You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Mignolet made loads of mistakes after the 2nd. He went down too early on the 3rd. He flapped one just over the bar and post nearly turning it into the goal. He fumbled a low down shot and the Arsenal forward had a couple of goes at the ball because he didnt keep it cleanly. That 2nd goal was a routine tip over the bar but his body shape was all wrong never mind his weak wrists. The lad is shiter than shit but Jurgens problem is Karius is as bad if not worse.

What you say is true, but Huddersfield did try to take him again and klopp wouldn't let them.  He wanted to use ward to put pressure on the other two. 

Huddersfield is about wards level IMO.

And Mignolet is Sunderland's level. I'd put him in the bottom 6 of Premier League keepers. He's what? 29? He's not learning from his mistakes, every shot he faces seems to go in, he's costing us far too many points and is a total liability.

Time to fuck off Simon.

Bad mistake for the second. However he’s had a good season. I’m not overly comfortable with chopping and changing goalkeepers. 

I don't think we're talking about chopping and changing on a whim.  We're talking about replacing someone who is guaranteed to cost you points with a competent goalkeeper.

A good keeper on a poor run of form can be forgiven.  A consistently bad keeper needs to be replaced sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think we're talking about chopping and changing on a whim. We're talking about replacing someone who is guaranteed to cost you points with a competent goalkeeper.

A good keeper on a poor run of form can be forgiven. A consistently bad keeper needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.

He hasn’t had a bad season so far. Relegating him to the bench now off the back of a bad mistake is “chopping and changing on a whim”.

He hasn’t had a bad season so far. Relegating him to the bench now off the back of a bad mistake is “chopping and changing on a whim”.

People are wanting him replaced as Liverpool keeper. I am under no illusion Klopp realistically cannot do that until January or more likely the summer. Klopp also needs to change his goalkeeper coach otherwise changing the keeper will be a waste of time again.

People are wanting him replaced as Liverpool keeper. I am under no illusion Klopp realistically cannot do that until January or more likely the summer. Klopp also needs to change his goalkeeper coach otherwise changing the keeper will be a waste of time again.

So do I. Dropping him now after one mistake seems pointless to me and adds unnecessary extra pressure to Karius/Ward.

Anyone who thinks Danny Ward is better than either of them (and make no mistake, I fully agree that Mignolet is rubbish) can't have watched him play much.

There's a reason Huddersfield weren't interested in extending the loan another year when they came up. He wasn't even good in the Championship. Our fans seem to have built him up as a saviour in their minds on the back of a good preseason game and a good penalty shootout in the playoffs last season.

Ward will be playing at a level below the Premier League in a few years, is what I'm saying. He is far from the player to come in and fix our goalkeeper problem.

And that is nothing short of the truth. The big problem with the GK situation is that it´s probably not going to be fixed either. He stuck with Weidenfeller for years at Dortmund and to be fair, he was pretty shit aswell.

So do I. Dropping him now after one mistake seems pointless to me and adds unnecessary extra pressure to Karius/Ward.

Liverpool Football Club places pressure on all players, it's necessary to perform to the highest level. If a player cannot perform under pressure, they are not players. They are mannequins.

Stick an actual mannequin in goal and it probably saved that second goal as it was right at him.

Liverpool Football Club places pressure on all players, it's necessary to perform to the highest level. If a player cannot perform under pressure, they are not players. They are mannequins.

Stick an actual mannequin in goal and it probably saved that second goal as it was right at him.

I did say extra. What if Karius makes a howler, drop him for Ward? Then what if Ward makes a howler, etc.

I did say extra. What if Karius makes a howler, drop him for Ward? Then what if Ward makes a howler, etc.

How many howlers is a keeper allowed to make before he is dropped? One? Let him off if he learns from it. Two? If it's his fault something needs to happen as he's not learning. Is someone else responsible for allowing the situation to develop in front of him? Three? Now there is a problem.

How many has Mignolet made over the years? If someone can put an actual number up, I guarantee it will be double figures. He's not developing, he's not learning, he's found his standard and the only way it's going to go is either level off or down. It's not going up.

