You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

Don't sign any new players that have experience because they don't suit our transfer philosophy, yet keep the shit experienced players we already have and give them longer deals. Yeah that should do it. 

Operation fuckwit is go. 

• Upvote 3

Forget top four, it's amazing we're still in the top flight. It's another shocking decision in a litany of shite decisions.

Seems they have no one whose job it is to monitor the supporters popular consensus. Perhaps by visiting forums such as this one, because taking just a cursory glance at a thread such as this, would make it crystal clear that Johnson is not highly rated and is not a player that we would deem it necessary to give a large amount of what would seem to be our rather limited wage budget.

Listen to your customers. It's the first rule of business for god's sake. NO ONE RATES JOHNSON. Stop giving him large amounts of our money. 

I'm sure people will say this is kneejerk, and maybe they're right, but this honestly causes the amount of doubt I have in Brendan Rodgers as the long-term manager of Liverpool to go way, way up.

I was just starting to come around to the fact that he learns from his mistakes - he may make some mind-blowing mistakes (like signing Lovren for 20m to replace our best defender) but at least he's not stubborn.  If his "philosophy" isn't working, he adapts it to find one that does.  4-4-2 is a failure after 10 games?  He's not afraid to go 3-4-3 and totally change everything if it brings results.  Unheralded youth player Flanagan outplays your 6m signing Enrique?  Fine, play him ahead of Jose and see if we can't win the league that way.

I've been waiting to see what he does with Lovren and Johnson, though, just hoping that he would continue in that vein.  These are two players that have shown nothing to recommend them to be on the pitch, Johnson for about 3 seasons now and Lovren ever since he put on a red shirt.

I was hoping, really hoping that Lovren would come back from injury and split time with Toure on the bench, maybe playing every now and then when Sakho needs a rest.  That would take balls from Brendan but I was hopeful based on what I mentioned above about him not clinging to mistakes.  Johnson is the same way - an expensive player on big wages, and the question was whether Rodgers had the bollocks to let him walk away for free.

If this news is true, and we're offering Johnson a new contract, then maybe Brendan really isn't as good at learning from his mistakes as we'd hoped.  And if that's the case then I'm not really sure he's the man for Liverpool over the long term.  This is a mistake on the level of Lovren if it happens, and it's patently obvious that it's a mistake to everyone with half a brain.

• Upvote 4

In terms of gerrard not getting a new contract and johnson supposedly getting one - it must be the age of 30 is the last age they will offer you a long term contract. Skrtel is supposed to be getting a new long term one as well.

I don't mind johnson and I think he gets a lot of stick because it coincided with our post rafa demise.

• Downvote 1

I think its right that there's probably been little interest from clubs he thought would be interested. Apparently roma expressed an interest but Italian clubs arent that wealthy so they were probably talking a lot less money than even Liverpool were offering.

This new deal if he does sign will be nowhere near his current £120k a week. Think £60k to £70k.

Seems they have no one whose job it is to monitor the supporters popular consensus. Perhaps by visiting forums such as this one, because taking just a cursory glance at a thread such as this, would make it crystal clear that Johnson is not highly rated and is not a player that we would deem it necessary to give a large amount of what would seem to be our rather limited wage budget.

Listen to your customers. It's the first rule of business for god's sake. NO ONE RATES JOHNSON. Stop giving him large amounts of our money. 

Is this post some sort of joke?  Personally I am glad the club is not run on this basis. 

• Upvote 1

He should have been told to go in the summer. This is poor especially in the light of the failure to persuade Gerrard to stay in a more limited role. I suppose the difference is Stevie still has some fire in his belly and won't lie down whilst this twat is happy to pocket millions every year for spending half his time doing fuck all.

We just keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Depressing to say the least