You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

Right after Lambert came on he, Johnson, had a throw in. Ricky was tapping his chest for the ball as he was unmarked, and Johnson threw it directly to a Chelsea player covering Balotelli, I think, on the touch line, starting a break down the right side. 

It's little things like that send me off.

I noticed that one too

balotellis man for the goal. sky showed it. balotelli was touch tight to him in the build up to the free kick being taken and then lost him.

Watch it again, Skrtel follows his man, Balotelli gets drawn forward to stop the run of Costa because Henderson loses him and Ivanovic and Zouma are both completely unmarked in the centre. Glen was meant to mark Zouma and just stands there when the free kick is taken, doesn't even bother to follow his marker, or any of their players. At least Balotelli tried to stop someone, as did Skrtel, Glen did absolutely nothing.

did you critique any of the rest of the teams performances or do you just have a file on Johnson?

No just a file on johnson. I even have one for how he operates in a store using his credit card.

If you read what I said a few pages back you'd know I didn't single him out for being responsible for the result. But what he did when he was on the pitch was just inexcusable for a pro footballer. And it's not the first time. It's been the same for a number of years. He's a league 1 level player at best.

• Upvote 6

No just a file on johnson. I even have one for how he operates in a store using his credit card.

If you read what I said a few pages back you'd know I didn't single him out for being responsible for the result. But what he did when he was on the pitch was just inexcusable for a pro footballer. And it's not the first time. It's been the same for a number of years. He's a league 1 level player at best.

He d probably get 30.goals a season in league 1 in fairness

I'd hoped he'd be able to turn things round and find some form - it's in this thread - but that's simply not going to happen. He's a shadow of the player he used to be and I've no idea why or how he would warrant a new contract. Tonight was a reaffirmation of how poor he's become. Needs fucking off.

did you critique any of the rest of the teams performances or do you just have a file on Johnson?

What effect would that have on whether Johnson's performance was good enough?  It's not an either/or proposition, Christ knows we should be used to more than one of our players turning in a gash performance.

Seriously mate, if you don't think he did much wrong tonight I think I must have misunderstood the whole point of the game of football.  The reason that so many people point out myriad failings in his game over and over again isn't (in the main) because they've randomly decided he's the pinata that we both need and deserve, it's because they are there for all to see.

• Upvote 1

Personally I'd like him fired out a cannon (at a wall) but us being clever sods will probably sign him up for another 4 years.

Was just about to suggest him becoming a human cannonball.

Not sure what this means, but probably bad news for you if we're thinking along similar lines.

Sorry.

or indeed the crudely reanimated corpse of Andre the fucking Giant.

Even just dumped on the pitch and not reanimated it would stop more crosses coming in than Johnson.

Should he get a new contract? No he should get a fucking slap and be sent on his way. 

I predict we won't renew his contract and then in a West Ham Carlton Cole style showing of gross incompetence will panic into giving him a contract at the last minute before the free transfer window slams shut.

• 3 months later...