If Karius keeps making multiple mistakes and so does Mignolet then they're both not good enough and they should be relegated to the reserves, sold or loaned out. They should have superior replacements signed. It's a game and this is how the game works. If your pieces aren't good enough, improve them. If you don't, you lose.

How many howlers is a keeper allowed to make before he is dropped? One? Let him off if he learns from it. Two? If it's his fault something needs to happen as he's not learning. Is someone else responsible for allowing the situation to develop in front of him? Three? Now there is a problem.

How many has Mignolet made over the years? If someone can put an actual number up, I guarantee it will be double figures. He's not developing, he's not learning, he's found his stabdard and the only way it's going to go is either level off or down. It's not going up.

If Karius keeps making multiple mistakes and so does Mignolet then they're both not good enough and they should be relegated to the reserves, sold or loaned out. They should have superior replacements signed. It's a game and this is how the game works. If your pieces aren't good enough, improve them. If you don't, you lose.

Klopp picked Mignolet as his first choice goalkeeper in the league at the start of the season. He knew that Mig will make some mistakes over the course of the season. As I pointed out before even the best goalkeepers make mistakes e.g., Cech made exactly the same mistake last night. This season Mignolet in general has been good. In fact he has been a good goalkeeper since we brought him back into the team after the Karius experiment. I also think we need better. Hopefully we bring one in next summer. Dropping him now, off the back of a mistake, is not the right move I don’t think.

He obviously makes to many howlers. Still, the number of howlers isn’t the main issue. Which basically just underlines how bad he is.

I knew he didn’t save much, and I definately knew he doesn’t make many match winning saves.

But the stat showing that he saves 1.1 shots for every goal he conceded still was shocking news to me. That really shows how bad he is. Of course the number of clear cut chances the team allow the opposition plays a part. But still. Every second attempt on target go in. Compared to De Gea and Pope letting in every sixth.

If this is correct then United have conceded 12 from about 72 shots on target this season, while we have conceded 23 from about 46.

Which again means if the teams swapped goalies, United would be on 36 conceded and we’d be on about 8.

Of course the stats won’t reflect reality 1:1 like that, but I still find those figures absolutely shocking.

And they deffo prove how weak we are at GK.

Some people say he’s had a good season, and probably base that on that he’s not been making howlers on a regular basis. These stats prove that if he didn’t make a big mistake for the rest of his career, he still wouldn’t be anywhere near good enough. The same, sadly, applies for players like Moreno and even more so Klavan. Going a game or two without causing a massive fuck up will never ever make them good enough to play for this club.

• Upvote 1

Klopp picked Mignolet as his first choice goalkeeper in the league at the start of the season. He knew that Mig will make some mistakes over the course of the season. As I pointed out before even the best goalkeepers make mistakes e.g., Cech made exactly the same mistake last night. This season Mignolet in general has been good. In fact he has been a good goalkeeper since we brought him back into the team after the Karius experiment. I also think we need better. Hopefully we bring one in next summer. Dropping him now, off the back of a mistake, is not the right move I don’t think.

I agree with most of this post; all keepers make mistakes. Cech made a similar mistake. Mignolet should be replaced at the earliest opportunity. If that's the end of the season so be it.

But to say he shouldn't be dropped now would be so damaging to team morale that it's actually more dangerous to NOT drop him. Did you see the whole team for ten minutes after the third goal? They were completely destroyed and had no idea how on earth they were losing when five minutes before they were 2-0 up. The first goal is on Gomez. He will learn from that, I am sure. He's young and will develop. The second and third are 100% on Mignolet. Not strong enough to save the second, going to ground way too early for the third. Stay big. Give the striker a job to do to get past you. Karius IMO saves the second and third goals.

Point is, the team morale will be destroyed if he is allowed to keep making mistakes like that and our best attacking players will not want to be a part of the same team as someone who makes that many mistakes and undoes all their hard work. It shouldn't be part of the remit that a team has to score four goals to guarantee a win.

