mistakes this season also.

But you could put an argument forward that Firmino was left unmarked by the defenders just outside the penalty area. Xhaka's goal was scored from a good 30 yards out straight at him.

But you could put an argument forward that Firmino was left unmarked by the defenders just outside the penalty area. Xhaka's goal was scored from a good 30 yards out straight at him.

It was straight at him though. It was a bad mistake by Cech, though I’d take him tomorrow.

I’m saying comparing any goalkeeper to De Gea is unfair. It’s like comparing a striker to Suarez. I accept that Mignolet had a shit game last night.

But we should have a keeper that compares favourably with De Gea. He took a while to settle in the League and made a lot of mistakes in his first season. Then he realised what he had to do to improve and did it. Now he is very good. Same with Lloris.

This is where Mignolet has failed. He doesn't know how to improve his game.

He made a one of the best saves I’ve seen against Brighton. I think he’s average nowhere near the worst in the league.

Why then does he concede 2-3 times as many from the attempts on target compared to the average keepers? I do think different styles of play can explain some of it, but not all.

His true level is too low, it’s that simple. He may have had a decent season by his own standards, the problem is that those standards are not good enough.

But we should have a keeper that compares favourably with De Gea. He took a while to settle in the League and made a lot of mistakes in his first season. Then he realised what he had to do to improve and did it. Now he is very good. Same with Lloris.

This is where Mignolet has failed. He doesn't know how to improve his game.

Agreed. I think we’re 90% in agreement shooter.

He obviously makes to many howlers. Still, the number of howlers isn’t the main issue. Which basically just underlines how bad he is.

I knew he didn’t save much, and I definately knew he doesn’t make many match winning saves.

But the stat showing that he saves 1.1 shots for every goal he conceded still was shocking news to me. That really shows how bad he is. Of course the number of clear cut chances the team allow the opposition plays a part. But still. Every second attempt on target go in. Compared to De Gea and Pope letting in every sixth.

If this is correct then United have conceded 12 from about 72 shots on target this season, while we have conceded 23 from about 46.

Which again means if the teams swapped goalies, United would be on 36 conceded and we’d be on about 8.

Of course the stats won’t reflect reality 1:1 like that, but I still find those figures absolutely shocking.

And they deffo prove how weak we are at GK.

Some people say he’s had a good season, and probably base that on that he’s not been making howlers on a regular basis. These stats prove that if he didn’t make a big mistake for the rest of his career, he still wouldn’t be anywhere near good enough. The same, sadly, applies for players like Moreno and even more so Klavan. Going a game or two without causing a massive fuck up will never ever make them good enough to play for this club.

This has been happening for years. I posted about his saves per goal in 15/16 and last year. They were both atrocious and at the bottom of the league. It completely destroys this phony notion that he's a good shot-stopper. In fact, he's one of the worst, and has been for a long time. And then of course, he's still below average at collecting crosses and absolutely atrocious with his feet.

So not only is he the most mistake prone player (not just keeper), or thereabouts, but he also concedes from routine shots and wins us far fewer points than other keepers do.

That he should be benched should be unanimous among everybody who isn't on a windup. The evidence over a long period of time is staggering.  

• Upvote 2

People are wanting him replaced as Liverpool keeper. I am under no illusion Klopp realistically cannot do that until January or more likely the summer. Klopp also needs to change his goalkeeper coach otherwise changing the keeper will be a waste of time again.

Yup. 2 hands and your body behind the ball. That is what you are taught from you start as a fk at 3 years old. This whopper isn’t doing it at the age of 29 and our gk coach isn’t deilling it into them. It is unbelievable how popr the both are at the total basic stuff.

What was that Polish keeper who kept out all but 1 shot on target by England in that 1973 WC qualifier. Tomachesky or something. He made loads of brilliant saves in that game but as one pundit at the time said he was a clown.