You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The let's be positive thread

Stickman

• 3 weeks later...

Disregarding the awful defending and finishing, some of our play and the way we created chances and had players running in behind was as well as we ve played all season. De Gea has made one outstanding save from balotelli onto the bar but the others he made were us making him look good.

• 4 months later...

Well, I guess it's coming up to that time of year when Stockholm syndrome kicks in, so I'll try to put a spin on things:

We've been shit, played lethargic football, with the manager using the team sheet as a sudoku puzzle, no discernible plan other than one brief run of form, and our strike force have simultaneously been running through treacle and a danger to low flying aircraft.

Yet, we're fifth, and if we weren't quite so comically bad in the first half of the season we'd have been fourth. As someone who's become more critical of Rodgers, even I'm doubtful he could replicate our shiteness from those early months.

Coutinho's signed a new contract, and did so without fuss.

Sterling's turned to shit, so no one will really cry if he leaves.

Mig's grown a beard and a pair of testicles.

Should we sign one striker who doesn't look like he's just taken callipers off his legs we should at least be watchable next season.

There, I'm out.

• Upvote 1

I just walked into the barbers and there was no-one waiting!  First time ever.  Off into town in a moment for a nice lunch.  Sun is shining.  Linen suit's coming out.  And I've got a ticket for SGs final game.  I don't even care if we get beat.  

• Upvote 1

I cycled down to Katwijk on Monday as it was about 25 degrees here. I didn't see Dirk Kuyt around anywhere but as I was down near the beach a Mitchell B25 WW2 bomber came unexpectedly roaring overhead. It was especially good as all the cars parked down at the front had German plates. Boss day out.

• Upvote 1

I cycled down to Katwijk on Monday as it was about 25 degrees here. I didn't see Dirk Kuyt around anywhere but as I was down near the beach a Mitchell B25 WW2 bomber came roaring overhead. It was especially good as all the cars parked down at the front had German plates. Boss day out.

haha!  

I just walked into the barbers and there was no-one waiting!  First time ever.  Off into town in a moment for a nice lunch.  Sun is shining.  Linen suit's coming out.  And I've got a ticket for SGs final game.  I don't even care if we get beat.  

Apparently you can get £1,200 for that if you wanted.

That's surely a positive.

The positive is the amount of young talent we have.  Ibe has shown this season he is another who can follow in the footsteps of Sterling.  Can looks a fine player and will get better when we play him in a settled role.  The future looks bright in that regard and we have many other players who could feasibly come through and be good players for us.

Mignolet in the second half of the season has been very good.  He is controlling his area better.  Looks more vocal and is making lots of important saves.  He has gone from being a liability to an asset.

Sakho did really well when fit this season.  He's got everything you want in a CB, despite what the media say.  Strong, mobile, good on the ball, passes quickly & accurately, good in the air and looks to be a bit of a leader - we need as many of these as possible with Gerrard leaving.

I think Skrtel has had a very good season.  He's not perfect, but he is a very good centre back and I see no reason why him and Sakho can't be a fine partnership at the back next season.

Lucas looks to be gaining closer to his best form again.  He'll never be the quickest player and I guess he'll always have his doubters because of that.  But I don't think it is a coincidence that we get more points as a side when he is in the team.

Coutinho is thriving.  Got in the PFA team of the season.  Looks to have improved his finishing and is always a pleasure to watch on the ball.  

Henderson has become one of the best centre mids in the league.  6 goals & 9 assists is a good return.  Not to mention the other things he offers, such as his pressing without the ball - I don't see anyone in Europe as good as him in that regard.  He is also very vocal, always in the refs ear - standing up for his teammates and not being intimidated by the opposition (such as squaring up to Costa).  

I would also add Manquillo as a positive.  I thought he was doing really well at right back before we changed formation and he was ousted.  Not sure why he hasn't returned since we can back to a back four.  As he is our best full back defensively from what I have seen this season.

Think I read we have conceded 14 goals in the last 17 games, which is a big improvement, compared to the past with Rodgers.

Nothing everything is doom and gloom.  We still have a foundation of a very good side.  I We miss some clinical finishing and a couple of class strikers upfront and we could be back in the top four next season.  

Mental image of you doing a Gene Kelly routine when it starts pissing down later on.

• Upvote 1

I said this in another thread and got the usual doom and gloom responses so I'll try here instead.

It could have been a lot worse for us. We lost 50 goals a season and still finished 5th. We've signed some decent players, Can, Moreno and I even reckon Lazar will click for us next season. Lovren and Mig have started to play better as well. This along with the rest of our young squad clicking a bit more next season - I reckon we'll be a force next season. Sign a striker and get Origi in with Sturridge fit and sign a couple of more experienced players and we are on our way. I reckon BROD will get it right again this season and everyone will be sucking his cock again.

For all the ridicule being thrown at him - and he sometimes doesn't help himself - Rodgers has proven himself to be a very good coach in large segments of his three seaons here.

Even this season we went on a lengthy winning run without any quality strikers at our disposal (again, he bears some of the responsiblity for this deficit).

If we can bring in even a top class striker and a top class midfielder, we can be right up there again next time out.

Still blue skies all the way! Just walked back from the city to Waterloo. Glorious. All is well with the world. Or at least it was until I read LFDs post.

Thought you had me on ignore?

In Henderson, we have one of the best throw-in disputers in the league. Always gives 100%.

That he received a lot of praise as some kind of hardman for looking at Diego Costa during a game shows what a soft bunch our current crop are. 

• Upvote 1

I have, but unfortunately that facility doesn't work in tapatalk.  Your post was awful, by the way. 

Another reason why taptalk is shit.

Cool, maybe you could say what you disagreed with?