No-one is suggesting to drop players on a whim as you are suggesting here.  The howler itself is not a problem.  It's the consistency with which they occur and the fact that when not doing howlers, he's only average that's the real problem. 

As you say he hasn't had a bad season, but the fact is if we are be successful we need a keeper to have a good season.  And the consistency of howlers has pretty much everyone convinced that he won't ever have a good season.

No-one is suggesting to drop players on a whim as you are suggesting here. The howler itself is not a problem. It's the consistency with which they occur and the fact that when not doing howlers, he's only average that's the real problem.

As you say he hasn't had a bad season, but the fact is if we are be successful we need a keeper to have a good season. And the consistency of howlers has pretty much everyone convinced that he won't have a good season.

How many howlers has he made this season?

I know we need a great goalie. I want us to buy one next summer!

I agree with most of this post; all keepers make mistakes. Cech made a similar mistake. Mignolet should be replaced at the earliest opportunity. If that's the end of the season so be it.

But to say he shouldn't be dropped now would be so damaging to team morale that it's actually more dangerous to NOT drop him. Did you see the whole team for ten minutes after the third goal? They were completely destroyed and had no idea how on earth they were losing when five minutes before they were 2-0 up. The first goal is on Gomez. He will learn from that, I am sure. He's young and will develop. The second and third are 100% on Mignolet. Not strong enough to save the second, going to ground way too early for the third. Stay big. Give the striker a job to do to get past you. Karius IMO saves the second and third goals.

Point is, the team morale will be destroyed if he is allowed to keep making mistakes like that and our best attacking players will not want to be a part of the same team as someone who makes that many mistakes and undoes all their hard work. It shouldn't be part of the remit that a team has to score four goals to guarantee a win.

If you assess the season he’s having so far, I don’t think it warrants dropping. If he keeps making costly mistakes then yes.

He obviously makes to many howlers. Still, the number of howlers isn’t the main issue. Which basically just underlines how bad he is.

I knew he didn’t save much, and I definately knew he doesn’t make many match winning saves.

But the stat showing that he saves 1.1 shots for every goal he conceded still was shocking news to me. That really shows how bad he is. Of course the number of clear cut chances the team allow the opposition plays a part. But still. Every second attempt on target go in. Compared to De Gea and Pope letting in every sixth.

If this is correct then United have conceded 12 from about 72 shots on target this season, while we have conceded 23 from about 46.

Which again means if the teams swapped goalies, United would be on 36 conceded and we’d be on about 8.

Of course the stats won’t reflect reality 1:1 like that, but I still find those figures absolutely shocking.

And they deffo prove how weak we are at GK.

Some people say he’s had a good season, and probably base that on that he’s not been making howlers on a regular basis. These stats prove that if he didn’t make a big mistake for the rest of his career, he still wouldn’t be anywhere near good enough. The same, sadly, applies for players like Moreno and even more so Klavan. Going a game or two without causing a massive fuck up will never ever make them good enough to play for this club.

I saw another shocking stat.

Arsenal had four shots on target yesterday and scored three.

Against Utd they had 33 shots, 16 on target and yet Utd only conceded one and won the game 3-1.

That’s the difference between a Mignolet and a De Gea.

• Upvote 3

How many howlers has he made this season?

I know we need a great goalie. I want us to buy one next summer!

The number of howlers is not the issue, the issue is that he hardly saves anything. Apart from penalties of course, he’s got the same save percentage on penalties as he’s got from open play ffs.

He’s clearly one of the worst keepers in the PL, probably the worst. Not saying Karius is better, he probably isn’t, for the time being at least.

Your last sentence I fully agree with, even I would prefer it to happen in January.

I saw another shocking stat.

Arsenal had four shots on target yesterday and scored three.

Against Utd they had 33 shots, 16 on target and yet Utd only conceded one and won the game 3-1.

That’s the difference between a Mignolet and a De Gea.

De Gea is the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment. Maybe the best the premier league has ever seen.